So this is UAS... So many choices! What to buy for my second uke?

Bookworm

Reaction score
I have a Cordoba 15CM concert ukulele right now. I have a little less than $300 to spend on a new uke, but I can't narrow my list down... Do I get a solid body electric uke to play rock music on? A nice soprano? A Makala Dolphin, Shark, or one of these new Ukadelics for the looks?
http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Makala/Ukadelic/UkadelicDetailsPage.html
Maybe even several of those Makalas... ;)

So, what do you think would make a good second uke?

I can't tell you what would make a good second uke for you, but I can tell you that I love my Makala Dolphin. I purchased it from Mike @ Uke Republic and put a set of aurora multi-colored strings on and have been having a blast with it for quite some time. It's my "take everywhere" uke. I've had my eye on the Sharks ever since they came out and I have a feeling, when I have some extra funds to spare (I just bought an Ohana CK-15z from Mim), I'll probably purchase a Shark to go with the Dolphin :)

Happy Uke Shopping :)

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of that--if I got a less expensive Makala, I'd be able to lug it around with me without worrying so much about breaking it. :D

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of that--if I got a less expensive Makala, I'd be able to lug it around with me without worrying so much about breaking it. :D

The question is, do you want another concert or something of a different size? Do you want a semi-indestructible to take anywhere or is the sound the driver?

The other week I picked up a Flea soprano with the idea that it would be a "go anywhere under any conditions" traveler. A Flea or somethng like it is a viable option at your price point.

Also, do you want new or do you feel confident enough to try a used one?

They all will "rock" if the musician wants it to. You may even consider the second instrument have alternative tuning or at least a low G if rock is the main genre.

No matter what, it's a good position to be in....

I decided to get a Makala Shark; I've been wanting a soprano, and this one I'll be able to take anywhere. Plus, I couldn't resist that Mako Blue color. ;)
Of course, since they're still affordable, I still have money left... :drool:
I don't think I want to go for a used one, especially online; I'd be too worried I'd get scammed.

I decided to get a Makala Shark; I've been wanting a soprano, and this one I'll be able to take anywhere. Plus, I couldn't resist that Mako Blue color. ;)
Of course, since they're still affordable, I still have money left... :drool:
I don't think I want to go for a used one, especially online; I'd be too worried I'd get scammed.

Congrats on your Shark! --that's the color I have in mind, too :)

I wouldn't be too worried about purchasing used on this forum -- I've purchased a few things from other members and have never had an issue... everyone has always been very helpful.

Top Bottom