What is going on here?

Nickie

Reaction score
GRRRRR....I'm finally gonna complain about this....whenever I write someone a nice PM, if I get interrupted and have to let the computer sit for 5-10 minutes, UU logs me off and loses the PM...this really irritates me! Is anyone else experiencing this? Can it be fixed? PLEASE...there is NO need for UU to log me off, there is NO sensitive material here!

GRRRRR....I'm finally gonna complain about this....whenever I write someone a nice PM, if I get interrupted and have to let the computer sit for 5-10 minutes, UU logs me off and loses the PM...this really irritates me! Is anyone else experiencing this? Can it be fixed? PLEASE...there is NO need for UU to log me off, there is NO sensitive material here!
UU recently enabled an "idle timeout" to make it more difficult for SPAM bots.
If I am going to go away for a minute (that might turn into a while) I just select the entire block of text I typed and hit Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard. If I come back and it has timed out, I just log in again, start a new message, and hit Ctrl-V to paste what I already typed back in...

Many sites have "session" timeouts for security reasons as explained by Pueo. It's not just UU. It's really for YOUR benefit. If you weren't at your secure computer and walked away someone else could be you.

I type thoughtful messages elsewhere (Word, Wordpad, TextEdit, etc.) then copy and paste them into the UU message system.

I type thoughtful messages elsewhere (Word, Wordpad, TextEdit, etc.) then copy and paste them into the UU message system.

Ditto. The systems are too flaky. It's easier to prepare offline and then copy/paste.

Now I understand why UU logs me off....I stayed logged onto something else, and my business's domain name was hacked. Now it is useless, and anyone trying to view my website can't find it. I don't know when it happened, and it has to be fixed tomorrow. Now I log off of everything when I'm done!

If I am going to go away for a minute (that might turn into a while) I just select the entire block of text I typed and hit Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard. If I come back and it has timed out, I just log in again, start a new message, and hit Ctrl-V to paste what I already typed back in...

Spot on...I was going to suggest exactly this.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I use a third party app. Much easier to gather and collect your thoughts and then cut and paste them to your PM.

Well, I found out my website wasn't hacked, the company 1&1 just had it closed because of a disagreement over prices. I am shutting them down except for providing my URL....going to a different co for my website....I hate these problems, it affects my income, sheesh....still changing all my passwords. And I log off email, FB and all that each time now....better safe than sorry. Thanks guys!

Hey Nickie, if you are in the middle of your PM and have to leave...Just copy it for then and later retrieve it and paste in a new PM...you can close your UU too

Ditto. The systems are too flaky. It's easier to prepare offline and then copy/paste.
Ditto....I learned this after frustration and wasted time. So much less trouble and and easy to tweak ones thoughts.

I have had this problem on vBulletin boards before. Saving or composing long posts on a text editor is a good idea.

I've noticed that an autosave notification comes on periodically when posting but I have no Idea how to access it. If we figure it out I recommend you still save work in progress at the end of session just in case.

Top Bottom