low profile tuner?

fretie

Reaction score
Yesterday I was at a workshop that Kimo Hussey was leading. On the headstock of the gorgeous uke he was playing he had a barely noticeable low profile tuner. Afterwards I mused to myself, how much better that looked than our reliable but clunky snark tuners. I wish I had noted what brand of tuner Kimo was using. But alas, I snooze and lose.

Well, in point of fact, there was way too much cool uke action happening at the time for me to focus on the tuner. However now, dear UU friends, I need your help.

Low profile tuners... hit me with your gearhead knowledge!

thanks in advance,
Erin

Snark also makes a small headstock tuner in black or white. It's a little less adjustable, but it reads just like a Snark Super Tight. Planet Waves Micro is less noticeable, but it is harder to use IMO. YMMV.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, janeray, the tuner that Kimo was using was definitely the NS Micro.

Humm... now is the NS Micro and the Planet Waves mini that Kayak Jim gave the link for <thanks> the same tuner...?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, janeray, the tuner that Kimo was using was definitely the NS Micro.

Humm... now is the NS Micro and the Planet Waves mini that Kayak Jim gave the link for <thanks> the same tuner...?

Your welcome, and... yes and no :) The Planet Waves Mini is the NS micro's predecessor.

Random fact: I actually have a couple of each, and while they seem to be equally good, depending on the thickness of the headstock and spacing of the tuning pegs one might fit better than the other. The NS Micro doesn't fit my Kamaka concert ("sail" headstock) well and tends to buzz a bit, so I use the older PW Mini on that uke. I use the NS Micro on all of my others.

I've found the micro tuner to jump around a bit and is harder to tune with. I like the larger snark tuners so maybe will try their small version next time I'm in a store that has one. Nothing against the micro tune and it is small and it does work but my go to is the normal size snark.

I've found the micro tuner to jump around a bit and is harder to tune with. I like the larger snark tuners so maybe will try their small version next time I'm in a store that has one. Nothing against the micro tune and it is small and it does work but my go to is the normal size snark.

Tunes like any other Snark: quick, precise, no ambiguity. The clamp is limiting, especially as the regular Snark tuners are so flexible. The Micro is hard for me to read without using reading glasses.

My husband and I have PW Minis on most of our ukes. They're nice. I have a Micro on order for my new beater.

I have several PW micro tuners. I like how unobtrusive they are but they can move around a bit on some ukes. It's not a spring like clamp like on the snark, with rubber pads. It is just hard plastic and kindof ratchets down on the uke by squeezing it on to the headstock. It has limited adjustability. It won't close tight enough to grab onto my LoPrinzi soprano as the headstock is too thin. It also will not fit on one of my baritones that has a carved headstock. The micros can be had very cheaply online, like sweetwater or musicians friend, especially in a two pack.

I just use a regular electronic tuner on the table in front of me.:D

Another + for Planet Waves NS Micro Tuner, use mine on Dolphin and Moselle Bambookulele, no probs.
Graham

Top Bottom