What's the Scoop on Moore Bettah ukes?

To be honest, I have always wondered how Chuck is able to sell them at such low prices. The number of man hours that goes into each instrument must be insanely high.

A custom guitar does not require much more effort, and would be priced much, much higher.

I've heard but cannot prove that he has a magic elf that he has enslaved to do most of the grunt work.

Chuck Moore is indeed a Master Craftsman at his art. I just returned last night after spending a week in Hawaii working if you can believe that...lol I have been trying to meet Chuck for the past few years, but the timing of my trips never proved successful. Well this past weekend at the Ukulele Festival in Honolulu, I had the great honor and pleasure of finally having the opportunity to meet the man...the legend. I also thanks to Len (and with much Aloha and appreciation) I was finally able to hold in my hands and actually play one of Chuck Moore's creation. It is of no wonder why it is Moore Bettah. His creations are truly one of the few that could be considered in the Stratosphere...visual beauty, build quality, and tonality. How much MOORE can be said. I want one!!!

I've heard but cannot prove that he has a magic elf that he has enslaved to do most of the grunt work.
Chuck will tell ya, it's not an elf . . . in Hawai'i they're called Menehune.

Chuck will tell ya, it's not an elf . . . in Hawai'i they're called Menehune.

So, let me get this straight.... Chuck Moore's "nice guy" persona is just a cover for his illegal Menehune trafficking business. The man is truly evil.

worthy praise for a worthy instrument...

and an even worthier guy!

keep uke'in',

That's it! :biglaugh: :rofl:

I believe we have made a complete circle in this thread, from wondering if Chuck's ukes are all that and a bag of chips to exposing him as venal scum. Our job is finished - peace, love and ukulele.

Hi, Greenie,

Still in Waikiki?

Mmstan, Utako, GeeTee and I had a chance to hobnob w/Corey at Nico's for lunch yesterday,
and then have none other than Chris Kamaka serenade us at the Kanikapila Grille at The Outrigger last night
before Utako flew back to Beautiful British Columbia.

Thanks again for the great one on one time Wed evening.

Keep uke'in',

As a wise man once told me "It's expensive because it is worth it!"

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to hand-crafted instruments.

I decided to spend on an LFdM, but I got to meet him and try it first. I'm really lucky for that experience. Had I not had the chance to try it I would likely have purchased a Kanile'a tenor, because there's a lower element of risk for someone who had only been playing for two years and spending more than logic dictated. I wouldn't be comfortable paying $2k, $3k+ without ever seeing or trying one. An Aston Martin is a breathtaking car, but maybe I won't be comfortable inside, maybe I won't feel "at home" in one. If I can't try one I'll head to the exotic dealership and try different other cars to see which suits me best. The prospect of going from the joy of acquiring to disappointment would be one hell of a ride, and one I don't want. Furthermore, there's the added challenge of waiting for him to build one that I really liked (no boobie sirens, etc.) and hope to successfully bid on it. So instead I enjoy the videos of people playing MBs while Luis build me a fully custom 'petite bouche' tenor :p

They sound lovely, don't like the fancy inlays.

I think Chuck would die of shock if I put an order in: satin finish, no inlays.. oh go on you can do a black white black rosette, some player position markers and put your name on the headstock, but thats it. Woods? I'll take the plainest you got. Got any sinker redwood, that'll do for the top, whatever you fancy for the back and sides (as long as its plain) and I'm not too fussed about the neck wood. Binding? Nah. Tuning machines? Whatever you got.

I think Chuck would die of shock if I put an order in: satin finish, no inlays.. oh go on you can do a black white black rosette, some player position markers and put your name on the headstock, but thats it. Woods? I'll take the plainest you got. Got any sinker redwood, that'll do for the top, whatever you fancy for the back and sides (as long as its plain) and I'm not too fussed about the neck wood. Binding? Nah. Tuning machines? Whatever you got.

Pundabaya, I don't think you'd get to "put an order in." He only accepts customers he feels an affinity for, and it doesn't have anything to do with how little or how much bling they want. It has to do with who you are as a person, what the meaning of your uke's design concept is, and whether he'd like to work with you through a build. Then, what you receive is a uke of great beauty, playability, and meaning that you'll never want to part with.

pundabaya, i don't think you'd get to "put an order in." he only accepts customers he feels an affinity for, and it doesn't have anything to do with how little or how much bling they want. It has to do with who you are as a person, what the meaning of your uke's design concept is, and whether he'd like to work with you through a build. Then, what you receive is a uke of great beauty, playability, and meaning that you'll never want to part with.

No uke for you!

You'd never be able to put an order in. Chuck , more than likely, would suggest you try elsewhere. He'd "suggest" cause of the gentleman he is. Custom ukes are more than just an order no matter how plain. Aong with the skill, the luthier puts his hana in it and that's what makes the difference.

Luis is very lucky that his clients don't have the same attitude as Canada isn't the ukulele mecca and not too many people will travel to Ontario to try out a uke. Secondly, the variety isn't the greatest in Canada so I commend him for not trying to imitate the Hawaiian sound. Thirdly, he's only made one petite bouche so you don't know how it sounds…you took a leap of faith. The sound is very different between the large and small sound hole.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to hand-crafted instruments.

I decided to spend on an LFdM, but I got to meet him and try it first. I'm really lucky for that experience. Had I not had the chance to try it I would likely have purchased a Kanile'a tenor, because there's a lower element of risk for someone who had only been playing for two years and spending more than logic dictated. I wouldn't be comfortable paying $2k, $3k+ without ever seeing or trying one. An Aston Martin is a breathtaking car, but maybe I won't be comfortable inside, maybe I won't feel "at home" in one. If I can't try one I'll head to the exotic dealership and try different other cars to see which suits me best. The prospect of going from the joy of acquiring to disappointment would be one hell of a ride, and one I don't want. Furthermore, there's the added challenge of waiting for him to build one that I really liked (no boobie sirens, etc.) and hope to successfully bid on it. So instead I enjoy the videos of people playing MBs while Luis build me a fully custom 'petite bouche' tenor :p

Last edited:
That is the point I'm trying to make Len. There's room for all the builders and I believe we are all looking for second best as there's none Moore Bettah ;)

I'm probably going to delete this, as I've read this thread after a few beers...... and I know how parochial things can become..

Awww don't delete. It was worth saying, and I doubt Chuck would disagree.

Last edited:
No. The sky will not open, the sun will not shine, the tunes will not grace your fretboard un-asked. You will play the uke ONLY to your abilities. Nothing "moore".... (ha)

What Mr. Moore offers is a very well made instrument at a very well made instrument price. What is sold after at a markup is what it is. Is it better than a..... Glyph? A fine Kamaka? A well made "other luthier" uke? Ask Chuck, and I'm sure you'd get the answer that makes sense, "all depends.."

There's no magic in any luthier, just competence or the alternative. Some are better to you, some are obvious firewood. MB ukes are in the "non-firewood" category, along with many other competent luthiers. Stop turning the poor guy into a god. He's a great craftsman.

A few years ago, the same worship was thrown on a few others, and really folks, there are good and bad instruments, his are good, not angelic. YOU are angelic, the uke is your tool. Get a good one, and stop worshipping the maker. His are good, if you can afford it, and have time. But you will definitely not hear angels, or the clouds parting, or your talent increase.

I'm probably going to delete this, as I've read this thread after a few beers...... and I know how parochial things can become..

Amen! I thought of many ways to bring that across and could not come up with one that would not be offensive - but luckily you did!
Thanks!

Top Bottom