::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading an article about cultural appropriation during Halloween. It was complaining about people dressing like Indians, sugar skulls, geisha, etc. What do you think about that?

People are ridiculous. That's what I think.

I was reading an article about cultural appropriation during Halloween. It was complaining about people dressing like Indians, sugar skulls, geisha, etc. What do you think about that?

I think some people take themselves way too seriously. It's a Halloween costume, for Pete's sake....

I think some people take themselves way too seriously. It's a Halloween costume, for Pete's sake....

I think it's a little of both. In most cases people need to lighten up, but some people carry things too far or are definitely insensitive to those around them.

I would never dress up as "Gay" and run around because no matter how you want to look at it, you're mocking people. If I saw someone dressed as an "asian" which again would be playing up the stereotypes I would take it as offensive. On the other hand "Geisha" wouldn't be offensive to me.

We argued this in a college class one time and the conversation quickly turned to "white privilege" and became a much bigger discussion.

I think it's a little of both. In most cases people need to lighten up, but some people carry things too far or are definitely insensitive to those around them.

I would never dress up as "Gay" and run around because no matter how you want to look at it, you're mocking people. If I saw someone dressed as an "asian" which again would be playing up the stereotypes I would take it as offensive. On the other hand "Geisha" wouldn't be offensive to me.

We argued this in a college class one time and the conversation quickly turned to "white privilege" and became a much bigger discussion.

My family has a fairly recent tradition that is practiced every Thanksgiving. All the adults gather on the back deck with drinks and nerf guns, the kids all dress up as Indians with war paint and load onto a hay wagon pulled by my brother in law. He pulls the kids back and forth near the deck and everybody shoots at each other in a huge nerf gun war.
I don't even want to think about how many ways that can be described as messed up.

My family has a fairly recent tradition that is practiced every Thanksgiving. All the adults gather on the back deck with drinks and nerf guns, the kids all dress up as Indians with war paint and load onto a hay wagon pulled by my brother in law. He pulls the kids back and forth near the deck and everybody shoots at each other in a huge nerf gun war.
I don't even want to think about how many ways that can be described as messed up.

But that's at your house. You're not re-enacting that in the middle of town.

Sounds fun too!

Never mind - you know now. Get some and be sure to video the results for us!

I was thinking to make a plug in the pumpkin and then use a welding torch to fill it with oxy-acetyline (sp?), insert a fuse, replace the plug, light, run like hell.

Seriously wanting to take my uke on the TOTing run tonight - we go to a party where all the kids and parents meet up, climb in a hay-filled wagon type tying and get pulled around the neighborhoods. But it is going to be cold tonight. Butt cold. Like, real winter for us Alabamians. And it may even rain or "mist". Dare I take one of my babies out in that mess? Perhaps I should grab the blue one and see if the strings are any good at all.

I was thinking to make a plug in the pumpkin and then use a welding torch to fill it with oxy-acetyline (sp?), insert a fuse, replace the plug, light, run like hell.

Now, that sounds like an Alabama Halloween for sure.

Seriously wanting to take my uke on the TOTing run tonight - we go to a party where all the kids and parents meet up, climb in a hay-filled wagon type tying and get pulled around the neighborhoods. But it is going to be cold tonight. Butt cold. Like, real winter for us Alabamians. And it may even rain or "mist". Dare I take one of my babies out in that mess? Perhaps I should grab the blue one and see if the strings are any good at all.

Do you mean to tell me it's going all the way down to SIXTY?! How ever will folks survive? :D

Our church used to do a full-on Parents vs. Kids Nerf war once a year. Our (former) youth director would put together a scenario usually involving the rescue of downed pilots or something. The parents would be the enemies and take positions in machine gun nests and sniper hides and things like that. Two years in a row I was assigned a belt-fed Nerf machine gun. Parents always came in costume - I wore camo pants, a sleeveless black t-shirt, black balaclava and my black nerd glasses. I had friends draw tattoos on my shoulders - my favorite said, "Mama never loved me".

The pastor always came in all black, down to the blackout makeup. He would hide in the deepest, darkest corner and jump out at the kids...

It was a riot. The only rule at the end was that the kids would eventually achieve their goal - it was our job to make it hell on them.

I love garys outfit!!

attachment.php

We are gonna do a family of Sugar skulls when the kids get older with the makeup for it! It will be epic!!!!

People are ridiculous. That's what I think.

Yep. You think I offended any hippies today?

I remember in junior high going over to my GF's house. She said she had costumes for both of us. I got there, she put both of us in black face and our hair in a bunch of little braids and we wore baby doll pajamas. We were going as black babies. It was 1972, I think. I was like 11. I had no idea that was offensive because back then it wasn't.

Of course that memory makes me shudder now, but yeah, overall, peeps take the PC crap way too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom