Blatant, unsolicited, sales threads

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I'm personally getting sick to death of the blatant pimping of gear that goes on here. None of the dealers (Mim, HMS etc) ever post a "give us a call and we'll sell you something" message in response to questions on the forum, so how is it appropriate for some members to forcibly insert their unwelcome and inappropriate sales patter into threads that are nothing more than a "please recommend a <insert item here> for $ 200" thread? It's perfectly fine for a general UU member to say "well, now you mention it, I've got an old XXX that I don't use, which you can have for $200", but some of these are clearly commercial.

This practice should be banned.

I'm personally getting sick to death of the blatant pimping of gear that goes on here. None of the dealers (Mim, HMS etc) ever post a "give us a call and we'll sell you something" message in response to questions on the forum, so how is it appropriate for some members to forcibly insert their unwelcome and inappropriate sales patter into threads that are nothing more than a "please recommend a <insert item here> for $ 200" thread? It's perfectly fine for a general UU member to say "well, now you mention it, I've got an old XXX that I don't use, which you can have for $200", but some of these are clearly commercial.

This practice should be banned.

I have not seen this (that I know of) and sorry if I seem a bit daft, but could you share that thread or post that is an example what you are referring to?

-Booli

I don't particularly want to "name and shame" on here, so I'll refrain from linking to a specific post, if you don't mind. Rest assured, however, that there are a large number of people who know exactly what I'm talking about :)

I don't particularly want to "name and shame" on here, so I'll refrain from linking to a specific post, if you don't mind. Rest assured, however, that there are a large number of people who know exactly what I'm talking about :)

Ok, no problem. Thanks for the reply -- and kudos to you for your discretion :)

-Booli

The thing is, Mike, if you, AndrewK, Mim or most other dealers ever jumped in to a post and made unsolicited sales pitches, there'd be uproar. But then, everyone knows you guys all have way too much class to pull a stunt like that, which makes the odd few who do pimp their wares stand out even more.

Did you send him a PM advising him of your thoughts on the matter?

The person who this primarily refers to is fully aware of the way that I, and many others, feel about the way he conducts his "business" on these forums.

Flag the post if you think it's inappropriate and let the mods decide whether or not to spank.

Flag the post if you think it's inappropriate and let the mods decide whether or not to spank.

Ooo, good answer!

A reply

It seems the original person posting commented about how they used to be able to go somewhere and see different products for sale. I mentioned specifically the I-5 corridor and having a wide selection of ukuleles if anyone was passing through the area. Did I give an address or telephone number? email address? website? Post business hours? I would agree that to be blatant. It was not meant for anyone but someone going north or south on I-5. If you do not travel the area, it has nothing to do with you.

It seems the original person posting commented about how they used to be able to go somewhere and see different products for sale. I mentioned specifically the I-5 corridor and having a wide selection of ukuleles if anyone was passing through the area. Did I give an address or telephone number? email address? website? Post business hours? I would agree that to be blatant. It was not meant for anyone but someone going north or south on I-5. If you do not travel the area, it has nothing to do with you.

I have absolutely no idea what this post even means, or how it relates to a single thing in this thread.

I don't think BK meant you, CC.

Without any examples, I don't know who he meant, but I don't think it was you.

Just hit the panic button , as Teek says, and the mods will decide, BK. I always enjoy your posts: witty and honest.

(You see Taimane?).

Meh. To be honest, I'm only going to see her because it's next door, and I can cross her off the list of "uke players I've seen". She's a fairly impressive player, but as a performer she annoys the crap out of me.

We have a saying in England; "she fancies herself"

Meh. To be honest, I'm only going to see her because it's next door, and I can cross her off the list of "uke players I've seen". She's a fairly impressive player, but as a performer she annoys the crap out of me.

I completely agree. She's very talented and I love her CD, but I have to put another window on top of YouTube if it's a video of her.

I don't think BK meant you, CC.

Without any examples, I don't know who he meant, but I don't think it was you.
Lol. Does anyone know who he means? I'm assuming it'd be some of the spam bots that get squashed by out mods. But I don't spend nearly the amount of time on here that I used to spend.

You might feel differently after seeing her live. Amazingly bright personality, all smiles, super accommodating for photos and talk. Confident, but not arrogant. A gentle spirit. And, unlike many other top ukulele artists, she sings! Lovely voice.

Her vocal hit single, "Don't Worry Baby"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zva-gdL-8eE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RW7KCbwAx8
(This second one is fun to slow down on Youtube and try the four chords of the main riff--knucklebusters, esp. that fourth chord that she hammers on! What's with that?!! 2-3-1-2. My ring finga dont work like dat.)

Last edited:

Sounds pretty sad - to just tick her off the list - especially since she has some things in common with you.

Top Bottom