Song Help Request Help with "Handsome Girl" by Danielle Ate The Sandwich

justagirlandheruke

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm new and I was hoping somebody could help me out with this song.
Danielle Ate The Sandwich plays ukulele in most of her songs so I thought I'd try to learn some of them, but I can't find a tab for "Handsome Girl" ANYWHERE. The chords sound really cool and even though I'm a beginner I really want to learn them. The only way you get better is by challenging yourself, right?
Anyway, I think the first two chords are Asus4 and then Amaj, but after that I have no idea.
Here's the video, if that'll help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypokOgg1Gpw

Can anybody help? :confused::eek:

Thanks! -Sophie

I saw Danielle perform at a house show last night and I asked her to do that song. She mostly plays the top two strings and leaves the bottom two open for the most part.

I'll try and get something written out in a few days.

From watching the video and playing along, I think most of the chords are flavors of A. For all of the chords, she always leaves the first and second strings open. The initial progression is played 2200, 2100, 7400, ending on 4400. Then I think she switches things up at some point and goes to Asus4, A, A5, A. These are fingered 2200, 2100, 2400, then back to 2100. I think there's another part to it, perhaps a bridge. I'll rewatch and see if I can piece that together.

Last edited:
I think the chords for bridge are 2600, 4600, 6600, 1600. That constant F# droning on the C string gives it an interesting sound. That's the 6th scale degree in the key of A, which makes for some unusual chords there.

Hope that helps. I'm relatively new to learning by ear and/or sight. The clear view of the fretboard in the video certainly helped.

While I agree with the chords, I hear a high E ringing, that's impossible to be played with her opening chord fingered the way it is in normal tuning. This leads me to wonder if the 2nd string E isn't tuned to or using a thinner string that allows it to be tuned an octave higher.

Best,

Sean

Since my last post, I think I figured the song out. It faked me out with the re-entrant G string. I'm still getting used to it. So here's the intro and verse chords and shapes

4200 2100 7400 4400

The the chorus

4200 2100 2400 2100

Bridge

2600 4600 6600 1600

Enjoy!

Best,

Sean

Last edited:
Top Bottom