Which tonewood do you like. Hawaiian Koa, Curly hawaiian Mango, Ziricote, pheaseant

I'm guessing that Ligna Mane has less movement than most other woods and thus an easier build, Rick?

I hear there's less movement as the tree ages. (That's right, I hear. Not a problem in my arboretum.)

Doesn't Louie C.K. Have a joke about a bag of Ligna Mane? "I have questions."

Easy....Hawaiian Koa (with some curl)

The best-sounding ukuleles I have are made of either milo, koa, or maple.
Of course, it likely has more to do with the quality of the ukulele itself more than the wood of which it is crafted.
I have noticed that my Milo ukuleles are particularly loud and that Milo is also the wood of choice for a traditional to`ere or Tahitian log drum - that may have something to do with it.

I LOVE my nice mellow mahogany uke. And my beautiful bright koa uke. I tried a mahogany uke with a spruce top....WOW, it was loud with a lovely tone. I think I'd like to try a solid maple uke someday, maybe trimmed with koa or mahogany. Tammy's main guitar is maple, and OMG it sings, and is gorgeous.

Koa or Tassie Blackwood - I guess it's members of the Acacia family do it for me.

Personally I'm a Rosewood / Spruce kind of guy. Out of the woods you mentioned, I like Ziricote - it can make for a very powerful (loud) instrument. It requires a little extra care from the owner though. It has more tangential movement than other woods, and is more susceptible to cracking. If kept in an environment with reasonable humidity it shouldn't be a problem. Also very beautiful!

Spruce as a soundboard for sure. Koa for beauty only. But since I don't buy to look at them on the wall I am no longer interested in it except for furniture (which unfortunately I can't afford anyway).

Cedar soundboards are my second choice. Some of the higher end mahogany sounds good too. But it is Spruce that is my number one for sound.

In my opinion, absolutely nothing compares to a walnut Compass Rose.....................smoothest sound ever

We just strung up a all sycamore bodied concert yesterday, and I'm always amazed at how that wood loves re-entrant tuning. The tap tone on the stuff is nothing to write home about, yet it makes for wonderful sounding instruments.

i personally like the sound and look of hawaiian Curly mango.
but man pheasant wood looks really really nice too.
my friend will order a custom ukulele soon and that was his choices.

just curious what others thought of these tonewoods.

Since I only have experience with Hawaiian Koa out of the list of woods you're asking, I think it's sweet and nothing looks as nice.

It's diverged from what's your opinion on these woods to what's your favorite wood. hahaha

No question, Koa is stunning.

If only my eyes were ears; in a blind sound test, I'd likely not choose Koa over spruce, mahogany, or several other woods (ducks from flying tomatoes)

CoolPaddle, I agree.

My "go to" uke is ridiculous, over the top koa. It sounds fine, especially when I play it well :), but it's not the best sounding uke we've made (my ears, my taste...). That would be...unfortunately...Adirondack spruce over Brazilian rosewood...yeah, the classic golden era Martin guitar formula. At least I don't insist upon elephant ivory for nut and saddle, though semi-fossilized mammoth tusk is pretty nice. And then there's oosik. Look it up...

I like Koa very much, for looks and sound. Once in a while we in the minority like to be heard, just to make things more difficult.

CoolPaddle, I agree.

My "go to" uke is ridiculous, over the top koa. It sounds fine, especially when I play it well :), but it's not the best sounding uke we've made (my ears, my taste...). That would be...unfortunately...Adirondack spruce over Brazilian rosewood...yeah, the classic golden era Martin guitar formula. At least I don't insist upon elephant ivory for nut and saddle, though semi-fossilized mammoth tusk is pretty nice. And then there's oosik. Look it up...

Yes Rick...I agree with what you say..I have a CR with some the same ridiculous, over the top Koa like yours...but I like softer tops for tone....Spruce or Redwood

but I think if you are looking for a certain kind of tone ....the builders are the most important.....IMO

Yes Rick...I agree with what you say..I have a CR with some the same ridiculous, over the top Koa like yours...but I like softer tops for tone....Spruce or Redwood

but I think if you are looking for a certain kind of tone ....the builders are the most important.....IMO

Well, that brings up a good point, Len; a question for Rick:

in brief (I'm not a luthier, so I might not get details anyhow...lol), Rick, do you consciously do something different when making a Koa topped instrument (bracing, finish, thickness of top, etc.) to give it a little more "snap"?

Or is it just Koa is Koa, and that's the "warm" (one may insert their own word here based on their degree of disdain for Koa tops: muted, dead, diminished, bass, narrow toned, etc. lol j/k) way it is, so they are made with the same specs as spruce, mahogany, etc.?

Top Bottom