Song Help Request Hawaiian Singing

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
To our Hawaiian singers: What does one call the type of singing where one jumps up into falsetto territory? It's sort of like yodeling. Both my wife and I really like it. I've found some on You-tube (accompanied by 6 string Ukes mostly), but I'd like to know it's name to find some more.

Last edited:
To our Hawaiian singers: What does one call the type of singing where one jumps up into falsetto territory? It's sort of like yodeling. Both my wife and I really like it. I've found some on You-tube (accompanied by 6 string Ukes mostly), but I'd like to know it's name to find some more.

I've always heard it referred to as Hawaiian falsetto, or just falsetto. But I just found the Hawaiian term for it: leo ki'eki'e. Here's a good place to start for some recordings.

This excerpt is from an article titled Na Leo Hawai`i (http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/hawaii.aspx) . . .
Falsetto Singing
Hawaiian music emphasizes the voice. Many Hawaiian songs feature falsetto, called leo ki'eki'e, a term coined in Hawaiian in 1973. Falsetto singing, most often used by men, extends the singer's range to notes above their ordinary vocal range. The voice makes a characteristic break during the transition from the ordinary vocal register to the falsetto range. In Western falsetto singing, the singer tries to make the transition between registers as smooth as possible. In Hawaiian-style falsetto, the singer emphasizes the break between registers. Sometimes the singer exaggerates the break through repetition, as a yodel. As with other aspects of Hawaiian music, it is probable that falsetto developed from a combination of sources, including pre-European Hawaiian chanting and early Christian hymn singing. Falsetto may have been a natural and comfortable vocal technique for early Hawaiians, since a similar break between registers called ha'iha'i, is used as an ornament in some traditional chanting styles.

There are a lot of YT vids showing performances of Hawaiian artists . . .
Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom
Auntie Geno Keawe
Raiatea Helm
Kuana Torres Kahele
Mark Yamanaka
Hi`ikua

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll check You-tube ASAP and maybe even buy a DVD, if I can find one. My Godmother was Hawaiian and gave me an old Ukulele. It eventually got me started playing.

Well, I looked 'em up on YT and listened a bit. That's just what I wanted, and, for a plus, I learned a bit about slack key. Thanks again.

If I can further help you out, drop me a PM . . . and check out this thread Hawaiian Mele for more Hawaiian songs. Not all are falsetto and links may not be valid. Just haven't had the chance to update.

Well, I looked 'em up on YT and listened a bit. That's just what I wanted, and, for a plus, I learned a bit about slack key. Thanks again.

If you want the singing with slack key guitar and ukulele, look up Ledward Kaapana.

If you want to hear amazing falsetto singing and ukulele, come with me tomorrow night to the Canoe Hut lounge at the Pacific Marina Inn. They come on about 10:30pm.
Also check out Kamakakehau Fernandez and Ata Damasco. Na Palapalai is Kuana Torres Kahele's band, they are awesome too.
If you want to go old school, in my opinion you cannot do any better than Mahi Beamer.

My favorite version of Kalama'ula featuring Emily and Timi Abrigo with Chino Montero.

R.I.P. Uncle Chino

That was great geetee, mahalo for sharing.

I am learning Kawena this weekend.

This excerpt is from an article titled Na Leo Hawai`i (http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/hawaii.aspx) . . .

Here's another excerpt from a site that mentions the influences from Mexico. http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?t=1&PageID=448

The paniolo's other instrument was his voice. Leo ki`eki`e or falsetto singing may have come from the Mexican falsetto tradition of the Vera Cruz area. It also had antecedents in ancient Hawaiian chant. Yodeling - later a popular element in country-western music - made an early appearance in paniolo songs. Church hymns strongly influenced paniolo harmonies.

Thanks, Kanaka916, I'm kinda interested in Hawaiian music. Especially since I took up the ukulele. I had a very good Hawaiian friend in the Air Force. We had a lot of fun together. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom