Another "Which should I buy?" thread.

DaveNash

Reaction score
Hello all! So, I know that if I search "best ukulele" or "which ukulele should I buy" etc. I will get a lot of information, so please excuse me for posting such a cliche question- But new models may have come out, new members might have new opinions to offer, and someone might have advice more tailored to my specifics, so I figured I'd ask what seem like a bunch of friendly folk anyway!

First I'll give you a little background. If you want to answer my questions, but don't want to read through a lot of blubber, skip the next few paragraphs. :)

I bought my first uke 3 weeks ago second hand. A Luna Tattoo Concert in good shape with original strings. I've been playing guitar VERY casually for years- and have NEVER had fun like I am having with this little gift from the gods! I can already tell I'm going to be enjoying this for a long time, and am already set to dive a little further in to get something a bit nicer, and with a pickup. I live on a small island in the West Indies, so there is no music store of any kind, and I'm going to have to order whatever I get through the internet without being able to test it first and then pay a high shipping cost- so you understand why I'm hoping to get very reliable information. I've got a handful of questions, but I'll try to make this as succinct as possible.

Q1. A tenor uke will have a slightly more bassy and louder tone than my concert, right? I do a LOT of singing with my uke, and have a powerful voice. I have to struggle not to drown out this little concert durring some songs. Being that the scale is longer, am I right in thinking it will also have slightly larger frets to accomidate my fat fingers? I'm thinking a tenor might be easier to play, and come through a bit better..?

Q2. What should I get, and equally as important, where should I get it from? I'm not a rich man, and am going to have to pay a good bit ontop of purchase price for shipping/insurance, so I'm trying to stay less than $500USD. The further below that mark the better. It must be electric/acoustic, and it must be something I can buy brand-new with confidence that it will arrive with good intonation, unwarped, no fret buzz etc. I'd also be THRILLED if it could take a full strap, but I have made a "leash" for my current uke and can settle for that again if need be. I've heard mostly good things about Luna's higher end stuff as far as bang for the buck..?

Q3. Based on the above answers, which strings should I order to set myself up for the best experience?

So, to sum up, if you would be so kind:
1. Should I get a Tenor, or stick with a concert?
2. Which uke(s) specifically would you recommend based on my needs for dealer rep and electric conections?
3. What strings should I get for said uke?

Thanks in advance for the help I'll undoubtedly get!

-=Nash=-

Since you've noodled on guitar before a tenor shouldn't be a problem.

If you need something durable you may want to look into a tenor fluke from fleamarket music. The fluke body is very resonant and loud but not especially bright. A tenor flea would have the durability and be brighter (although I think the neck is too long for that body).

The flea/fluke can be a love/hate thing but for consistency and quality they are a safe purchase. You can call them up directly and ask what they have for 'b stock' and even ask their suggestions. Customer service is excellent.

Last edited:
I had not yet come across the Fluke series! Thank you so much- I think this is exactly what I am looking for! I'm a big fan of things that are a bit "different", and these fit the bill perfectly! Matter of fact, I play Ovation guitars, and this seems like the uke comparison in construction and unique styling- since I've read mostly bad reviews about the Applause ukes that seem to be impossible to find anyway.

I'm still open for more suggestions though!

1) Tenor or Concert? Tough decision, really matter of preference. Go for the sound you like.
2) I would recommend Hawaiian Musical Supply (HMS). They have a great selection of ukes and they set up the ukes before shipping them out. Can't go wrong with them.
3) Strings... also a matter of preference! Aquila, Worth, Southcoast, Oasis, Living waters, Daddario, Koolau...plenty more I forgot.

Whether you choose concert of tenor, there are many uke choices.... next you might worry about what type of wood combination! I don't keep track of ukulele much, but can't go wrong with an entry Pono from HMS.

You've already had several good replies, but I want to give you a different angle. Size matters. A concert uke will travel a little easier because it is about 2 inches shorter than a tenor. Since you want to plug in and play amplified the tenor volume is less important. Most important to me, YMMV, is that a concert scale uke is just that much closer to the island sound. I use Martin M600 strings on my concert Flea. Volume is not an issue.

There are lots of good sounding and sturdy ukuleles on the market. You've hit sweet spot with your price. Allow about a hundred bucks for shipping and a few accessories. Hawaii Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) is a great resource and will give you great advice by phone or email.

My first uke was a Luna Tattoo Concert. It was really boomy and emphasized the lower tones of the uke. You'll be surprised at the difference in tone your new ukulele will have.

Enjoy the hunt!

Many people have good experience with KPK solid acacia and mahogany ukuleles. Mainland ukuleles will have several good choices in your price range. Check out Mim's Ukes too. Setup is almost as important as the ukulele itself. HMS, Mainland, and Mim are good for set ups and customer service.

Full disclosure: I haven't any interest in any of these outfits. I have purchased from HMS.

Many people have good experience with KPK solid acacia and mahogany ukuleles. Mainland ukuleles will have several good choices in your price range. Check out Mim's Ukes too. Setup is almost as important as the ukulele itself. HMS, Mainland, and Mim are good for set ups and customer service.

Full disclosure: I haven't any interest in any of these outfits. I have purchased from HMS.

And Uke Republic.

HMS and get a set up since you can't get it done later due to lack of music shop. If you're happy with the tone from the concert I would stick with it and just get an electric like you stated. I think you lose some of the sweetness sometimes when playing too hard to get a loud sound. This is where the amp will help you get your sweet tones from gentle playing and a higher volume.

Regarding tenor vs concert: as another former guitarist, I do find the tenor size more comfortable to play. Don't expect it to necessarily be louder though. The volume of the instrument has more to do with its construction than size. My concert Pono with gloss finish is notably louder than my Mainland matte tenor - both solid mahogany with Martin strings. The Mainland isn't quiet, but the Pono is quite loud. It's also worth noting the Pono was fairly quiet when I first got it - almost disappointingly so - but has "opened up" since then and gotten a lot louder a year or two later. For the $500 price range, look into Pono - I've been very happy with mine. For strings, I'd start with what it ships with and change them if you're not happy.

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies- and so quickly too! I've been researching all of your suggestions, and a few other I came across all day. I have become sold on the Fluke! I have been using and Ovation guitar for years, and can testify to the amount of abuse molded bodies can shrug off, and that's a pretty good selling point! I'm also thrilled with the "different" look to them. I emailed the folks at fluke with a few queries, and was amazed how quick and helpful the response was on a Sunday evening!

I am going to stick with a concert as suggested to try to keep more of the "ukulele sound", as well as to increase portability. I'm ordering Fluorocarbons per their and other's suggestions in both high and low G. I have a feeling low G will be fun to sing to, but I expect it won't sound "ukey" enough, and I'll end up putting the high G on. Quick question, if I take the low G off, and didn't cut the string too short, there's no reason I can't roll it up and keep it around for a rainy day right?

Thanks again for all the resources you guys provided me! I was stoked to play the ukulele, but not I'm stoked to be part of such a great community too!

if I take the low G off, and didn't cut the string too short, there's no reason I can't roll it up and keep it around for a rainy day right?
No reason at all

+1 on the fluke, especially living on the islands where the humidity and heat can be an issue. The fluke is super tough and you don't have to worry about playing it on the beach. :)

Top Bottom