Vendor for single wound 4th strings for baritone?

Rob Wahl

Reaction score
I have both low-G tenor and baritone ukes whose string sets normally include wound strings. These wear much faster than the other strings, and I don't relish buying entire string sets just to replace the wound strings.

Can anyone recommend an affordable source for single wound baritone strings? I can get single tenor wound 4ths (Aquilas) from Strings by Mail, but they don't offer single strings for baritones. Can I substitute a single guitar or banjo string with good results? Can I buy long lengths (or even small spools) of suitable wound string somewhere?

Please DON'T recommend the Aquila reds to me: I know I can get these as singles. I've tried them on both my tenors and baritones; I'm quite happy with the baritone 3rds, but no matter what approach I take to acclimate them, the 4ths on both my tenors and baritones ALWAYS break in short order (minutes to a couple days, even without play). Aquila needs to do more work on the formulation and not pretend the fault is with the buyers' improper handling.

On a related note, I've been meaning to try the Worth baritone strings, but since they're all fluorocarbon strings, including the 4th, I'd like to get other people's feedback on them first. Are they low-D sets?

Southcoast has started selling singles of his strings, though it might take a bit of experimentation to find the right one for your set.

Check Elderly. I think in addition to the Aquila Red singles they had some for other sets?

What strings are you using?

Last edited:
cdkrugjr asked: What strings are you using?

I've mostly been using Aquilas, though on a couple of my ukes I find them over-bright or hard. I've got Worth browns on order to try on one of my tenors, and I switched to D'Addario Pro Artés for my solid mahogany concert—it seems a happy marriage. I like the Aquilas on my baritones, but if someone else provides more durable wound strings I'd chance a change in sound.

To DaveY: Since the package of the Fremont Soloist Low-G only lists soprano, concert and tenor sizes, I'm sure the string isn't long enough for a baritone, the bastard child of the uke family. (The "low" string on a baritone is actually a D; the 3rd string is a G.)

I couldn't find string gauges listed for Aquilas. A package of Martin baritone strings, however, says:
G-3rd Aluminum Wound on Nylon .034in - .86mm
D-4th Silverplated Copper on Nylon .035in - .89mm
A page at Elderly Instruments said that the Aquila baritone 3rd string gauge was .031 (which tallies with the Fremont tenor G of .030), but said the 4th string gauge was .027, which is clearly wrong. D'Addario gauges (silverplated copper) are .030 and .035, going lighter with their mellower Nyltech strings.

Top Bottom