Season 128 - Uppity Music Snob

Fabulous, Fred!
If I had a daughter, I would be singing this song to her all the time, but nowhere near as well as you sing it.
You have very good pitch and resonance. I was singing the bass part along with you.
Perhaps you will have something else for us this season? *hoping*

Last edited:
What kind of uke is that, it looks extra small?

It's an impulse buy. I don't NEED a new Uke. I was at a Ukulele Jamboree at the weekend and the tent literally 10 yards from my tent was selling Ukes amongst other things. I heard this particular Uke calling my name (I TOTALLY BLAME REDPAUL2 for showing me his back in June). So it's a Kala Pocket/Travel Uke (obviously a talking one as it was calling my name) I swore I wouldn't do it but UAS hit me when I wasn't looking. :)

Just listening to some Desmond Dekker.
Some good material - Sing a Little Song and Unity are very doable.
He does Baby Come Back too.
Lots of stuff there.

Last edited:

Joe Jackson 1978 (I think)

Great song and excellent rendition! You really worked out the syncopated rhythm and lead line.
I like to play this song, too, but you play and sing it better. This is a contender, for sure.
I believe the song is called 'Is She Really Going Out With Him'.
Hopefully we'll get to hear more from you this week.

Papa's In Bed With His Britches On

I can tell you are hep to the jive, daddy! Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho!
Great song and great effort with the multitracking.
I am sure you were flopping your hair back and forth like Cab while singing off camera.
Thank your for participating this week! More?

I so wanted to go with "Ain't That Lonely Yet" but it was out of the reach of my skill. I just love his music.

Yes, Ain't That Lonely Yet is a pretty difficult song.
I think this is my favorite entry of yours this week, written by one of my favorite artists.
Thank you for your entries this week! Keep on stummin'!

Wow. The List. SO MUCH MUSIC THAT I LIKE TOO!

That is most excellent to hear! I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer! Looking forward to what songs you settle on. :)

Um…anything Classical? Sorry for asking but I really don't see anything for me :/

Sammu - Would contemporary classical be of interest to you? DukeEllington is one of the greatest American composers of all time IMHO. His work can be quite challenging and it would probably take more than a week to adapt one of his compositions for the uke. But his music is so very beautiful you might want to give it a listen. I'd love to hear you play one of his pieces.

Oh my goodness, I know all of ONE of the artists on this list! Generation gap? Immigrant parents? Poor music education? All of the above? Someone please tell me what's wrong with me. Well, I guess I need to go listen to some music :)

There were quite a few names I did recognise and several I did not. I went for some genres that interested me and started looking up bands discographies. That way I found a few songs I did know - often in versions by other artists. Wikipedia is as much your friend as You Tube in this.

I am really sorry to hear people are struggling with finding songs, I figured there was a little something here for everyone, but I guess that just proves I am an uppity music snob. If it gets really bad, let me know, we can work something out.

BTW, I did add Mills Brothers, hopefully that will help.

Wow was I wrong. Once I started doing my homework Ive found some pretty familiar stuff. Loads of it has been covered by others and Im happy to say BINGO I have three in the works:)

Ok, here is a quick no brainer. Who hasn't learned this song at some point in their life?

I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer!

There's a ton of great stuff on your list! I only wish I had the time.
Like you, I love the old ZZ Top stuff (in the same way I love the old J. Geils Band stuff before they became really big). The Who, The Doors, I'd love to do some of that stuff. I'm surprised The Kinks aren't on your list though. Also, the Rocky soundtrack is probably my favorite soundtrack ever.

Yay, an excuse to do an 80's song! Another one I loved as a kid. Sorry, that's my daughter in the background making all the noise. Thanks Thunderflea!

Last edited:
Sammu - Would contemporary classical be of interest to you? DukeEllington is one of the greatest American composers of all time IMHO. His work can be quite challenging and it would probably take more than a week to adapt one of his compositions for the uke. But his music is so very beautiful you might want to give it a listen. I'd love to hear you play one of his pieces.

Thanks for thinking of me Myrna! I love contemporary classical and do play a lot but no Duke Ellington. I'll see what I can do.

….I do seem to be living in a parallel universe…

:)

I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer!
I think you're doing a great job as host in setting out this 'Challenge' ...............If it ceases to become a challenge then we cease to learn.

Last edited:
This was really lovely, you have done such a good job with this song. The baritone uke fits that song so nicely and you have a soothing voice like Peter.
My favorite concert of all time was PG at the Greek Theater in Berkeley for the Security tour, it was my 16th birthday.
You totally did this song justice, which is no easy task. If you have time, please submit another song this week.

Oh, thanks so much! No time for another song this week—we're leaving town tomorrow to go visit family . . . in Portland, actually!

Top Bottom