Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Mango/Mango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redwood/Other

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other/Other

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters
I think it depends on the build and cut, too; two ukes with the same woods and the same design can sound very different.

Me, I prefer cedar or redwood, and think spruce is a tad too shrill for a small instrument. Just a personal preference - since I also have beloved ukes in koa, mahogany and mango...

What wood requires the least care and the most durable? Which wood is least effected by humidity? I'm not what one would call fastidious.

My best sounding uke is a cedar/walnut Covered Bridge concert. The downside of cedar is its softness, hence vulnerability to strum marks and other damage. Mahogany is my second choice for tonewood.

Although not really wood, Martin's HPL is durable and waterproof.

:D

Mine are ones with internal bracing, you can play 'em

Joking aside, for tenor I like a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. Concert and soprano all mahogany or all koa.

Last edited:
I started with an all koa ukulele. I've been through 23 ukuleles since then and I've found that I have gone back to the all koa that I started with. It's punchy, resonant, and classic sounding to my ear because I grew up in Hawai'i. My favorites along the way? An Adirondack/Cocobolo Compass Rose. A Monterey Cypress/Cambodian Rosewood William King. And an Mahogany Martin. But I keep on coming back to that '70s all koa Kamaka tenor.

I started with an all koa ukulele. I've been through 23 ukuleles since then and I've found that I have gone back to the all koa that I started with. It's punchy, resonant, and classic sounding to my ear because I grew up in Hawai'i. My favorites along the way? An Adirondack/Cocobolo Compass Rose. A Monterey Cypress/Cambodian Rosewood William King. And an Mahogany Martin. But I keep on coming back to that '70s all koa Kamaka tenor.

Hey can you describe punchy to me?

I'm having a custom tenor made with african blackwood back and sides to me it's the best tone wood available as much of the brazilian rosewood out there now is low quality stuff. AB has a bell like quality with deep basses and clear chime like trebles. The top is sinker redwood to add some warmth my builder and I both felt the Adirondack spruce I sent was to bright. Should have it by mid October and will post pics and sound files when I get it.

As a side note using kasha bracing and the sound holes on the bottom left of the soundboard and a second one on the upper bout much like Eric Devine is building his ukes.

Man would love to see pics when u get it. Congrats
I'm having a custom tenor made with african blackwood back and sides to me it's the best tone wood available as much of the brazilian rosewood out there now is low quality stuff. AB has a bell like quality with deep basses and clear chime like trebles. The top is sinker redwood to add some warmth my builder and I both felt the Adirondack spruce I sent was to bright. Should have it by mid October and will post pics and sound files when I get it.

So far I've been pretty traditional with my 2 Martins being solid Koa and vintage mahogany. Although recently I was in a uke shop and was strumming a fair selection of ukes and the cedar/mahogany really stood out, I'm now very close to pulling the trigger on a cedar/myrtle. Not sure how to describe the sound, it just stood out from the solid koa and mahogany of a couple mainstream brands. It played well and sounded clear and sparkly.

There is just something classic and magical about mahogany/mahogany and koa/koa when they open up. I lean toward mahogany/mahogany.

Fwc

All quilted maple for looks and sound or all Oregon Myrtle of the same reasons. Strung through the body, and with s8543 PEGHEDS to keep them tight and light. All mahogany for traditional wood.

For me, no question: Koa & Koa!!

Top Bottom