::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
QOTD: Ever had a brush with fame?

I once gave Johnny Cougar Mellencamp a flyer for Otter Fest, we were at the same Mexican restaurant (he didn't come, and didn't read it, the jerk).

I really should have mentioned hanging out with Toots Hibbard as well. We paid him to play down in the field one year, he had a good time. Several years later he told some guy who was writing a book about him that it was one of his favorite gigs. His manager wouldn't let him try my moonshine.

Huey Lewis came to church once in Marin; his kid was in the Christmas pageant. Michelle Phillips was a guest at a wedding I did there. I told her she helped me make it through puberty. Still was hot in her 50s.

He used to play harmonica at an open mic at a restaurant I worked at in high school. He talked the owner into letting his band play and I'll never forget the end of their set "I'm Huey Lewis and you just heard the news!"

I have been searching for an image of a mural that I remember from the 80's. It was a giant Pluto (Disney) with a paintbrush painted on the side of a huge factory building, if you looked at it right you could see it spelled SEX, it was painted over after a couple of years.

One time when I was a kid my family took a trip to Nashville, Tennessee and visited the Country Music Hall of Fame. As we were walking on the sidewalk, the great Ernest Tubb crossed the street toward us in his flashy stage outfit. He was kind and gracious - a little surprised that such a young kid knew "I'm Walkin' The Floor Over You." Turns out he was on his way to a photo op at the HoF with a few other legends.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What is your favorite movie and why?

Pulp Fiction. Its non-linear storytelling, hilarious dialogue, stylized violence, edge-of-your-seat tension, and surf music soundtrack blew my mind.

Also, Uma.
KO9qbwUu.gif

Last edited:
The only Van Hagar song I liked was Finish What You Started. Eddie had clearly been listening to Little Feat.

I once gave Johnny Cougar Mellencamp a flyer for Otter Fest, we were at the same Mexican restaurant (he didn't come, and didn't read it, the jerk).

I worked my way through college as an usher at a (legitimate) theater, which gave me a few brushes. The most notable was when they gave an award to Jimmy Stewart (yeah, I'm old). We were instructed to stay away from Mr. Stewart, who attended with his wife and what appeared to be a bodyguard, and that approaching him would be cause for firing. I decided that I'd have a lot of job, but probably only one chance to meet Jimmy Stewart, so I approached him when his party was alone in the theater, and chatted with him for a minute and got his autograph. He was as sweet and gracious as you might expect. That autograph is one of my prized possessions, and not only did I not get fired, I worked there for several more years.

Similarly, while in college, my theater group was rehearsing in one of the small theaters in the complex while a gala was going on honoring Grace Kelly, with many assorted luminaries attending. We hung out backstage and gaped at Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, and Princess Grace herself (with Princess Caroline) milled about. An extremely well-dressed older lady, obviously bored by the proceedings, sat and watched our rehearsal and chatted with us about our acting aspirations. We didn't know who she was, but it was actress Celeste Holm.

While working onsite at NBC (then owned by my client, GE), I accidentally wandered onto Conan O'Brien's empty Late Night set. I resisted the urge to sit in his chair for fear of being fired. After that, I rode down in an elevator with Jon Stewart and his agent, he having just appeared on Rosie O'Donnell. He's really, really small.

I shook Gerald Ford's hand at a rally.

When I was in B'nai Brith Youth (Jewish youth group), we gave an award to gameshow host Monty Hall for basically being a famous Jewish guy, and he came to accept it.

OK, anyone remember who B. J. Thomas is?

Code:
[CENTER]Hooked on a Feeling
B. J. Thomas[/CENTER]

[C] I can't stop this [Cmaj7] feeling [C7] deep inside of [F] me
[Fm] Girl you just don't [C] realize what you [G7] do to me

When you [C] hold me in your [C+] arms so tight
You let me [Am/C] know every [C7*] thing's alright
[F]I I I [G] I, I’m hooked on a [C] feeling [G7]
High on be[F]lieving [G7]
That you're in [C] love with [Em] me [F] [G7]

[C] Lips are sweet as [Cmaj7] candy
The [C7] taste stays on my [F] mind
[Fm] Girl you keep me [C] thirsty for a [G7] nother cup of wine

I [C] got it bad for [Cmaj7] you girl
But [C7] I don't need no [F] cure
[Fm] I'll just stay ad[C]dicted and hope I [G7] can endure

All the [C] good love when we're [C+] all alone
Keep it [Am/C] up girl yeah you [C7*] turn me on

Instrumental: [C] [Cmaj7] [C7] [F] [Fm] [C] [G7]

All the [C] good love when we're [C+] all alone
Keep it [Am/C] up girl yeah you [C7*] turn me on

That you're in [C] love with [Em] me [F] [G7] [C]

[Cmaj7] = (0002)
[C+] = (1003)
[Am/C] = (2003)
[C7*] = (3003)

OK, on the [C], [Cmaj7] and [C7] run, You're just moving your finger towards the nut on the A string.
On the [C+ (aug)], [Am/C] and [C7*], you hold the C note on the A string and first fret the G string (C+ or aug), then slide to the second fret of the G string (Am/C), and finally to the third fret of the G string for the (C7*).
Just heard this song again recently - it is in Guardians of the Galaxy. What fun!

The two were never seen at the same place and same time. Coincidence? I think not....

I heard Tim Gunn (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, On the Runway) interviewed . His father was in the FBI and was J Edgar Hoover's chief assistant. One day his dad took him to the office because Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy) was going to visit the office. Tim met Vivian, but J Edgar was no where to be found. Years later his staff checked the visitor log. There was no record of Vivian Vance ever visiting FBI Headquarters.

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/05/271997689/tim-gunn-on-and-off-the-runway-life-is-a-big-collaboration

I heard Tim Gunn (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, On the Runway) interviewed . His father was in the FBI and was J Edgar Hoover's chief assistant. One day his dad took him to the office because Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy) was going to visit the office. Tim met Vivian, but J Edgar was no where to be found. Years later his staff checked the visitor log. There was no record of Vivian Vance ever visiting FBI Headquarters.

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/05/271997689/tim-gunn-on-and-off-the-runway-life-is-a-big-collaboration

So Vivian Lance was really J Edgar Hoover! That blows my mind!

Quite a few, actually!
When I was an infant we lived in Bel Air next door to Jerry Lewis and across the street from Sonny and Cher. My older brother played with Jerry's kids (could NOT resist!).
Then when we moved to Newport Beach, we lived near John Wayne and Joey Bishop. We went on John Wayne's yacht, the Wild Goose, a few times. Also, we were really good friends with Bobby and Joy Hatfield, I went to elementary school with Kalin and Bobby Jr. Bobby Hatfield is one half of the Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling).
Then we had a good friend of the family that was a Hollywood costume designer. He worked on the Wonder Woman TV series with Lynda Carter. His roommate was the guy who played Leo in Grease. So there were lots of celebs at his house at parties, met lots of folks. Linda Blair had a crush on my brother hahahha.
Oh, so this guy also worked on a lot of "B" movies, so my brother and I got a few parts. My brother was in Evil Dead and The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood. I was in Gas Pump Girls.

Quite a few, actually!
When I was an infant we lived in Bel Air next door to Jerry Lewis and across the street from Sonny and Cher. My older brother played with Jerry's kids (could NOT resist!).
Then when we moved to Newport Beach, we lived near John Wayne and Joey Bishop. We went on John Wayne's yacht, the Wild Goose, a few times. Also, we were really good friends with Bobby and Joy Hatfield, I went to elementary school with Kalin and Bobby Jr. Bobby Hatfield is one half of the Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling).
Then we had a good friend of the family that was a Hollywood costume designer. He worked on the Wonder Woman TV series with Lynda Carter. His roommate was the guy who played Leo in Grease. So there were lots of celebs at his house at parties, met lots of folks. Linda Blair had a crush on my brother hahahha.
Oh, so this guy also worked on a lot of "B" movies, so my brother and I got a few parts. My brother was in Evil Dead and The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood. I was in Gas Pump Girls.

That's cool.

I was an extra in Starman. They filmed part of it at Los Gatos high school's track. In the movie you can see the back of my head, all the rest of the scenes got edited out. Didn't meet anybody famous that day, it was all extras. Jeff Bridges was the star.

Yesterday the temperature got up to 80 degrees here....almost unheard of for mid-October. The TV weatherman said the last time we had it that warm on yesterday's date was 80 years ago....

Why have I not heard of this before now? This was just the subject of a question on Jeopardy. It's called a croque madame sandwich; essentially a grilled ham and cheese sandwich served with a fried egg on top. I NEED one of these, and preferably soon....

attachment.php

croque madame.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom