Newbie question about slide in and slide out

oolo88

Reaction score
Hi, I am just starting to learn how to play ukulele. I have a question about slide in and slide out.

When you slide in on a note, do you start from the headstock or from the body and slide into the target note? Same question about slide out from a note as well.

Also in general, when people talk about playing up the neck, does "up" mean going toward the headstock or the body?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks

Don't know about slide.

Up the neck is to go to higher pitches, thus toward the uke's body.

You slide from a particular note to the target note. So for instance you start on fret 2 and slide up to fret 4. Same thing for sliding down. This is shown in the picture below.
slide.gif

You can also slide from an open note to a target note, which I think is what the OP was asking about. Sliding in from (or out to) an open note is up to the player, as it's not defined. I usually just start from some general place before the target note.

Sliding in or out from the headstock area toward the body would create a note going higher in pitch, and going from the body toward the headstock would create a note going lower in pitch. So, it depends on what effect you're going for.

You slide from a particular note to the target note. So for instance you start on fret 2 and slide up to fret 4. Same thing for sliding down. This is shown in the picture below.
View attachment 69509
I don't think you are trying to say this, but your explanation and your illustration is saying that "sliding in" and "sliding out" are the same thing. I think the question isn't what is sliding, that is pretty self explanatory. The question, and I am wondering as well, what is meant by "in" and "out"? Everyone is dancing around that one.

Here is a reference that explains it
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-slide-notes-on-your-ukulele.html

So I guess the difference between a slide and "Sliding In / Sliding Out" is that only the target note is specified. You start the "slide in" wherever you want to and end the "Slide Out" wherever you want.

So sliding in means you begin on a note closer to the headstock and move to the target note closer to the body of the uke.
Sliding out means you pluck a note and slide towards the headstock and lift your finger when the mood hits you.

Last edited:
First, can you point me to a reference using the terms "Sliding In" and "Sliding Out"?
The OP brought it up, I just started watching the post to learn something. I'm new to the ukulele, and I've never heard of it before. That is why I was hoping there is an explanation. If there is no such thing, that would be a good answer.

Slide in is slide before the note and slide in is after the note?

"---4" would be a slide "into" 4. "4------" would be a slide "out of" 4.

If that's true I would answer it this way. Assuming that the tab or music does not specify, it's up to you. I find that I am becoming more proficient at smooth slides and am increasingly able to make longer slides sound decent. But initially, slides for me were 1 or 2 frets. Kind of depends on how much space there is in your song and what sounds good. As technique improves you will have more options.

I have been messing around with a Roy Smeck tune which involves sliding chords and that's a new challenge for me. The barred chord goes from the first fret to the seventh. I'll get there. Eventually.

Slide in is slide before the note and slide in is after the note?

"---4" would be a slide "into" 4. "4------" would be a slide "out of" 4.

Slides in and out can go either directions. You can slide out of a note to one before the target not.

In most tabs I've seen, the slide is indicated by either a straight or curved line, the direction of the line/curve indicating a slide up to a note or down from a note.

Here's some more help

http://www.how-to-play-electric-guitar.net/slide-guitar-technique.html

Top Bottom