Pete seeger tribute contest for seasonistas

I heard this song around the folk clubs in my teens, way before I became a teacher, but it made quite an impression on me and gave me an additional awareness of the responsibility teachers have to present "facts" carefully, and to teach children to think for themselves.

Ashamed to say I don't know much about or by Pete Seeger, except Little Boxes, which is really Ms. Reynolds' song, and I only knew that thanks to Weeds..
That said, I've really enjoyed the entries in this competition, and Little Fat Baby is a cracking song I hope to try in the future but with limited time I figured I'd try and be a li'l cheeky and kill a couple birds with one song ;)

Couldn't figure out the baseline he had going and I fluffed up nearer the end but gave it my best :)

My video didn't post on the reply. Only the URL address. I don't know what I did wrong, but I hope you can still view.

Diane

Here you go Diane. You have to paste the link in the movie strip above for it to show up (second from the end above).

Yes, we could view it through the link that you posted:)

Andy There is an audio problem. I can't hear your vid on my computer. I can barely hear it through my earbuds:(

This is my entry for Pete Seeger's Tribute week.
It's called "Flowers of Peace"
If you recognized the tune it's an old one called 'Wild Mountain Tyme' Pete Just changed the words.

FLOWERS OF PEACE 
by Pete Seeger Based on the song ‘Wild Mountain Tyme’
Capo first fret on baritone or tune the Ukelele up one step.which I find better personally
Intro pick from top looking down 2nd 3rd 2nd string Down Strum 2nd 3rd 2nd G Em C G G lift forth string

G Em C G
Oh summertime is coming, and the leaves are sweet returning

C D Em Am C
But those flowers of peace, it's for them I'm really yearning.

G C G C G
Will they bloom, ever bloom?
 Will they bloom in the springtime?
C D Em Am C
Oh you flowers of peace
 When the world should be in ring time
G C G
Will they bloom, ever bloom?

Last edited:
I couldn't separate these 2 songs in my mind, so I made it a medley, sort of. Same chords, tune. Is that still a medley?
I saw Pete & Arlo once in concert, but never saw him on or around the Clearwater, which sails up & down the nearby Hudson, which he seemed to love. Sometimes you are sure he is talking about a river, sometimes you are sure he talking about love itself.
Juanita (only 4 lines) , & Bountiful River.

I had the low g uke by accident, so sort of flubbed the ending. Such is life.

Two things:

(1) Great vids everyone. Jazzbanjorex, in particular, that was incredible. One of my favorite seasons vids in awhile. I definitely will try to learn that.

(2) Here is my entry 'Living in the Country'. Aaron Keim posted tabs and video awhile and back and I just did my best to replicate it. Still a bit choppy but I gave it my best. Thanks for the extra contest this week Eugene.

Btw, at the end of this video I give a nasty stare towards the camera. I have no idea what that was about. No one should have that look on their face when holding a ukulele. I think I was still in my head thinking about the song and wasn't paying attention to what I looked like. My apologies. Pretend it was a smile. Cheers.

Last edited:
Linda and ukuloonie, those were really special too. This is a nice little mini season.

Ah, well, thought I had until midnight tonight for some reason. (Practically midnight here in VA right now!) Hope you enjoy the show I put together for ya. Took me longer than I thought it would. Gave me a chance to use my puppets again and you know I love to do that!

Sigh, just watched the vid to see how it was and darn if the uke music didn't match up with the singing! IDK why. It was fine in the movie maker. I really, really, need a new program for making videos!

Last edited:
I managed to get an entry done but not uploaded what with hosting the present season and other things in my life.

I'll put it on the misfit island instead.

Congratulations Drew. What Jon said. Congratulations to the rest of the top 5. Thank you Jon for my inclusion and thanks to everyone who entered. Our children and their children and anyone who will listen and learn need to sing these songs for themselves and for and with others!

"I'd really rather put songs on people's lips than in their ears." Pete Seeger

Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream - late contribution

I was on the lookout all week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done).

And then, Thursday morning the WFUV Question of the Day was about songs that mention dreams, and someone suggested this one. I thought, "Of course!", and quickly learned the song.

I was going to make the video right away, strumming, but I kept hearing a certain fingerpicking pattern in my head, which I had not yet learned, so off I went to learn that.

In the meantime, Drew made his excellent video of the song, and the contest closed. In any case, it's too great a song not to complete, so I have finished it late. (But it's right on time for both Season 126 and 127, since it's also a story song.)

And I see that Eugene is still inviting songs inspired by the contest to be posted here, so here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream".

Thanks, Eugene, for inspiring me to learn this moving song, which has always made me cry. I hope one day soon this beautiful vision will come to pass.

I should mention that although I learned this song from Pete, it was written by Ed McCurdy. Pete added a repeat of the first verse in his version, but Ed McCurdy felt the song was perfect as he wrote it. I have left out the repeated verse.

(And added my new made-up fingerpicking pattern that is vaguely inspired by the way I heard Pete play it.)

Last edited:
Congratulations, Drew!

Oh, I just saw Drew won for this glorious entry! I think it deserves a full reposting here ... hope that's okay. Congratulations, Drew! Well deserved ... very moving.

I was on the lookout all week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done).

And then, Thursday morning the WFUV Question of the Day was about songs that mention dreams, and someone suggested this one. I thought, "Of course!", and quickly learned the song.

I was going to make the video right away, strumming, but I kept hearing a certain fingerpicking pattern in my head, which I had not yet learned, so off I went to learn that.

In the meantime, Drew made his excellent video of the song, and the contest closed. In any case, it's too great a song not to complete, so I have finished it late. (But it's right on time for both Season 126 and 127, since it's also a story song.)

And I see that Eugene is still inviting songs inspired by the contest to be posted here, so here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream".

Thanks, Eugene, for inspiring me to learn this moving song, which has always made me cry. I hope one day soon this beautiful vision will come to pass.

I should mention that although I learned this song from Pete, it was written by Ed McCurdy. Pete added a repeat of the first verse in his version, but Ed McCurdy felt the song was perfect as he wrote it. I have left out the repeated verse.

(And added my new made-up fingerpicking pattern that is vaguely inspired by the way I heard Pete play it.)

Thanks for adding this. I had thought about trying it out but have been busy with a family visit. Great song for both this and week 126

Top Bottom