Season 127 - Stories!

The Ballad of Jed Clampett

Here's a blast from the past. The theme music from The Beverly Hillbillies, sung by Jerry Scoggins, backed by greats, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Flatt and Scruggs released a single and it spent 20 weeks on the Billboard Country singles charts, peaking at #1 for three weeks and #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1962.

My submission this week is a cover from that master story teller, Bob Dylan. It tells the sad story of Hollis Brown...

I think it's the only song I've ever recorded that's essentially just one chord over and over, and I've discovered it's a lot harder than one might think, particularly with maintaining consistent tempo. I'm guessing it's because we use chord changes as measures of beat... I dunno. Walking on two feet is easier than hopping on one.
Classic Dylan lyrics. Your strumming adds to the power of this song. Very well done, Joko.

Here is my first entry. I am crazy busy this week because of work but I will try to do more.

Way to go, Liz! I'm a big Blake Shelton fan. Really nice job on this cover. I know that Bird's liked this one because of all the upstrums...... Hope you have time to do more.

Here's a blast from the past. The theme music from The Beverly Hillbillies, sung by Jerry Scoggins, backed by greats, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Flatt and Scruggs released a single and it spent 20 weeks on the Billboard Country singles charts, peaking at #1 for three weeks and #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1962.

Perfect! I can see them all piled into their truck for the intro to the show. Thanks for taking me back. Very fun.

Meat Loaf Again?

Elsewhere in the thread, someone proposed doing Paradise by the Dashboard Light, and that got me thinking--if I'm going to do a song from that album (pretty much all story songs), why not go for the most overblown Jim Steinman production of all? So here, with all the pomp and operatic overproduction a simple soprano ukulele can muster, I give you Bat Out of Hell.

... "Walking on two feet is easier than hopping on one."

Love that line! Yours or a quote? If it isn't from a song, it sure ought to be! :)

BTW, loved your "Hollis Brown" and agree completely with your point about the difficulty of keeping tempo with only a single chord.

Elsewhere in the thread, someone proposed doing Paradise by the Dashboard Light, and that got me thinking--if I'm going to do a song from that album (pretty much all story songs), why not go for the most overblown Jim Steinman production of all? So here, with all the pomp and operatic overproduction a simple soprano ukulele can muster, I give you Bat Out of Hell.

I still have this LP. Great song choice. You did this very well. Vocals and uke both sound really good, Luis.

I'm not a big fan of rap or hip hop in general, but I do love some of the old school stuff. This was the hardest song I've ever tried to do. Some of these lines are a real mouthful! BEATBOX WARNING!

Biz Markie by Biz Markwo

Having put S126 to bed, I can concentrate on the current season. I had a few ideas about possible songs but I was looking through my song list and I came across this one. A traditional English song which comes in many variants often with different tunes. I like this Dorian mode tune for it, though.

Some people attach mystical significance to the song associating it with fertility rites, but I think it's just about beer. :drool: :iwant:

Creeque Alley - The Mamas & The Papas

Back in Season 102, when Fred educated me about the blues (also, coincidentally where I discovered the value of never missing a Season, *especially* if I do not at first glance think I "like" the theme), I noticed that this fun little song that we do in our local jam group is a blues song.

It's also an excellent (mostly) true story song about the music scene of the '60's, and the origins of The Mamas and The Papas.

And it's simply great fun to play and sing.

Played on my newly re-strung uke (trying Martin M600's this time), tuned up a half step temporarily to try to settle it by Friday, when I'm performing a song with a friend at a show.

(So glad that ice cream truck drove by *after* I finished the take!)

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of rap or hip hop in general, but I do love some of the old school stuff. This was the hardest song I've ever tried to do. Some of these lines are a real mouthful! BEATBOX WARNING!

Biz Markie by Biz Markwo

Love the beat box at the start! Love everything about this song. Well done.

Gold Miner's Lament

The tragic story of Josefa Loaiza, a woman hanged for murder during the California gold rush. I shot this at Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite National Park.

Top Bottom