Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Hill - Cherry Picking / Cheri Picking

I don't know about "Dead" thumb ....I certainly have a Dud one ....on both hands ...just for better balance !!

Here is a *small video*... sorry for the crapy webcam and crapy mic. This is the basic cherry picking technique as far as I know : thumb down, then index up, then index down. Repeat.

For each of those movements you can brush all strings or just one. No restrictions. The index down movement when picking just one note derives from clawhammer.

the pattern is index down - thumb down - index up . All the time , thats the easy part of the cheri picking explain in the video by tobias, the dificult part is apply that triplette in singles string and mix all.

nico

sory about my english

Quote Originally Posted by nicm70 View Post
    the pattern is index down - thumb down - index up . All the time , thats the easy part of the cheri picking explain in the video by tobias, the dificult part is apply that triplette in singles string and mix all.

nico

sory about my english
    I think you may mean thumb down, index up, index down.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Both are correct... it depends on where you want to put the strong beat... which tends to be on the index down. Try to play the same tune starting with the thumb down or starting with the index down. The feeling, sound and difficulty is very different.

On James Hill's Smash the window (see the tab) he starts with the thumb. I can not say if he always do so. My guess would be it depends on the song.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Both are correct... it depends on where you want to put the strong beat... which tends to be on the index down. Try to play the same tune starting with the thumb down or starting with the index down. The feeling, sound and difficulty is very different.

On James Hill's Smash the window (see the tab) he starts with the thumb. I can not say if he always do so. My guess would be it depends on the song.
    Not so. If he is using this technique, he starts with the thumb. Otherwise it would be just a regular triplet strum. Tobias makes this very clear and he has studied with James over several weeks.
    Last edited by Ken Middleton; 10-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Thumb or index, I don't know, but thanks for taking the time to make the video. I appreciate it greatly.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

It end to agree with Ken on the thumb down issue. I think of it as leading with the Thumb, probably because I typically use my thumb for the pick-up notes then start counting for the strumming pattern.

Apologies to xyz: in my earlier post I said "dead thumb" rather than "DropThumb". Dead thumb can be used for Cherry Picking but has much less utility when used for highG reentrant tuning.
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post
    Not so. If he is using this technique, he starts with the thumb. Otherwise it would be just a regular triplet strum. Tobias makes this very clear and he has studied with James over several weeks.
    Wow Thank you Ken ! That makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by IamNoMan View Post
    in my earlier post I said "dead thumb" rather than "DropThumb". Dead thumb can be used for Cherry Picking but has much less utility when used for highG reentrant tuning.
    No problem, I'll have a look at the DropThumb technique as well. Always interesting.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread, I really appreciate it.

Thread Information