Season 128 - Uppity Music Snob

Here's my take on Taj Mahal's version of Henry Thomas' "Fishing Blues".

The only Taj Mahal Song I can say I've known for over 35 years...

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a big big advantage. MovieMaker is shabby agains Garageband/iMovie. OK, for the extra price of a Mac one get a lot of good software ... but who does?

PHOTOGRAPHERS, MUSICIANS, MOVIE MAKERS and ME :D

Yes, macs aren't cheap but if you want everything in one convenient package and you stop buying ukes like they are potato chip (admit it,...we all do that) they are worth it......to me!

True story: My husband was always coming in and saying I need to use your computer! I would sigh and slump and say ok but don't close out of my pages and hurry!!! ;) I would get the mac back....of course with my pages closed. Grrrrr! Id say get your own *%#@ computer!...( of course with a loving smile.) This went on for years until he said "Honey, I bought my own laptop:D it was only $400".

Guess what!.....He still says...."I need to use your computer". Arggggg

Last edited:
Cakewalk Into Town - Taj Mahal, 1972

YES! 57 takes and a horrible ending but I found a song, got it recorded and posted. Several takes with the kids to burn up the cute meter but something always happened in the last couple lines of the song. Literally sang this song so much my 4 year old knows most of the lyrics.

Earlier in the week I had a lot of fun doing a Dan Hicks track, so decided on another that was on his "Last Train To Hicksville' album, and Alan playing "My Old Timey Baby" got me into the mood even more. I didn't go back and listen to Dan's version before I recorded it, and my memory was that it was quite slow, so that's how I played it. Afterwards I listened to Dan and was surprised that mine was much slower. Oh well, it gave me a chance to get into it a bit more.

I know I received bonus points on the first one, and I am tempting fate, just like on the stock market, by averaging down with a second entry, but who cares. As Commander Cody said: this is "Too Much Fun"

I was tempted to put Uppity Music Slob because I think that's a better description for me

Wow, that sure loaded fast for a change. Here is a tune from O K L A H O M A ............. Oklahoma! BTW if anyone has any sheet music for any of the songs from this musical could you private post 'em??? Unless Thunder says post 'em here. I really wanted to do the song "People Will Say We're in Love" but it's hard to work out what chords to use. I did it with "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" for another season and it was very time consuming :)

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/peoplewi.htm

Does that help at all?

took me a week to get this down! the rhythm really messed me up! joe jackson's 'is she really going out with him' 1978

cheers all!

Just about to head off to Northern Ireland, then Scotland then Liverpool and the North West.

We'll almost certainly have no means of uploading videos on our route - so.... Happy Seasons 129 - 132!
Though we do hope to meet up with Mike F at one stage and maybe get a joint effort done for that week. :)

If anyone else on here lives in Northern Ireland (2-10th August), Lowland Scotland ( 12th - 15th) or the North West of England (15th - 26th) and fancies meeting up then PM me with a phone number and an address.

Cheers,

Berni

I tried several times this week to work out an arrangement that I could play and sing. This is the best I could come up with. It's a song from the first Blood Sweat and Tears album. No trumpets, saxophones, trombones, organ or bass guitar. Just uke and me.

Here's an Ink Spots song without the talking part. I contemplated that, but if you listen to a lot their stuff, you'll find that gimmick it gets old fast. So we have sort of a Clint Eastwood impression of the Ink Spots, as I never found a key I liked. … and I wanted to do another song if there's time. -- Dick

There is NO WAY the host can post a song by the wonderful Toots & the Maytals without me being forced into having a go. So here it is. ;-)
Reggae Got Soul.

And here's a man who needs no introduction - Bobby . . . Bobby Blue . . . Bobby Blue Bland, ladies and gentlemen, Bobby Blue Bland . . .

(as his MC used to introduce him)

Bobby Bland is great, and I have wanted to do this song for ages. After a couple of run throughs, it fit pretty well. Hope you like it.

Here's one that was played by Ellington and Basie [possibly not together!].
Of course I don't play their arrangements, I have scored it for Uke and Harp. I think the score was probably 2-0 ;^)
It is played here by part of the Will Be band as the drummer was unavailable at the time. The harp video is not quite right as I had little to go on to get the sych right :^(

Satin doll was written by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn in 1953 The words were added by Johnny Mercer some time after it had been an instrumental hit.

I had also hoped to do an Inkspots number, but I think it is too late to try to get that recorded as the technology often conspires against me as it has this week. This 2 minute video is going to take 30 minutes to upload, closed the editing software down 5 times while editing and crashed the PC once while rendering. That is not the worst record for making a video for me.

That preview image of the video is a bit wacky isn't it :^)

Last edited:
My wife and I have been visiting family all week in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, so no clue if anyone's played this great Peter Gabriel song yet.

Thanks to Jessica for camera work on this one.

Don't know why the video posted to my original's channel. I'll have to reload it on the right channel. For now though for your enjoyment and education I present a tutorial of "Henehene Kou 'Aka" from IZ's Facing Future album.

Fast forward to 5:00 if you want to skip the tutorial part :)

Top Bottom