if you knew then what you know now...

Wish I'd started 10 years earlier! And wish I'd bought my 1st uke from Mim, so I'd be started on the right track.

I'd say stick with that classical guitar! You will need that knowledge later and it will be worth it!

I'd also want to emphasize understanding action and how it affects playing, since a proper setup can make a huge difference. Change strings even if they sound good if it's been around 6 months of regular play time. Also try a different brand of string if not really happy with your uke and wait for them to settle in. Setup and strings are probably partly responsible for UAS, they are that important to comfort and sound.

Also be careful taking a uke in for repair to a guitar snob luthier, because it might come back beat to crap, like my poor vintage Kamaka... :(

AND don't let nasty people rain on your parade!

A year and a half ago at Music Folk in St Louis I had a vintage Martin Style 1 soprano in my hands that made my whole body quiver with a few strums. Deep, rich sound that you could feel! It had the magic. I recognized it, but I didn't buy it thinking I would have more chances. I have been chasing that feeling ever since.

my advice, keep only (2 two) ukes at same time, if you want a new one... SELL ONE OF THE TWO UKES, and later buy the uke.....

2 ukes, no 2 sopranos + 2 tenors + 2 concerts NO NO NO ONLY 2 UKES

i hate my UAS (but love the ukes)

my advice, keep only (2 two) ukes at same time, if you want a new one... SELL ONE OF THE TWO UKES, and later buy the uke.....

2 ukes, no 2 sopranos + 2 tenors + 2 concerts NO NO NO ONLY 2 UKES

i hate my UAS (but love the ukes)

Just out of curiosity, why specifically two ukuleles? I have two very nice ukuleles and expect to stay that way, but I have to admit, I just started playing so have not yet had the history and experience to really get into UAS...yet.

Thanks,

Tony

Take better care of your wrists. I wish I had 20 years ago when a was a computer game playing fool.

If I could have a do-over I'd say stay close to Norm. He was a musician and uke player at my church 45 years ago. He had a mahogany tenor, don't know what brand. I could have been playing all these years.

More realistically, I wish I'd gotten with my teacher about nine months earlier than I did. Every lesson it seems I have to unlearn as much as I have to learn.

If you know the ukulele is going to stick for you, then get a teacher.

I also wish I had shopped around before buying my first ukulele. Guitar Center only had a few options and I jumped at the "cool one." Cool and good are two different things.

With regard to ukuleke purchases:

1.) play before you pay;
2.) your first uke should be the nicest laminate 4-string you can afford. Never sell it. It will serve as your loaner, your beater, your car/beach/travel/office/family member uke for as long as you have it, and every time you pick it up, you will remember fumbling through your first few chords. A little humility and perspective never hurt nobody.
3.) quality trumps quantity, any day of the week and twice on Sundays (especially Pineapple Sundays).

Of course, that's just me. YMMV.

If you want a ukulele now that you cannot afford, wait a year and you will either be able to afford it or you'll not want it any longer.

Memorize the fingerboard.

But I would amend it to, "don't have a cow, Jenn, you will eventually get familiar the fingerboard, and you'll learn it." I think that might go for several things - don't sweat it right now... it will all come in due time. Keep playing. I wanted to get it all down at the very beginning and it was frustrating.

A year and a half ago at Music Folk in St Louis I had a vintage Martin Style 1 soprano in my hands that made my whole body quiver with a few strums. Deep, rich sound that you could feel! It had the magic. I recognized it, but I didn't buy it thinking I would have more chances. I have been chasing that feeling ever since.

(((hugs on that one))) Don't give up. You'll find it again.

I would have always carried a photocopy or copy of a blank ukulele fretboard and write in the notes at the appropriate fret........and least if it did not sink in then I would have had a crib sheet.........

(I learned the Stradella Bass Button system of the Piano Accordion this way.Before I even purchased my instrument.)

Could this thread be a candidate for a "sticky" thread? This is great stuff!

Tony

Spend less time on the computer reading about ukuleles and more time playing.

Spend less time on the computer reading about ukuleles and more time playing.

100% agreed.

Also, think as little about gear as possible. Completely unimportant. All you need is a ukulele that is "good enough." Once you have a ukulele that is good enough, forget what model it is, forget the brand of strings, forget what woods its made of, forget how much it costs... but instead spend time learning SONGS.

100% agreed.

Also, think as little about gear as possible. Completely unimportant. All you need is a ukulele that is "good enough." Once you have a ukulele that is good enough, forget what model it is, forget the brand of strings, forget what woods its made of, forget how much it costs... but instead spend time learning SONGS.

Crikey, good ideas too.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that playing the uke while watching TV is actually practicing. Also, another vote for playing in the dark (but not while watching TV). Yes, there is a pattern here.

Play with other instruments as much as possible.

It forced me out of my comfort zone, got me to play barre chords more and play songs/styles that I might not ever try

Don't delude yourself into thinking that playing the uke while watching TV is actually practicing. Also, another vote for playing in the dark (but not while watching TV). Yes, there is a pattern here.

One of my instructors actually told us to try playing while watching TV (or while trying to talk to someone else, etc.). I don't know if doing that was practicing or not, but the idea behind it was to acclimate one's brain to doing something else while strumming and fretting. Everyone learns differently, I guess.

Top Bottom