Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Hill - Cherry Picking / Cheri Picking

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

To my ear, that has a distinctly Appalachian kind of sound to it. At least that's what I get out of the tune he plays at the end of the video. OK, I now have watched the 2nd video above. It's the Irish in it that I'm hearing. Of course, the Irish settled Appalachia, so that accounts for that.
    Last edited by VegasGeorge; 08-07-2014 at 02:30 AM.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I've read all this and searched the internet trying to demystify the technique. It's an elusive customer! I still don't get it!

Dear xyz,

I think at least a couple of us would dance little circles out in the street if you made a video, (slow motion), of your interpretation of the technique.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

I'll try to make a video. Don't have a video camera but I'll try.

My suggestion is to get hold of any 15 year old relative, they carry the technology around on their phone and know how to use it, and thanks for considering my request. I have been working on computers since the early 80s but I carry an old flip phone. When I need something tricky done from a phone, I call on one of my children.
    Last edited by Doug W; 10-01-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Great thread. James Hill has done so much for the mighty 'uke movement.

Note July 15th post above - "infamous" is defined as "well known for some bad quality or deed." I'm not trying to be a word police but the post might confuse others.
    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” ― Catherine Aird

In my musical circles "Cherry Picking" is called "Dead Thumb" Technique. Usually used by guitarists and particularly for the Blues. It is a natural technique for a reentrantly tuned instrument like Ukulele.

I too liked this version of St Anne's Reel. It is an Old Time dance tune from Canada not Appalachia. But Canada was settled by the Scots-Irish too.
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

I've done a small video I'll upload later today. I've watched a few "Dead Thumb" tutorial videos and it doesn't look like "Cherry picking". For example the thumb can play any string. I'm no expert so I'll let you judge from the video later today.

I had the pleasure of playing with Tobias in the Czech Uke Fest this Summer. He and Nicolaj joined me on stage during my set. We chose to play Smash The Windows as we all enjoy Celtic music. Tobias played using this cherry-picking technique while I used my more regular fingerpicking style. The recording quality isn't great, but you can hear clearly the different techniques in action.

KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Thanks for sharing, what a great performance !

Thread Information