::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
[CENTER]Heart of Gold
Neil Young[/CENTER]

Riff:
[C] [C] [stop] [C] [C] [stop] [C] [Cmaj7] [C6] [G]

INTRO
[Em] [D] [Em] [D]

[Em] I want to [C] live, [D] I want to [G] give
[Em] I've been a [C] miner for a [D] heart of [G] gold
[Em] It's these ex [C] pressions [D] I never [G] give
[Em] That keep me searching for a [G] heart of [D] gold

Riff
And I'm getting old

[Em] Keep me searching for a [G] heart of [D] gold

Riff
And I'm getting old

[Em] I've been to [C] Hollywood, [D] I've been to [G] Redwood
[Em] I've crossed the [C] ocean for a [D] heart of [G] gold
[Em] I've been in [C] my mind, [D] it's such a [G] fine line
[Em] That keeps me searching for a [G] heart of [D] gold

Riff
And I'm getting old

[Em] Keep me searching for a [D] heart of [Em] gold
You [Em] keep me searching and I'm [D] growing [Em] old
[Em] Keep me searching for a [D] heart of [Em] gold
[Em] I've been a miner for a [G] heart of [D] gold

Riff x2

I think the riff-
Riff:
[C] [C] [stop] [C] [C] [stop] [C] [Cmaj7] [C6] [G]

-goes, 1 2 Stop 1 2 Stop 1 2 3 4?

In songs like this one, where an Em chord comes right after a G chord, I like to just hold the G chord and add my pinky on the C string at the fourth fret to complete the Em. The C string will also still be fretted at the second fret by my index finger, but that just gets "cancelled out". It just seems to make a smoother transition, rather than repositioning all of my other fingers....

Yes...and yes.

I see that from both sides of your question in my business quite a bit. Some are just assholes, others are just stupid. And sometimes, they're a combination of the two. Those are a blast to deal with.

Mark Twain said, "Everybody's a damned fool fifteen minutes a day." Obviously some people are exceeding their quota. I believe that there is too much free-floating assholia in this world.

Got to say something postive about my workplace...

A few years ago, administration in their infinite wisdom, bought us '5.11 Light For Life' flashlights. In theory, they were an awesome concept. Instead of batteries they used big capacitors that could go from no charge to a full charge in 90 seconds. The capacitors lasted about 2 hours per charge, which was more than enough than we needed on midnights. Even if they didn't, charge them for 90 seconds *voila* new charge.

The capacitors (sp?) were supposed to last for 50,000 charges, and the LED light bulbs were supposed to last for 50 years or more, so in concept, this light should never have to be replaced in my lifetime (get it-- 'Light For Life'). All that went great for about 2 months. There were problems with switches where the light wouldn't turn off, problems with the charger in the light where it wouldn't charge the capacitor, etc. and so forth. Anyway, that was all good, because the company would replace them ad infinitum...or so they said. After one year, they announced they were no longer making the light, and would honor the program with another light with regular rechargable batteries. BUT, they would not replace batteries on the new ones once they went out. Of course, this was the biggest cost of the light. So we received the replacements, with no intention of keeping them in service for very long.

This is where the good part comes in...they bought us rechargable LED Mag Lights to replace those. The best in the business. They have high beam, low beam and strobe depending on how many times you click the switch. They're metal, not plastic like the others we had. AND they're made in the good old US of A in Ontario, California, out of US supplied parts. These lights have stood the test of time, and although the batteries will have to be replaced, the rest of the light is guaranteed for life, and they send them out without question if a replacement is needed.

I was shocked. I couldn't believe that a government entity made an intelligent decision. Then again, our new boss is different than anybody I've worked for. He's smart, he's nice and he's fair. He won't last long here. He'll get promoted in a hurry.

Glad they got something right. But the best thing about your job is a flashlight? That's sad, Jelly, real sad.

We know that C6 and Am7 in the first position are played the same? (0000)
C6 = C E G and A. The A is the Six. The C E G is the C major chord.
Am7 = A C E and G. The G is the seventh. The A C E is the A minor chord.
Same four notes in a different order.

I could talk more about this stuff, but I don't know if I'm coming off as redundant or maybe pretentious.
Just trying to share information for free.

Oh, it's pretentious alright. But I always tried to sit next to the smart guy in the room. It doesn't bother me and someday I may even start to pay attention. Keep it coming.

In songs like this one, where an Em chord comes right after a G chord, I like to just hold the G chord and add my pinky on the C string at the fourth fret to complete the Em. The C string will also still be fretted at the second fret by my index finger, but that just gets "cancelled out". It just seems to make a smoother transition, rather than repositioning all of my other fingers....

That's the way to do it.

When I have a C to Em transition I'll fret the A string at both 2 & 3. That way I'm already anchored and can just shift the middle and ring fingers. Otherwise, landing an Em is like something out of the blue. Heaven only knows where I'm liable to end up.

All the messing around I do I seldom use this method. But it's good to know. It makes you more versatile.
Em is (4432) actually in the first position. Then it's moveable. Of course (0402) and (0432) works just fine also.
(0432) for Em is perfect if you are going to B7 (4320) next. You just jump back and forth with the same shape.

With that I'm caught up and can wish a happy day to all the good folks of PoHonia.

PoHovia? PoHoville? PoHonistan?

That's the way to do it.

When I have a C to Em transition I'll fret the A string at both 2 & 3. That way I'm already anchored and can just shift the middle and ring fingers. Otherwise, landing an Em is like something out of the blue. Heaven only knows where I'm liable to end up.

That's a great tip, thanks! I hadn't thought of that one yet....

That's the way to do it.

Practice makes for better. Even the pros goof up every so often.

All the messing around I do I seldom use this method. But it's good to know. It makes you more versatile.
Em is (4432) actually in the first position. Then it's moveable. Of course (0402) and (0432) works just fine also.
(0432) for Em is perfect if you are going to B7 (4320) next. You just jump back and forth with the same shape.

I know about, and often use, the (0432) shape for Em to transition to B7, (4320). Like you said, then you can just jump back and forth between the two. I did not know about Em actually being (4432) in the first position, or that this could be a movable shape. This is good information....

Rob, please stop worrying about your posts on music theory! I know I enjoy them, and I'm sure others do, too. Some of them are a bit over my head, yet, but others of them really help me to understand. This post, for example, was very helpful, and well presented. Keep on doing what you do so well, and don't feel the need to apologize for it....

:agree: the more you post, the better chance I have of one day actually getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom