Too Tight Tenor Strings

fretted

Reaction score
I have several tenor ukes which sound great with a variety of strings. This question is in regards to a Cordoba Tenor with solid spruce top and solid rosewood b&s. I have this set up with wound C & low G. those sound fantastic. My problem is that any trebles I have tried including nylguts sound too "tight." Hard to explain. Good sustain and timbre, but the tone just has a tight sound. The exception was a set of medium tension fluorocarbons which lost the tightness but the tone was a bit thin to my ears. My plea is for advice so I don't go broke trying every uke set known to humankind. I'm thinking plain old nylon and amazingly have not tried them yet. Perhaps though one of you fine ukers will recognize what I'm talking about and make a suggestion. The bases sound so great that I don't want to stop trying.

Thanks Tube, but believe it or not, many concert set's 2nd E string are as thick or thicker than their corresponding tenor string offering. I know because I tried that.

Look at SouthCoast Strings - i'm sure many here would agree that they are some of the best, most balanced strings out there - and try different tunings. I find that each of my ukes likes a particular tuning best.

Tension can play a pretty big role in the frequencies produced by the initial attack on each note. This seems to be particularly apparent with spruce, since it brings out the high frequencies so well.

I found the tension a little too high for my fingertips on the normal Worth Clears, so I tuned them down a whole step to Bb. That really helped.
Curious what other people have to say though.

Have you tried unwound 4th strings? Aquila Reds are really good, although they are a bit fatter than the average string, so a wider nut slot to compensate would help if you researched and committed to a low G Red string. I think according to the mixed reviews, it's a gamble on whether it breaks or not if you don't widen the nut slot, but the sound quality is something I think a lot of people enjoy. It may be too "flappy" for C tuning - D works better for the tension and sound. I heard Worth makes unwound 4ths as well.
La Bella makes a great wound 4th in my opinion - I have La Bella gold basses on my classical guitar and the response is warm and nice. Tension is average, and no string squeak! If you wanted a sharp response from your bass string though, it probably isn't a good choice, because there are reviews saying the bass is a bit too soft, even to the point where some may say it is dead? I don't think so!
If not these, Southcoast is the best and safest option (even skipping Aquila and La Bella) because you can talk to Dirk, and although he may be a little swamped with incoming arrivals and cataloging new products, he'll be the best choice in helping you find your fit. You should read this link from their website first, though - Dirk will probably direct it to you eventually xD (http://www.southcoastukes.com/tunings.htm)
Southcoast string sets page (scroll through the reading): http://www.southcoastukes.com/string sets.htm
Also, if you have the time, read the other links about tuning and strings on his website. The accumulation of luthier and musical knowledge on his website is totally relevant to how we see and play the ukulele today!
All in all, I would just ask myself: "what kind of sound do I want from my ukulele?" and then just start from there. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. JamieFromOntario, I'll look into SouthCoast strings. Never tried those. 13uffer, I like the sound of the wound 3rd and 4th on this ukulele, but I do have the Red 4th on a Kala tenor- one of my first ukuleles and it sounds great. I just ordered some Ko'olau Mahana (warm) strings yesterday. I'll let you know what I think. Igorthebarbarian, I have a solid Koa topped tenor Fluke tuned to Bb which is definitely its preferred tuning, and the one most suited to my voice methinks.

Top Bottom