Vox ukelectric ponderings

LM in Kentucky

Reaction score
Inbetween feeling sorry for myself and pondering why the world has done me so wrong last weekend, I pulled the trigger on a Vox Ukelectric. I don't feel I know enough about ukes to give a 'review' relative to other ukes, so I will just state my observations on my latest acquisition.
It is pearlesceant white in a satin or matte finish. I wasn't expecting that, but much prefer it to thick paint or epoxy type finishes. Very nice.
I feel this has more of a guitar feel than a uke feel. It has some heft and feels reasonably solid. It reminds me of how guitars felt in the 1960's. A chinese product, but not substandard or lacking quality control.
The neck is a chunky one, great for my gnarled sausage fingers. Not too wide across, but a moderate "D" cut cross-section.
What drew me to it other than the iconic teardrop shape was the electric capabilities. One might choose what I call "Busker mode", whereas the little built-in speaker throws some sound out of the front, or you can plug into a dedicated amp and scratch and chunk some Rolling Stones covers. As a guitar player, these features really appeal to me. The 9v speaker sound is not fabulous, it sounds like a muffled AM radio, but I really didn't expect it to sound like a Bose system. It's still very useable and turning it down a little adds some clarity and a more useable tone for practice. For me, these options open up a few opportunities to use the uke in a band situation.
So, there you have it ~ Just a nice uke that I feel one should consider if looking for electric or something for an ensemble situation.
Comes with a great padded gig bag too . . .
If you made it this far, thanks for taking time for reading this!

vox-ukelectric-33-concert-white.jpg

Regards,
LM in KY

Thanks for the review. What about some video or sound?

I've been interested in one of these, glad to know they're not a gimmick per se. They just look really cool and the speaker-for-a-sound-hole concept got me intrigued.

Is it concert or soprano scale?

Top Bottom