::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'd want to see a 12 hour movie about.....anything. :)

They were our captives. This was before the internet and computer gaming. Besides, when you go on retreat when it's raining and the popcorn is where the vcr is they tend to hang around. Can't do it anymore, of course. Too many "this is lame" posts on Facebook.

Well this has been a very informative catch up.

We used to show kids a 12 hour movie about the life of Jesus. Olivia Hussey was Mary the mother of Jesus. Great gene pool if you ask me.

TWELVE HOURS? I can read the entire New Testament in less than 12 hours.

Do you remember the lady that I knit with at the senior center that lost the hat I made her? I made her a new one, just like it, right before I went to Florida. She was thrilled with it.

So thrilled, in fact, that she got me something in return. She is also one of the folks that has been teaching me to play dominoes after knitting group on Wednesdays. When we met to play last week, she presented me with a really nice set of double-twelve dominoes in a hinged aluminum case. Man, was I surprised!

Chicken Foot, anyone? ;)

Uke group tomorrow night! Yay! We'll be practicing our list of songs for our "gig" on Saturday afternoon at a local senior living center.

The songs were picked in the hopes they would appeal to folks in their 80s and up. I haven't run through them, yet, but I hope they are easy enough that we can do a decent job with them on short notice.

I enjoy these things....

Do you remember the lady that I knit with at the senior center that lost the hat I made her? I made her a new one, just like it, right before I went to Florida. She was thrilled with it.

So thrilled, in fact, that she got me something in return. She is also one of the folks that has been teaching me to play dominoes after knitting group on Wednesdays. When we met to play last week, she presented me with a really nice set of double-twelve dominoes in a hinged aluminum case. Man, was I surprised!

Chicken Foot, anyone? ;)

Mexican Train.

Uke group tomorrow night! Yay! We'll be practicing our list of songs for our "gig" on Saturday afternoon at a local senior living center.

The songs were picked in the hopes they would appeal to folks in their 80s and up. I haven't run through them, yet, but I hope they are easy enough that we can do a decent job with them on short notice.

I enjoy these things....

Here's the list of songs, all of which come from the two Daily Ukulele books:

Yellow 17 Ain't We Got Fun
Yellow 31 Baby Face
Yellow 40 Buffalo Gals
Yellow 64 Deep in the Heart of Texas
Yellow 133 It's Only a Paper Moon
Yellow 177 Oh What a Beautiful Morning
Yellow 183 On the Sunny Side of the Street
Yellow 192 Que Sera Sera
Yellow 229 That's Amore
Yellow 267 When the Saints Go Marching In
Yellow 288 When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
Blue 85 Don't Fence Me In
Blue 181 I'm Looking Over a 4 Leaf Clover
Yellow 95 Good Night Ladies

Chicken Foot, anyone? ;)

That is very nice that she got you a dominoes set! Very thoughtful, since she has been teaching you how to play.

I've been considering going to a knitting group on Mondays. It is $10 for 2 hours, each week, and it includes instruction (which I need). All I know how to knit are dish rags... squares... It's about 45 minutes away, but it's really not a big deal.

That is very nice that she got you a dominoes set! Very thoughtful, since she has been teaching you how to play.

I've been considering going to a knitting group on Mondays. It is $10 for 2 hours, each week, and it includes instruction (which I need). All I know how to knit are dish rags... squares... It's about 45 minutes away, but it's really not a big deal.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't pay to join a knitting group. I go every week for free, and we accept, and instruct, newcomers. Tomorrow evening I'll be attending another group, in another nearby town, that will be meeting once a month. It's free, too.

Come on over! I'll have you knitting hats in no time....;)

I've played both, and, so far I prefer Chicken Foot. Have you ever tried that one, Sally?

I guess part of the reason I prefer Chicken Foot to Mexican Train is the way I was taught. Two of the ladies I was playing with couldn't agree on the rules for Mexican Train. They were constantly bickering about the "correct" way to play, and the session got a little tense.

Everyone seemed to agree about the rules for Chicken Foot, though....

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't pay to join a knitting group. I go every week for free, and we accept, and instruct, newcomers. Tomorrow evening I'll be attending another group, in another nearby town, that will be meeting once a month. It's free, too.

Come on over! I'll have you knitting hats in no time....;)

It's a class...but from the way I understand it, there are more than just the students that join. I think the experienced knitters teach the newbies.

It's a class...but from the way I understand it, there are more than just the students that join. I think the experienced knitters teach the newbies.

You take whatever project you want, that you are currently working on. OR you can pick a project and yarn, there.

You take whatever project you want, that you are currently working on. OR you can pick a project and yarn, there.

Speaking of current projects....

attachment.php

001.jpg

Here's the list of songs, all of which come from the two Daily Ukulele books:

Yellow 17 Ain't We Got Fun
Yellow 31 Baby Face
Yellow 40 Buffalo Gals
Yellow 64 Deep in the Heart of Texas
Yellow 133 It's Only a Paper Moon
Yellow 177 Oh What a Beautiful Morning
Yellow 183 On the Sunny Side of the Street
Yellow 192 Que Sera Sera
Yellow 229 That's Amore
Yellow 267 When the Saints Go Marching In
Yellow 288 When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
Blue 85 Don't Fence Me In
Blue 181 I'm Looking Over a 4 Leaf Clover
Yellow 95 Good Night Ladies

Not too bad of a list.
However....my mother in-law is 87. We were talking about music groups that play at her over-55 building. She got disgusted by the last group because they played music pre-1940s. She said she would have left, but she was sitting in front and didn't want to be rude. I asked her what she would like. She said big band, Frank Sinatra. 60s pop.
My group plays old sh*t at our gigs. Drives me nuts. Old people today were not listening to early 1900s stuff. A person born in 1920 would be 95 years old. (Did I do my math correctly?).
I work with and for old people. They aren't as old as everybody thinks they are. And I lose the "discussion" with my group every time. But I see a couple on your list I think would be good additions for us.

I wouldn't pay. Knitting groups and knitting classes are different. I'm not sure what you can learn in 2 hours that you don't already know if you can knit dish cloths. They are the same stitches, just different shapes.

Not too bad of a list.
However....my mother in-law is 87. We were talking about music groups that play at her over-55 building. She got disgusted by the last group because they played music pre-1940s. She said she would have left, but she was sitting in front and didn't want to be rude. I asked her what she would like. She said big band, Frank Sinatra. 60s pop.
My group plays old sh*t at our gigs. Drives me nuts. Old people today were not listening to early 1900s stuff. A person born in 1920 would be 95 years old. (Did I do my math correctly?).
I work with and for old people. They aren't as old as everybody thinks they are. And I lose the "discussion" with my group every time. But I see a couple on your list I think would be good additions for us.

Old people loved Creep and Tractor when I played them.

Not too bad of a list.

I may be wrong, but I think people identify the most with the music of their youth. For me, that would be the music of the '60s, mostly, although I enjoy stuff from before and after that, also. I think folks in their 80s would probably identify most with music from the '30s and '40s.

I lobbied to include "Side by Side" on the song list, but it didn't happen. I guess I just really like the song. I'm also big on wanting songs for these "gigs" that we can play well. Our group has lots of beginners, and anything past a three or four chord song throws them for a loop. That's okay at our monthly meetings, and it helps them stretch. But, when we play in public I want us to sound good....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom