Blackbird Clara Concert - Review

stevepetergal

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have the traveling Blackbird Clara Concert ukulele for a week.

I was even more fortunate to get the Clara for another week after Blackbird restrung it with their preferred strings and did whatever set-up ajustments they felt necessary. (I thought the set up was great as it was) Upon re-review, I've made changes to this review. You will find them here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-re-review-Now-I-get-it&p=1580163#post1580163

Features – 7
Carbon fiber/”Ekoa” materials, pineapple shape concert body, offset soundhole, 12 frets to the body, 17 total frets, matte finish, tie bridge, Gotoh tuning machines. All very nice. I would need a few weeks to get used to the smooth round back. It slips and slides around as you play. But, that’s a small thing, in fact nothing at all if one uses a strap. I give the features a 7.

Action - 10
Let’s start here, because this is where the Clara ukulele really shines. I have a Koaloha, have owned a Mya Moe (#290), have owned three Kanile’as, played two Moore Bettuhs, played three Ko’Olaus, several Boat Paddles, and dozens of Kamakas, all superb instruments in their own rights. The very best fret work I have ever seen is on the Blackbird Clara. The neck is absolutely perfect, perhaps because these materials make precision easier than wood might. The neck is C shaped, not too thin, and not at all thick. Weight is great. The fret board is smooth as glass (of course).
The frets are beautifully level, with a perfect amount of relief. The frets are as smooth as silk, fret ends are almost unbelievable. Each end is a perfect mirror image of the others. Never seen anything like it. (Photo) I like very much that, even with a standard 1 3/8" nut, there's about 1/8" between the outside string and the edge of the fretboard. And still the strings are not too close together. Just right for me.
Action is not the lowest I’ve played but is low and very nice. This instrument plays as well as or better than any ukulele in my experience. One thing I didn’t like (and the folks at Blackbird might want to address) is the headstock. They’ve made it a bit small, which doesn’t bother me. But the G and A tuners are at least a half an inch closer to the nut than on any of my concert ukuleles. This was a problem for me. I had the instrument for six days, played it for about three hours a day (practicing for a Bach festival), and never stopped running into the A tuner with my knuckle, (and I play only concerts). This may be just me, so in light of the magnificent workmanship on the neck and frets, Clara still gets a 10 for Action. (I don’t believe in perfect scores, but it’s that good)

Fit and Finish – 5
I separated this from action because the action was so good. Fit is very good. Edges are nice and smooth. How could you go wrong with plastic in a mold? I like the look of the “Ekoa”. The lines in the material look like machine-made flame grain. Like a mix of high-tech and high-end old-school. But the finish (although there is no finish) is odd. Although the rounded back is smooth and beautiful, the top looks like a wood top that has been left in the sun for a month or two. It feels dried out and rough, like 300 grit sandpaper. How can this be with no wood or finish? It even appears to have light lines going with the grain that mirror nitrocellulose lacquer finish failure!(?) I give it a 5 for fit and finish. Post script - I originally gave it a 3.5, but after further reflection, decided to raise it 1.5 points because the top imperfections might be deterioration due to age or exposure. This is after all, a loner, not a brand new instrument. (But, deterioration of a carbon fiber type material? Shouldn't be.)

Reliability/Durability - 9
Again how can you go wrong? The materials are light, solid, and almost as durable as steel. The tuners are excellent. 9, if indeed carbon fiber is as durable and stable as we’re told.

Customer Support
I cannot comment with authority, except to say the company is American and is building the instruments at their home facility. I assume they must be available and responsive to their customers.

Sound – 3.5
Preface: The traveling Clara came with enough sets of strings for each player to restring the instrument, which I did as soon as it arrived. (I didn’t like the Pro Arte J92 strings that came with it. Tension too high for my taste, but will not hold that against the ukulele)
I have read much about the Clara having very long sustain, but that’s not at all what I experienced. Each note has a loud, full, initial sound that stops almost immediately. I describe this sound as almost a “thump” on the instrument combined with a banjo-like “boing”. Once this initial sound has decayed, the remaining sound is like a very small ukulele sound and does continue for some amount of time. But, it decays completely as quickly as a typical ukulele, not as well as any of my concerts. Then add to this the A string being exaggerated in these regards. It sounded like a banjo string (and yes, I had a set of the same D'Addario strings and replaced it to no avail or benefit). The ukulele sounds like a plastic ukulele. No two ways about it. Here’s where I cannot use facts but must give my opinion. I found the sound most disappointing. The intonation is (as the action) as good as any I have ever played, i.e.: the relationships between the notes of the scale are consistently excellent, and up the neck octaves line up perfectly. It’s amazing. So, it sounds like a very good plastic instrument. I listened to the video clip on Blackbird’s site to verify what I was hearing. Yes, it’s the same. “Boing”, very quick initial decay, followed by not much sound, and fair sustain at best. The Clara gets a 3.5 for sound. Please, keep in mind this is my opinion. Be advised also that in my opinion, the further from a banjo-like sound the better. Sorry you banjo players, not my thing.

Overall Rating - Complicated
I like the Clara very much. In my opinion, it is among the best made ukuleles available. It is very clear to me the Blackbird people know what they’re doing and do it as well as anyone. Under the very closest scrutiny, the instrument is nearly perfect. But, I have to give it two overall ratings. The main one is a 7.25. The other is what I’ll call a “Value” rating. The Blackbird Clara lists for $1,150 on their web site. This is a price I have happily paid for ukuleles. But, those are performance instruments. You could say the Clara is as good as any of them, but I would not want to play one in performance. The sound is not performance quality. We have available to us other ukuleles made of alternate materials that are great for strumming, general playing, and the love of ukulele music. But for $1,150, I want an instrument that can play a nice legato line and one that I can use to accompany another musician beautifully. The Clara doesn't give me that. I can’t figure out the Clara’s niche. It’s too expensive to be simply a practice instrument. And it’s surely far too fine an instrument to be relegated to practice only. And although it would hold up to extensive travel and use/abuse, it does not fit my expectations for performance. Value rating for me is no better than a 1. So, each must decide. If it fills your personal needs, the Blackbird Clara’s a 7.25, if not, it’s surely much lower. If you like the sound, maybe it’s a 9. In fact, if you must have a very high quality instrument for practice only, it may be a "must-have" for you. I recommend playing one before you buy.

Attachments

• blackbird 1.jpg
    blackbird 1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 76
  • blackbird 2.jpg
    blackbird 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 58
  • blackbird 2.5.jpg
    blackbird 2.5.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 54
  • blackbird 4.jpg
    blackbird 4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Really good review, thanks. I'm a lefty, do you think it would change anything if you flipped it over and played it left? The position of the sound hole has me curious...

It's possible you'd have to widen the E string slot to accommodate the C string. The only other diff I can think of is the soundhole being on the lower side of the body when flipped over for the southpaw.

Great review Steve. Thanks for the details.

I wonder if the Clara would sound better with Fluorocarbon strings instead of the nylon Pro Arte strings?
The last time I played Pro Arte strings was on Kamaka concert 4 years ago. I remember they lacked sustain and were a little muddy sounding.

Maybe I'll try FC strings on my week with the Clara.

Great review Steve. Thanks for the details.

I wonder if the Clara would sound better with Fluorocarbon strings instead of the nylon Pro Arte strings?
The last time I played Pro Arte strings was on Kamaka concert 4 years ago. I remember they lacked sustain and were a little muddy sounding.

Maybe I'll try FC strings on my week with the Clara.

Two thoughts:
To compare the fluorocarbons to the nylons, you'd have to buy your own strings, as well as wait for settling-in time for each. You've only got a week. I don't think you'd have time enough to try either. I'd say try it with the nylon strings (the ones they provide). I don't think there would be much difference between the two anyway. Most people seem to believe you get more sustain with the higher tension strings anyway. Hence, the fluorocarbons wouldn't help.
In fairness, there were lots of sets of the nylon strings in the box with the ukulele. All but 2 (maybe 3) were the J92s. The others were also D'addarios, but different materials (one Nyltech, and one other I don't remember). I used the J92s because apparently they wanted those to be used primarily.

Thanks for the review. I apologize for the confusion here, but we've actually set up Clara with low action for use with narrower diameter flourocarbons. Pro-arte nylons are too low tension and the wide diameter of the 'C' string in particular will compromise the tone given the low action. Workable, but a custom set-up is needed with a different nut slot width and more standard action. Put another way Clara actually is designed for use with Oasis or another brand fluorocarbon strings at the moment. Nylon strings are simply not the right choice and compromise the set-up and therefore tone! That is why the sustain for one is reduced. Apologies if that is what is now on the instrument (and in the case) but we need to change that!

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
I respect but am a bit shocked by this review. To me, Clara is equal to or better than my wood instruments in terms of loudness and sustain. And the tone is at least as good as that from most of my wood instruments. My Clara still has the original Oasis strings that were installed by Blackbird, so maybe string differences explain the reviewer's comments. But I'm surprised that differences in string types would make that much of a difference. Wow.

I respect but am a bit shocked by this review. To me, Clara is equal to or better than my wood instruments in terms of loudness and sustain. And the tone is at least as good as that from most of my wood instruments. My Clara still has the original Oasis strings that were installed by Blackbird, so maybe string differences explain the reviewer's comments. But I'm surprised that differences in string types would make that much of a difference. Wow.

my thoughts exactly, my Clara sounds excellent.

Hard to fault Steve's review: both thorough and thoughtful. In my opinion both Steve and Clara have been betrayed by string choice. Mine came with the Oasis GPX strings which were too bright for my taste, like too much chrome bling on a car. Fremont Blacklines to the rescue. I've never played the J92 strings so I can only comment from the standpoint of a Clara owner; the sound quality Steve describes does not match what I experience playing my Clara everyday: a concert ukulele with the larger sound of a tenor.

The top looks like papyrus to me.

I understand. But, the one I had on loan was exactly as I describe. I have no ax to grind. I sincerely wanted it to be better than it was. Better sounding, as I have said, it is a magnificent instrument. Again, I point to the video on Blackbird's own web site. That one sounds just like I describe the one I had. But I just watched a video of Kalei Gamiao playing one and it sounded better, (but still like plastic and mostly as I describe the loaner), but it also sounded more amplified than acoustic, (not to mention Kalei is a wizard), so hard to really assess. It seems to have some sustain, but upon careful listening, it seems to be only the wound string he's playing that sustains.

uke_good_boy and Sailinguke, I hope one day I get a chance to play yours. Maybe some sound very different than others(?). If this is the case, I double down on the final statement in my review. Try it before you buy.

Last edited:
I find this review by Mr. Petergal to be thorough and I do not for an instant doubt his sincerity or his command of the language necessary to articulate the strengths, and the shortcomings, of this loaned instrument. It is a heartfelt review, meant to help those in the market for this ukulele.

Thank you, Mr. Petergal. Based on your wisdom, I will avoid it like the Bubonic plague.

(That's a joke, folks. I'm, actually, looking forward to trying it sometime).

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I apologize for the confusion here, but we've actually set up Clara with low action for use with narrower diameter flourocarbons. Pro-arte nylons are too low tension and the wide diameter of the 'C' string in particular will compromise the tone given the low action. Workable, but a custom set-up is needed with a different nut slot width and more standard action. Put another way Clara actually is designed for use with Oasis or another brand fluorocarbon strings at the moment. Nylon strings are simply not the right choice and compromise the set-up and therefore tone! That is why the sustain for one is reduced. Apologies if that is what is now on the instrument (and in the case) but we need to change that!

Thanks,
Joe
I am slated to receive the Roadtrip Clara in August. I don't mind buying my own set of strings. My local music stores are limited in options - mostly Martins and Aquilas and probably not low G. But, I am am heading to the D.C. area before then, where there is much more selection. So, I should look for Oasis low G concert?

Last edited:
I find this review by Mr. Petergal to be thorough and I do not for an instant doubt his sincerity or his command of the language necessary to articulate the strengths, and the shortcomings, of this loaned instrument. It is a heartfelt review, meant to help those in the market for this ukulele.

I completely agree with all of these comments. The OP's review is thorough, sincere, heartfelt, well-written, and believable. Hence my respectful shock.

This thread is very interesting to me, as I just received my Clara about 2 hours ago. I can't give a thorough review yet, obviously, but I sat and played for a good while and was rather impressed with the tone. Yes, it is a little bright, but overall the sound is great. I tend to love spruce/maple combinations, so maybe Clara's brightness is just more suited to my ear than others. I had mine set up with Peghed tuners and the "blackout" option (black nut and saddle). It came with the Oasis high g, and I have no complaints. The sound is very full and it has tremendous sustain. I am not sure how much it helps exactly, but I do play with nails, and I tend to do mostly finger style, with some strumming mixed in. Nails will help sustain and clarity, but I suspect fluorocarbon strings play a huge role too. Anyway, for my purposes, it sounds great. Also, the playability is very nice and smooth. Real easy action and a good feel. I'm not having any issues with the slick back slipping (I mostly play sitting down, though). The back and headstock face are polished up very well and look great. The neck was left more 'satin,' which helps with the feel and makes for a fast neck. I do notice a little patchiness to the finish on the top. It's mostly gloss, but does have a few spots where it seems like it could have used more polishing. Nothing egregious, though, like was stated in the OP's review.

I'm going to spend some more time with it, but I will elaborate in my own review thread once I have a chance.

-Steve

Last edited:

Thanks,
Joe

I have no dog in this fight but the above statement from the Blackbird company carries a lot of weight. It should be stipulated to leave the instrument set up as received from the factory. Different strings will definifely give a different sound.

You receive a race car to test drive and start changing tires, suspension and engine parts and the inherent dynamics will completely change.

No knock on Steves review, it was very well thought out and complete.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Joe

I have played at least 6 Clara's at HMS and thought they all sounded nice with the Oasis strings....
why did you send it out with so many different string sets in the case? just being nosey.....:)

While it could be the Clara just isn't for Steve, I'd love to have him give it a go with a different set of strings. I have Aquila Reds on mine. Several dozens of people tried it at the SoCal Uke Mountain Retreat earlier this summer and the universal comment was "amazing sustain" and "incredible sound".

Personally, I think any road trip uke should have the luthier stipulate certain strings be put back on before it gets passed to the next person. Imagine a car company allowing extended test drives in a sports car and letting people put whatever tires and wheels they wanted on the car and then pass it to the next person? Tires and wheels can have a dramatic affect on road feel and performance. Same thing with uke strings.

Last edited:
We're going to arrange for the road trip Clara to be shipped back to Blackbird for new strings and a thorough check up. We'll then send back to the first participants, if they'd like, for a second review with the strings Blackbird uses from the factory.

Top Bottom