Song Help Request They're Red Hot - Robert Johnson

ohmless

Reaction score
I found chords to this ragtime-blues song that I really like and want to learn. I am an intermediate player with over half a year experience playing and am looking for suggestions for a strum for this(thinking of using fan triplets like Formby if that is what he uses?). I also haven't seen much for covers on yotube either if anyone can point to any vids that are remarkable I would appreciate that also. thanks

No videos, but I play it:

C-A7-Dm7-G7
C-A7-Dm7-G7
C-C7-F-G#7
C-A7-Dm7-G7

I would use:

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7/

C C C C / C7 C7 C7 C7 / F F F F / Cdim Cdim Cdim Cdim/ (I usually play the first two Cdim chords 2323 and the second two as 5656.

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 / or C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

You can also use this progression for Pink Anderson's Bring It On Home, Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant, John Hartford's Boogie and a bunch of other tunes.
If you substitute this third line: C C D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7 / C C D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7 / you could play the old tune Jada
I'm not sure the name of the chord...I could probably figure it out, but it's late at night and I'm tired...but the third G7, the one in bold italics, could be played 0210.

If you want an intro, you could go D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

Last edited:
I would use:

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7/

C C C C / C7 C7 C7 C7 / F F F F / Cdim Cdim Cdim Cdim/ (I usually play the first two Cdim chords 2323 and the second two as 5656.

C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 / or C C B Bb / A A A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

You can also use this progression for Pink Anderson's Bring It On Home, Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant, John Hartford's Boogie and a bunch of other tunes.
If you substitute this third line: C C D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7 / C C D7 D7 / G7 G7 G7 G7 / you could play the old tune Jada
I'm not sure the name of the chord...I could probably figure it out, but it's late at night and I'm tired...but the third G7, the one in bold italics, could be played 0210.

If you want an intro, you could go D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C A7 A7 / D7 D7 G7 G7 / C C G7 G7 /

That is close to the Robert Johnson Songbook Complete...which is a good reference source.
One difference is on the second time through of "Hot Tamales , and they're red hot" and subsequent pairings of first two lines per verse the
B becomes a B7 and the Bb is only played on the very first run through......However ..my understanding of Robert Johnson is that he never played anything exactly the same and sometimes sped up his ballads and slowed down his uptempo blues songs....so ......;)

The other main difference is that the C Dim that Jim uses is given as an Fm ..but that is going back to what I wrote above ,mix them up....it is a long song and you now have alternative progressions....Have at it ...

Last edited:
Wow , this is just what I've been looking for. I needed something new to learn and this is just great. Any more suggestions for songs in this style would be awesome. Thanks again .

Top Bottom