James Hill - Cherry Picking / Cheri Picking

xyz

Reaction score
I searched these forums for some info on "Cherry Picking" / "Cheri Picking" and the term is never mentioned ! so I'd like to put it on the map and share what I've found.

What is it ?
It's a right hand technique that is used extensively by James Hill. Perhaps invented by him or at least pushed to the extreme by him. He even has a workshop on the subject. This advanced technique focuses on playing the melody, harmony and bass at the same time with the thumb / index in a motion that is similar to a triple strum. More than a hand technique it's also a way to compose music and arrangements. Once you dive into it it's a whole world of music that awaits you.

The good news are :
- there are some (scarce) resources on the Internet so you can learn it.
- James Hill just launched "The Ukulele Way" website that , in part, details his way to arrange music for the ukulele. Cherry / cheri picking is not mentioned but perhaps one day it will... (in the more advanced books yet to be published).

Web resources
Here is an article, 2 videos and a tab to get you started on this right hand technique.

- The article is a great interview of Tobias Elof by Brad Bordessa where he details the basics of cherry picking.
http://liveukulele.com/interviews/tobias-elof/

- This video is again Tobias Elof doing a small demo of the technique.

- Here is another demo done by Tobias on an interview with Kimo Hussey :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ES0mq6prYQ

I've transcribed "Miriam" by Tobias Elof. The tab uses elements of cherry picking and can be found here :
http://theukulelereview.com/sheet-music-for-instrumental-ukulele/

You'll also find the "Song for Cheri" tab on Dominator's website. See if you can play it using this technique.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/

If you know of other resources or have experience on the subject please post here. I'm interested !

Last edited:
Tobias Elof doing a small demo of the technique
... obviously a very competent young gentleman!! ... however, the technique itself seems to be little more than a sophisticated drop-thumb claw-hammer. No disrespect, and all kudos to the players who can manage these complicated manoeuvres with both hands at the same time and then apply them to tunes outside of the "normal claw-hammer repertoire", but I feel the technique itself is not "new" ... nice though ;)

Certainly not new and inspired of many things. However I feel it stands on its own. Like claw-hammer or Kimo Hussey have their own sound and technique. Cherry picking's core is different. Not better just different.

Another example here (music starts at 2:00) :

In my opinion, Jame's playing is absolute genius, I only dream of that level of talent!

Thanks xyz! You have made some really good transcriptions!!
I too am interested in this style of playing. It seems Tobias Elof has gotten in down quite well in addition to the master, James Hill.
Here is another video from a JH workshop where he shows the technique. He mentions cherry pickin by name, but he doesn't give any details as he did in the first part of the video with clawhammer and the other types of strums that he uses. It seems he is safeguarding this one... :rolleyes:

The cherry pickin starts around 16:45

http://youtu.be/Z_Pb6EaAPCM?t=14m21s

Thanks a lot for the video. This is his rendition of St'Anne's reel... impressive as always !

It's a different technique. With his infamous "monostrum" he mainly works on his left hand to mute some strings. With cherry picking he concentrates on his right hand to play everything following a fluid triple strum motion. Sometimes only picking one note... sometimes struming some of the strings... all with the same pattern (thumb /index / index).

Yes he is a magician :) but I feel he's started to reveal some of his secrets on his website 'The Ukulele Way".

Last edited:
I've added a post in the tab section that points to James Hill's "Smash the windows" tab I've just completed :
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-New-Tab-Smash-the-windows-James-Hill-version

This tab is a very good example of "cherry picking" technique.

I'm currently rewriting an 8 pages instrumental of "Somebody to love" I had done last year. Now using cherry picking. Some extra moves around the basic "thumb - index up - index down" involve using the middle finger. In some cases it is useful to have a "thumb down - index up - middle up - index down" pattern.

To my ear, that has a distinctly Appalachian kind of sound to it. At least that's what I get out of the tune he plays at the end of the video. OK, I now have watched the 2nd video above. It's the Irish in it that I'm hearing. Of course, the Irish settled Appalachia, so that accounts for that.

Last edited:
I've read all this and searched the internet trying to demystify the technique. It's an elusive customer! I still don't get it!

Dear xyz,

I think at least a couple of us would dance little circles out in the street if you made a video, (slow motion), of your interpretation of the technique.

I'll try to make a video. Don't have a video camera but I'll try.

My suggestion is to get hold of any 15 year old relative, they carry the technology around on their phone and know how to use it, and thanks for considering my request. I have been working on computers since the early 80s but I carry an old flip phone. When I need something tricky done from a phone, I call on one of my children.

Last edited:
Great thread. James Hill has done so much for the mighty 'uke movement.

Note July 15th post above - "infamous" is defined as "well known for some bad quality or deed." I'm not trying to be a word police but the post might confuse others.

In my musical circles "Cherry Picking" is called "Dead Thumb" Technique. Usually used by guitarists and particularly for the Blues. It is a natural technique for a reentrantly tuned instrument like Ukulele.

I too liked this version of St Anne's Reel. It is an Old Time dance tune from Canada not Appalachia. But Canada was settled by the Scots-Irish too.

I've done a small video I'll upload later today. I've watched a few "Dead Thumb" tutorial videos and it doesn't look like "Cherry picking". For example the thumb can play any string. I'm no expert so I'll let you judge from the video later today.

I had the pleasure of playing with Tobias in the Czech Uke Fest this Summer. He and Nicolaj joined me on stage during my set. We chose to play Smash The Windows as we all enjoy Celtic music. Tobias played using this cherry-picking technique while I used my more regular fingerpicking style. The recording quality isn't great, but you can hear clearly the different techniques in action.

Thanks for sharing, what a great performance !

Top Bottom