Alternate fingering for G7?

Simplexity

Reaction score
Hi, I've been playing the ukulele for about 2 months but there's one thing that makes it difficult for me. On my left hand (obviously the one that fingers the chords), my fingers lock when trying to do certain chords. Its a minor medical inconvenience that can't be force away without surgery, but when playing the uke it makes a couple fingerings difficult. Luckily I use my thumb and smart fingerings to play chords such as G, D, and E7. (Pictures below)

I also recently found a nice way to finger Em using "http://www.ukulele-chords.com/#" but their G7 chord alt fingerings just sound wrong (and one of them is just D7)

So I ask you ukulele pros to help me be able to play more songs (the one I have in mind with G7 is Hey Jude, I have everything down except the parts where it has G7 :D )!

If you have no idea what I can or cannot do- pretty much if I have to move my ring, middle, and pointer finger at the same time my fingers lock up (they just stop moving and horribly overcorrect without my ability to do anything about it). So any two in combination can work, just not all three. And I can't use my pinkey at all.

Personal chord fingerings-
G-
0803142255.jpg

D-
0803142255a.jpg

E7-
0803142255b.jpg

(ukulele-chord.com's Em)-
Em,360.png

Thank you so much if you can help, it means a ton! ^.^
~Simplexity

Can you do a bar like 7778 or 10 11 10 10?

0575 might be a good alternative as well. Similar to your G shape, bar the 5th fret with index finger and maybe use the ring finger 2 frets further up instead of the index 1 fret up

Thumb C string 2nd fret, index E string 1st fret, middle finger A string 2nd fret. Mute or don't play G string. This doesn't include the root G note, but sometimes that can actually be preferable.

Alternatively, thumb C string 5th fret, index E string third fret, middle or ring finger A string 5th fret. Again, mute or don't play the G string. A little more awkward but still doable. This is known as the Hawaiian G7 and will give you the root note G.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a G6 or a Gmaj7 instead of the G7 yet? They're close to both a G and a G7. They will sound a little... off... in Hey Jude, but you should be able to compensate for the difference with your voice.

I also recently found a nice way to finger Em using "http://www.ukulele-chords.com/#" but their G7 chord alt fingerings just sound wrong (and one of them is just D7)

One of them isn't D7. The "6" on the right indicates the 6th fret. So it's like D7 but at the seventh fret instead of the second. That could be what you're missing with the others too.

Aside from that, possible substitutes are G, G6, G9 (Bm7b5 ) and G13, or, if it's a piece in C minor then G7b9, G+ and G+7 but definitely NOT Gmaj7 in any circumstances.

You can also try the "Hawaiian G7" which is 0202 instead of the standard 0212.

You can also try the "Hawaiian G7" which is 0202 instead of the standard 0212.
0202 is gdeb which is either Em7 or G6. I don't see how that qualifies as G7 in Hawaii or anywhere else. Sure, it might substitute OK depending on context, but 6, 7, and maj7 all give very distinct "colors" on top of a major triad, so I'd be more skeptical about that "working" in general.

0202 is gdeb which is either Em7 or G6. I don't see how that qualifies as G7 in Hawaii or anywhere else. Sure, it might substitute OK depending on context, but 6, 7, and maj7 all give very distinct "colors" on top of a major triad, so I'd be more skeptical about that "working" in general.
It was kind of tongue in cheek Jim!
When Hawaiians are jamming ukulele, lots of times G=G, then there is "da oddah G" = G7. Sometimes they play it 0202. Sometimes they sub it for regular G too!
When I play Opihi Man, the main song is G to D7 and back to G - but I play the D7 as 2020 and the G as 0202. I am not suggesting it is actually G or G7, just that it may be substituted and will sometimes give an island-y feel to the tune.

For other Hawaiian songs that call for G7, I may substitute 0202 or sometimes even a G9 4210 to give it a different flavor.

'Sall good. If it works, cool. Em7 as a sub for G makes total sense (relative minor of a major), as a sub for G7 less so, but as you say, it can work.

Top Bottom