Never ever....do this!

LOL, I think it helped that I had a situation to focus on.......the bag and ukes were actually stuck under the car next to the rear wheel wedged under the muffler! I couldn't get 'em out and by the time I did and pulled out the soft case and it was like a limp noodle I was doing okay. I have to say the person who did it was extremely remorseful, they play uke too occasionally.

And those family member are still in one piece??? You have amazing self control. I'm really sorry for you dear, I'd absolutely HATE that.

Car was unlocked and ready. Really don't know why they decided to just leave 'em out of the car. So glad your Kamoa survived!!

Yes, I do feel as if part of me is in each of my ukes. Was a sad day but a good day too. Bought a new uke, my mother (who's visiting from CA) got to see me onstage :)

Thanks to everyone for their condolences and, Phil, I will try the way you said to upload a picture.

Heartsick. Yes, I know they are possessions, and not people, but part of you was in the core of those instruments.

I was at the beach and was worried my uke would get damaged by laying in the hot sun. I was going back to the house and put it under a beach towel on the beach chair. I then remembered I forget to put sunscreen on the tops of my feet, so I grabbed the sun screen and sat down to put it on. What a sickening sound, like a giant Twixt bar being crunched. I physically got sick to my stomach. It was the first nice Uke I ever bought. I feel you pain!!

Maybe save the body with some glue and wood putty on the top edge, paint it up or otherwise decorate it some, smooth the rough parts and make a drum like Ohana (?) is doing, there was a thread a few days back about it. You would have to heat the bridge and use a thin putty knife to get it off, do some sanding (hence the paint or stickers etc) not sure about the neck, but you'd need to make a flat surface.

I'm still sad about my dumb husband losing my 36 year old tortoise because he thought my carefully built temporary tortoise barrier after a move to a new house was "ugly" and took it apart to where it was useless; tortoises can really climb but of course he who knows zero about them knew BETTER than I did. So my tortie who would come when I called him got out of the yard and I never found him. I was sick with grief.

If it was my uke I'd save the neck and hang it on the wall where the perp could see it.

Last edited:
So, sorry about your story. I would have felt much worse if it had been me who put them behind the car!
I was at the beach and was worried my uke would get damaged by laying in the hot sun. I was going back to the house and put it under a beach towel on the beach chair. I then remembered I forget to put sunscreen on the tops of my feet, so I grabbed the sun screen and sat down to put it on. What a sickening sound, like a giant Twixt bar being crunched. I physically got sick to my stomach. It was the first nice Uke I ever bought. I feel you pain!!

I was thinking about using the wood for another uke project, probably will. Guess it will help me practice taking apart a uke so there is some good in the accident. I'm definitely going to see if my car insurance will cover it! So, so sorry about your torti, I know how you feel as I have a house full of critters that I love!

Maybe save the body with some glue and wood putty on the top edge, paint it up or otherwise decorate it some, smooth the rough parts and make a drum like Ohana (?) is doing, there was a thread a few days back about it. You would have to heat the bridge and use a thin putty knife to get it off, do some sanding (hence the paint or stickers etc) not sure about the neck, but you'd need to make a flat surface.

I'm still sad about my dumb husband losing my 36 year old tortoise because he thought my carefully built temporary tortoise barrier after a move to a new house was "ugly" and took it apart to where it was useless; tortoises can really climb but of course he who knows zero about them knew BETTER than I did. So my tortie who would come when I called him got out of the yard and I never found him. I was sick with grief.

If it was my uke I'd save the neck and hang it on the wall where the perp could see it.

Well, that is a totally horrible story. A lose/lose for all involved. I'm glad the person who left them back there felt bad. I'm so thrilled you were able to get a replacement right away. What did you end up getting?

I've seen band instruments backed over in the driveway and it is quite a sad little autopsy. If your stomach can handle it, you could try to piece them back together a little and have some very interesting albeit jarring wall art. I also like the bongolele idea - using the body as a percussion instrument.

Sorry to hear about that. I had a gorgeous small bodied twelve string guitar that was in the back of the car when suddenly there was an enormous twang! The bridge just jumped right off the instrument. Who'd have guessed the sun in Scotland could have got so hot as to do that! Problem was the guy I took it to said he couldn't repair it as was and suggested a floating bridge and a new heel to take the strings. It worked (sort of) but the sound was never the same and I part-traded it in for another instrument.

I have never found a small bodied twelve string like it, either. Plus it was the instrument I had learned on and wrote my first songs on, so it had sentimental value too.

So I understand your pain. But on the plus side your new Uke is a looker. Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

PS I still have the Yamaha FG180 I bought to replace my broken baby and it still sounds sweet after nearly 40 years!

Top Bottom