More resonant/sustaining strings

THE GAMEr

Reaction score
So, I have a Pono uke (Acacia tenor) that I bought about a year ago. I recently got back into playing (college takes so much time!!!) and noticed that the uke doesn't have that great of sustain (3 to 4 seconds of ring, tops). Certainly, this can't be the ukulele...I think it's the strings, since the aquilas on my luna tattoo make it sound a lot louder/more resonant than my pono.

Currently I have Ko'olau Alohi strings on it.Could aquilas bring out the sound more? Worth?

Hmm, I have those same strings on my mahogany concert a lot longer than that and haven't noticed any loss of sustain. It could still be the strings. Not sure you'd be happy with Aquilas unless you like a very bright sounding tenor. Lots of great fluorocarbon strings available to try. Hopefully some Pono acacia tenor owners can make some specific recommendations for strings like Living Waters, Southcoast, Fremont, and more.

Now I feel like a dummy....I meant CONCERT! Haha my bad. But aquilas are bright? That's fine with me.

Worth Clear or Brown.
Martin M600
Living Water Strings

These are fluorocarbon strings that seem to ring for days. Martins are widely available at local music shops.

Strings are a case of use what sounds good to YOU. I'm not a fan of the feel or sound of Aquila strings. They come off immediately when I get an instrument strung with them.

I have a Living Water low G set on my Pono Acacia tenor just now. Kind of blah sounding for first position chords, but when you start getting up the neck they are lucious. I'm just beginning my adventure with 2nd position chords so I'm easily impressed.

The best part about trying different strings is that they are much cheaper than ukulele and can really transform the sound of your instrument.

I have two concerts (Pono mahogany and Covered Bridge Cedar/Claro Walnut) currently strung with Fremont Blacklines. Sustain is very good. The Pono is much louder with the Fremonts than it was with Ko'olau Alohis. Fremonts and Worths seem to have similar properties; both have a warmer tone than Aquilas.

Aquilas are "usually" brighter. Some members have reported a brighter sound with other strings and removed their Aquilas. As has often been said here, the strings work together with the various components of a given instrument to provide a given sound. All you can do is try some. I eventually plan on changing out my Alohi's for Fremonts, but then again, I have the mahogany model and your acacia model will likely be brighter.

I have a mahogany concert Pono, and I have Living Waters on at the minute... I did notice more sustain, warmth and volume over the stock strings. From what I've been told, Worth CMs are pretty much the same as Living Waters too.

Aquilas are "usually" brighter. Some members have reported a brighter sound with other strings and removed their Aquilas. As has often been said here, the strings work together with the various components of a given instrument to provide a given sound. All you can do is try some. I eventually plan on changing out my Alohi's for Fremonts, but then again, I have the mahogany model and your acacia model will likely be brighter.

I have living waters high d on my baritone
great I sustain and tone. I have aquillas
on my tenor and prefer their sound after
trying carbons I find on smaller ukes
aquillas are warmer have a fuller
more bassy and resonate tone and
now I prefer them. for baritone living
water is my go to strings.

If you change to strings with higher tension, perhaps you'll get a bit longer sustain.

My belief is that it's the instrument. Not to say your ukulele is defective. A short scale instrument can only sing so long and no longer. Some will sound a bit longer than others, but most will not better your Pono, no matter what strings you use. It's not a guitar. But, that's a good thing.

If you change to strings with higher tension, perhaps you'll get a bit longer sustain.

My belief is that it's the instrument. Not to say your ukulele is defective. A short scale instrument can only sing so long and no longer. Some will sound a bit longer than others, but most will not better your Pono, no matter what strings you use. It's not a guitar. But, that's a good thing.

or he can do it this way buy an electric steel string and buy a sustain and reverb pedal hahaha it will than sustain :p
but on a serious note, i think it really depends on the uke its self and how it reacts to different strings you just gotta test em all out and see what works best.

Top Bottom