Why do you like solid Koa? (and one more question)

OK I really hope I'm not being annoying here but I'm trying to get my head around the idea of tonewoods and how they differ. I'm like a dog on scent when I get like this and I can be a little obsessive. So I apologize if that's how this appears. I'm just planning on spending some real cash on another instrument without holding it in person and I'm trying to up my odds of hitting somewhere near the bullseye.

So... Back to Koa. I'm studying all these descriptions of Koa and over and over I hear "the traditional ukulele sound" . I understand that to mean a happy sound, bright, cheerful. But then they say it is a very warm sounding wood. What does that mean in relation to to what they are saying about traditional sound?

Warm compared to what? Spruce? Cedar? Mahogany?

Describing a sound with words is like trying to describe the ride quality of a lawn tractor by using guttural utterances created with the tongue and pursed lips: one may get the gist from a series of "raspberries" and vigorous clucks, but until one hops on the tractor for themself, it's all mental ballyhoo.

You can read one hundred descriptions of Koa for ukuleles from as many players, but you'll never understand it's virtues and shortcomings until you strum it yourself. After forty-odd replies, you are still asking about the sound of Koa; it's not at all annoying, it's merely par for the course for the natural inadequacy of words to describe sounds.

I encourage you to use UU (and your automobile with a full tank of gasoline) and venture out. You live in an area with other UUers and uke groups: seek peers who own Koa ukuleles--as ubiquitous as the common housefly--and tell us how you would describe it, Ice.

You, like us before you, have but one choice: to strum the Koa instrument for yourself.

Last edited:
OK I really hope I'm not being annoying here but I'm trying to get my head around the idea of tonewoods and how they differ. I'm like a dog on scent when I get like this and I can be a little obsessive. So I apologize if that's how this appears. I'm just planning on spending some real cash on another instrument without holding it in person and I'm trying to up my odds of hitting somewhere near the bullseye.

So... Back to Koa. I'm studying all these descriptions of Koa and over and over I hear "the traditional ukulele sound" . I understand that to mean a happy sound, bright, cheerful. But then they say it is a very warm sounding wood. What does that mean in relation to to what they are saying about traditional sound?

Warm compared to what? Spruce? Cedar? Mahogany?

I don't think you're being annoying at all, but I will make one recommendation - if there is a possibility that you can go to a shop, or a ukulele meetup, and try a bunch of different ukes, you really should do that and come to your own conclusions. Reading the posts here, and in the other thread you started, may help narrow it down, but in the end - it's just a bunch of random strangers on the internet offering their opinions, which will range from well-informed to ill-informed and everything in between.

Speaking of ill-informed opinions - here's mine, with regard to koa and "warm." First, I'll just say that I'd probably never consider a wood other than koa or mahogany, and having just sold my last mahogany uke, I think I've concluded that the latter is just not for me. I play only instrumentals, a lot of classical, and yes, a lot of minor keys, and very little strumming. For strumming and tin pan alley chord melodies - I think mahogany is great! But I find it's just too brash sounding for the single-note and campanella arrangements that I spend most of my time with.

Others have talked about koa being "balanced" so I guess I'd agree with that - to my ear, there's a good balance between really clear bell-like tones (that I like to call "sparkly" sounding) and really resonant low tones (that I like to call "dark" sounding). I've owned at least a half-dozen koa ukes, and this has been consistent with all of them. I think I've owned three mahogany ukes, and the "brash" sound I described above has been consistent in all of those - although of those three, the sole vintage 1920s one had the best balance of bell-like highs and dark lows. I'm still drawn to the sound of vintage mahogany for this reason, but I just don't want the hassle of a vintage uke (slipping tuners, intonation issues, cracks, etc).

As for "traditional" sound - I suppose it depends on one's tradition. If it's Hawaiian, then koa. If it's tin pan alley, then mahogany for sure! But that doesn't factor into my fondness for koa at all - although I lived in Hawaii as a kid and dream of going back all the time, I don't even consider sentimental value when buying an instrument. I play little to no Hawaiian music, or even "ukulele" music for that matter. I just play "music," and I've found for the types of songs and arrangements I enjoy, koa works best.

Hope some of that rambling from a random stranger on the Interwebs helped! But really, if at all possible - you need to get your hands on a few high-end koa ukes and see for yourself.

I don't think you're being annoying at all, but I will make one recommendation - if there is a possibility that you can go to a shop, or a ukulele meetup, and try a bunch of different ukes, you really should do that and come to your own conclusions. Reading the posts here, and in the other thread you started, may help narrow it down, but in the end - it's just a bunch of random strangers on the internet offering their opinions, which will range from well-informed to ill-informed and everything in between.

Speaking of ill-informed opinions - here's mine, with regard to koa and "warm." First, I'll just say that I'd probably never consider a wood other than koa or mahogany, and having just sold my last mahogany uke, I think I've concluded that the latter is just not for me. I play only instrumentals, a lot of classical, and yes, a lot of minor keys, and very little strumming. For strumming and tin pan alley chord melodies - I think mahogany is great! But I find it's just too brash sounding for the single-note and campanella arrangements that I spend most of my time with.

Others have talked about koa being "balanced" so I guess I'd agree with that - to my ear, there's a good balance between really clear bell-like tones (that I like to call "sparkly" sounding) and really resonant low tones (that I like to call "dark" sounding). I've owned at least a half-dozen koa ukes, and this has been consistent with all of them. I think I've owned three mahogany ukes, and the "brash" sound I described above has been consistent in all of those - although of those three, the sole vintage 1920s one had the best balance of bell-like highs and dark lows. I'm still drawn to the sound of vintage mahogany for this reason, but I just don't want the hassle of a vintage uke (slipping tuners, intonation issues, cracks, etc).

As for "traditional" sound - I suppose it depends on one's tradition. If it's Hawaiian, then koa. If it's tin pan alley, then mahogany for sure! But that doesn't factor into my fondness for koa at all - although I lived in Hawaii as a kid and dream of going back all the time, I don't even consider sentimental value when buying an instrument. I play little to no Hawaiian music, or even "ukulele" music for that matter. I just play "music," and I've found for the types of songs and arrangements I enjoy, koa works best.

Hope some of that rambling from a random stranger on the Interwebs helped! But really, if at all possible - you need to get your hands on a few high-end koa ukes and see for yourself.

that was a really helpful post. I'm going to keep looking at Koa now. Thanks.

The Tahitian ukuleles are much more crudely built out of a solid body with a thin wood diaphragm that the bridge sits on. Sort of like a really bad banjo. In Tahiti, any ukulele that has a built-up sound box is called a Kamaka (and is prized because such things are out of reach for many Tahitians). Before I figured this out, I managed to confuse a young women who stopped me as I walked down the main drag in Papeete carrying a uke in a case. She asked me whether I had a Kamaka in the case. I laughed, said, "Non," and pulled out my ukulele to show her. To her, it was a "Kamaka" so she just shook her head and walked away. So much for impressing the locals.

In Tahiti a Tahitian uke is called "ukulele". All other traditionally shaped ukes as we know them are called "Kamaka". These Hawaiian style ukes are highly coveted over the Tahitian ukuleles and command a much, much higher price there.

In Tahiti a Tahitian uke is called "ukulele". All other traditionally shaped ukes as we know them are called "Kamaka". These Hawaiian style ukes are highly coveted over the Tahitian ukuleles and command a much, much higher price there.

Exactly.

Also, saying that the Tahitian-style ukes are generally a bit crude isn't meant to diminish the locals in any way. The music that they get out of their instruments is absolutely wonderful. It's very different from the Hawaiian style, well-adapted to the instruments, and has a charm second to none. I can listen to it all day long.

Exactly.

Also, saying that the Tahitian-style ukes are generally a bit crude isn't meant to diminish the locals in any way. The music that they get out of their instruments is absolutely wonderful. It's very different from the Hawaiian style, well-adapted to the instruments, and has a charm second to none. I can listen to it all day long.

here is a video of Chuck's friends from Tahiti
sounds real Hawaiian to me....:)

btw that is an all Koa MB.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...d=10204392147432272&offset=0&total_comments=7

Exactly.

Yes, there are inexpensive, crude Tahitian ukes and that may be the majority of them just as the majority of traditional (Hawaiian style) ukes are inexpensive imports. But I have a beautiful hand carved uke from the Marquesas that is exquisitely made. I just wish I could get that stem down. I can't even listen that fast! It's infectious music.

and if you lived in Hawaii before moving to Tahiti, then you make a hybrid like Woody Howard! They sound really full compared to the Tahitian ukes.

and if you lived in Hawaii before moving to Tahiti, then you make a hybrid like Woody Howard! They sound really full compared to the Tahitian ukes.

True. Better yet, he was kind enough to sell me a set of the tou (kou in Hawaii) that he builds with. Someday that will make a special ukulele.

True. Better yet, he was kind enough to sell me a set of the tou (kou in Hawaii) that he builds with. Someday that will make a special ukulele.

Nice...I bought some loose pearls and got a full shell, which I found out is illegal to bring. hahaha

I have two Koa tenors (Pohaku and Collings) and they both sound different. Both offer great dynamic range--I don't feel I have to choke them to get sound out of them. The Pohaku is at the 'sweeter' end of the sound spectrum and the Collings is at the 'brighter' end. I once played a Chuck Moore koa tenor. It sounded wonderful of course, but very different from the other two.

The advice many of us on UU follow is to buy the best ukulele you can afford and spend a LOT of time learning to play music. Some day the uke of your dreams will come along...so start saving.

Last edited:
I can afford any uke I want within reason. Lets say five grand give or take a grand. I just don't think I'd get much more for that then I would for one or two grand. I'm not that much into bling.

At my age I have more money than time. :(

Last edited:
I can afford any uke I want within reason. Lets say five grand give or take a grand I just don't think I'd get much more for that then I would for one or two grand. I'm not that much into bling.

At my age I have more money than time. :(

Ha ha, at my age (just this side of 50) I still don't have enough of either :)

Unless one is into bling (I'm not), I don't see any reason to pay more than two grand for a uke, especially when one is still fairly new to playing - because really, going over $2K is going into custom territory, and at this point in your uke journey you may not even know for certain what you really want/need. Even as an experienced player, the one time I ordered a custom I was *so* certain it would be all the uke I needed - fast forward two years and my needs/wants have changed radically!

Two grand gives you a lot of options, especially if you are able to buy in person or from a shop with a liberal return policy.

Top Bottom