Oh Straps, where have you been all my life?

mr79

Reaction score
So, after hitting a wall last week and then getting tons of sound advice on here I finally fitted a strap button to my Pono concert yesterday, and put the strap on for the first time today... fitting a button and using a strap has been something I resisted, but...

It's brilliant!

Straight away (and for the first time) I was able to play a round and round cycle of 5 different chords without looking at the ukulele! For ten minutes! Without a mistake!

That probably sounds like no big deal, but suddenly I feel like, hey, I can do this...

So thanks to all who suggested this, and if anyone else is wondering about doing this it's well worth it.

Incidentally, the strap I found was made by Souldier in Chicago, and I think it was meant for a mandolin. It's fabric, about an inch wide so not as bulky and wide as a guitar strap nor as inflexible as a leather strap. Although the crimson and black celtic pattern on it did make my wife say that it looked like I was auditioning for some sort of ukulele burlesque routine (now, there's an act waiting to happen... not sure I've got the legs for it though).

Tomorrow I continue with the Ukulele Aerobics book with renewed purpose... huzzah!

Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side :)

I resisted straps for a long time - I used to play sopranos only and it always seemed sort of silly to me. Then I tried a friend's uke with a strap, and - that same weekend brought all my ukes to the shop to get drilled. Not having to worry about holding the uke makes focusing on playing well a whole lot easier. I use a mandolin strap as well, one of the thin leather ones.

I know a big guy who uses a strap on all his ukes, even the soprano. I love my straps....I'm collecting them in different colors/patterns to match my outfits!

I know, I know.....GEEK!

Welcome to the dark side :)

I resisted straps for a long time - I used to play sopranos only and it always seemed sort of silly to me. Then I tried a friend's uke with a strap, and - that same weekend brought all my ukes to the shop to get drilled. Not having to worry about holding the uke makes focusing on playing well a whole lot easier. I use a mandolin strap as well, one of the thin leather ones.

Janeray -

I think you posted a recommendation in Uketalk that I saw for a Levi's mandolin strap that is 1/2" wide. I got one for each of my two ukuleles because the Mobius strap ALMOST works for my Kamaka Ohta-san (if I am really careful), but not quite as I move my fretting hand around. Anyway, I ended up getting a second one to use on my Ko'olau even though the Mobius does work well on it. I can leave these straps on my ukuleles when I put them in their cases, so I am not having to take them on and off every time I want to play. These are perfect because they are very secure, I can leave them on all the time, and they are not intrusive in any way. I got them from Elderly Instruments because they were less expensive than anywhere else that I could find (including the Sam Ash Amazon storefront), and on top of that, they had a 10% discount and free shipping.

I agree with the OP that a good strap really does free a person up to play the ukulele.

Tony

jake, brittni, kalei and taimane use straps, so i use a strap.

I love my straps. Functional and decorative.

Janeray -

I think you posted a recommendation in Uketalk that I saw for a Levi's mandolin strap that is 1/2" wide. I got one for each of my two ukuleles because the Mobius strap ALMOST works for my Kamaka Ohta-san (if I am really careful), but not quite as I move my fretting hand around. Anyway, I ended up getting a second one to use on my Ko'olau even though the Mobius does work well on it. I can leave these straps on my ukuleles when I put them in their cases, so I am not having to take them on and off every time I want to play. These are perfect because they are very secure, I can leave them on all the time, and they are not intrusive in any way. I got them from Elderly Instruments because they were less expensive than anywhere else that I could find (including the Sam Ash Amazon storefront), and on top of that, they had a 10% discount and free shipping.

I agree with the OP that a good strap really does free a person up to play the ukulele.

Tony

Right Tony, the Levi's mando strap is the one I always recommend. Glad it worked out for you!

As for leaving them on all the time - some people believe having the leather come into contact with the instrument for extended periods of time can cause finish damage. But my luthier told me not to worry about it - since my ukes get played every day and I only have a couple of them, it's not problematic. I'm guessing with your two ukes it wouldn't be a problem either, but I'm just mentioning it for those with multiple ukes.

jake, brittni, kalei and taimane use straps, so i use a strap.

Same with James Hill. I use straps on everyone of my ukes as well..........including the soprano.

Czutney: so glad you are finding improvement with tne changes you have made. Good for you in stepping out and asking for help in your previous post, looks like it is paying big dividends.

... put the strap on for the first time today... fitting a button and using a strap has been something I resisted, but...

It's brilliant!

That probably sounds like no big deal, but suddenly I feel like, hey, I can do this...

Like you, a strap made all the difference for me when I started playing. My only regret is that I waited so long to try one.

Right Tony, the Levi's mando strap is the one I always recommend. Glad it worked out for you!

As for leaving them on all the time - some people believe having the leather come into contact with the instrument for extended periods of time can cause finish damage. But my luthier told me not to worry about it - since my ukes get played every day and I only have a couple of them, it's not problematic. I'm guessing with your two ukes it wouldn't be a problem either, but I'm just mentioning it for those with multiple ukes.

Thanks janeray. I will keep that in mind.

Tony

I also recently started playing with straps..and I love it...It seems to me much easier as I can concentrate on my playing and not worry about the uke sliding around....

So, after hitting a wall last week and then getting tons of sound advice on here I finally fitted a strap button to my Pono concert yesterday, and put the strap on for the first time today... fitting a button and using a strap has been something I resisted, but...

It's brilliant!

Straight away (and for the first time) I was able to play a round and round cycle of 5 different chords without looking at the ukulele! For ten minutes! Without a mistake!

So thanks to all who suggested this, and if anyone else is wondering about doing this it's well worth it.

Incidentally, the strap I found was made by Souldier in Chicago, and I think it was meant for a mandolin. It's fabric, about an inch wide so not as bulky and wide as a guitar strap nor as inflexible as a leather strap. Although the crimson and black celtic pattern on it did make my wife say that it looked like I was auditioning for some sort of ukulele burlesque routine (now, there's an act waiting to happen... not sure I've got the legs for it though).

Tomorrow I continue with the Ukulele Aerobics book with renewed purpose... huzzah!

It's huge isn't it! :D I have total admiration for those who play well and don't seem to need them, even on the tenors.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do mandolin straps work on an ukulele? I understand that one end attaches to a strap button, but what about the end that forms a loop? Does this attach to the head stock somehow? Many thanks. Michael

Yup, I'm another strap fan!

Got 'em on all my ukes. Can't imagine playing with any dexterity without using a strap.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do mandolin straps work on an ukulele? I understand that one end attaches to a strap button, but what about the end that forms a loop? Does this attach to the head stock somehow? Many thanks. Michael

It attaches around the headstock with a short cord (basically a shoelace) - might be more easily seen in photos than described in words:

photo 4.jpg

Ok, but if you remove the strap when dont use the uke is ok?

The idea is that the leather may or may not be properly... cured, I think is the word? The chemicals in the leather might react with the uke's finish. So yes, if that's something you are concerned about, then I've been told it's safest to remove the strap before putting the uke away.

For those of us with only a couple of ukes, it's not really a concern since the strap will not be in extended contact with the same spot on the uke for any length of time. But if the uke is going to be in a case, unplayed, for more than a couple days, then take the strap off.

Top Bottom