Vintage uke forum?

Go to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum to see the platinum standard for musical instrument forums. Sections on new instruments and vintage instruments coexist happily with folks drifting in and out of each depending on their particular interests or questions. We do not need a separate forum for vintage ukes, but is it asking too much simply to have a section dedicated to vintage ukes? Oh, that's right, we had to add a section for Shameless Self Promotion instead, now there's an important and much needed addition to the Ukulele Underground Forum.

I'm not into vintage ukuleles, but I like the idea. Why not? The clubs are not the same as any threads and the ones I am in never seem to have any action or I don't see any. Maybe an interested person could do a poll to judge interest? Or this thread might tell you.

Vintage seems to be a judgement call to me, whereas the categories on UU Forums currently are not.

This is just me: I see no reason to have micro-categories of woman ukers, forums for each size of ukulele, teenage ukers, forums for each type of music, Koa Lovers, etc.

Just put vintage in the subject line and most will know to avoid the thread. (LOL)
"Vintage" is certainly a judgement call. To suggest that there is no interest at UU for "old" things is silly. Many of UU's members are old. Many Millennials worry about how to plan for retirement, Do you think SS will be around then? IDK

When I was your age I decided to trade up to a better banjo. I bought a vintage banjo for $300. The neck had been broken at one time and in repairing it the manufacturers data was lost. It did have a wooden tone rim. This made it a Luscomb, as I later found out. It has what appear to be ivory tuners, (they had a wood grain though -Ivoroid). This dates the banjo to 1883-4. I've had the joy in playing this banjo for thirty five years. It is probably worth $1900 - $3000. ~$300 of that value comes from the knowledge that it has ivoroid tuners.

A friend acquired an old national "hawaiian resonator" guitar at some point the resonator was removed - the serial number was determined to be 002. Asking price for a 2004 National resonator" is about $4000, today. What do you think the second one ever made would sell for?

I think a retirement plan that includes vintage instruments you can enjoy today makes sense.

Now what can anybody here tell me about a GH&S Melody Junior banjolele vintage 1920-1940?

I think we should have a vintage subforum so we can stop talking about having a vintage subforum. Of course then we'll talk about what's allowed in it...

I'll still just click the what's new button though.

You know, it is what it is. And for what it's worth, I am not on any kind of crusade here, just think it's crazy that we have 17 ukulele boards on the main page and not one of them is dedicated to vintage ukes. What's more, it seems illogical to me that if someone was to ask me where they should go to get the best information available pertaining to vintage ukuleles, I would have to steer them elsewhere. Just doesn't make any sense to me for the biggest ukulele forum in existence to at least not to be the best as well. Oh well. . . . . back to your regularly scheduled programing.

I don't own any vintage ukes, not that I wouldn't like to. But I would read about them, they fascinate me.
I just had to turn down a very very nice vintage Martin tenor, due to lack of funds....wah!

There is nothing stopping a person from asking a question about vintage ukuleles on the UU forums. It IS the best ukulele site. Biggest? I can't say for sure. Why wouldn't you, Eyeguy, tell your friends to come here and ask? Makes no sense to me.

I agree Sukie....nothing prevents anyone from posting about vintages. I feel it's important to see the history of our wonderful little instrument!

On Facebook, I liked Kay Guitars since I have a project soprano Kay.

I also liked Silvertone World: Vintage Guitars, Amps, and More as I have a nice Silvertone mahogany soprano.

There are a few other ukulele players on these pages, as well as links to ukulele related vintage catalogs and pictures.

Here's a forum (not just Martins) that may be of help to vintage Ukers and historians:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarfor...t/The-Four-String-Farmhouse.html#.VD_HEvldVHU

Many UU'ers there--great photos and data.

I have an account there, but overall I find more useful info here, and don't stop by that forum very often. I do like to drool over some of the photos though.
Now if I could just find a reso-uke forum somewhere else as we're light on reso discussion here.

I don't wanna beat this to death :deadhorse: but I think it's important to know as much about the origins of our instrument as we can. The vintage ukes fascinate me. I love the stories that go with them. How about a vintage uke department here? I'm all for it.....let the drooling begin!

I don't wanna beat this to death :deadhorse: but I think it's important to know as much about how women play our instrument as we can. The women and their ukes fascinate me. I love the stories that go with them. How about a women's uke department here? I'm all for it.....let the drooling begin!

Last edited:
I don't wanna beat this to death :deadhorse: but I think it's important to know as much about how women play our instrument as we can. The women and their ukes fascinate me. I love the stories that go with them. How about a women's uke department here? I'm all for it.....let the drooling begin![/QUOTE

How about you post a photo of you playing the uke in your undies.....let the fascinated drooling begin....

Top Bottom