::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is funny, because when I look at those two pictures, I think the traditional one is attractive and peaceful looking, and the tree is the monstrosity.

I am looking at it from size. The turbines are really large, and one is OK, but a whole bunch, while fine out in the middle of nowhere, is kind of a drag to see on the drive to North Shore. There are a few valleys here that are not that accessible that could have a bunch of those tree-style ones nestled in there and be pretty much invisible - that is what I mean. On Maui, there was one GIANT turbine for years and that seemed OK to me. Once they put in hundreds going from the valley floor all the way up the mountain it kind of looked icky. The mountains here are so lush and have such great natural beauty it is kind of a drag when that gets obstructed.

Squeaky cheese! And the production line is mesmerizing. We saw a packaging machine go berserk once - it was awesome. Cheese and plastic packages everywhere before they got it shut down. On the other hand...it made me sad to see all that cheese go into the garbage...

Hopefully they feed it back to the cows.

Last edited:
it is funny, because when I look at those two pictures, I think the traditional one is attractive and peaceful looking, and the tree is the monstrosity.

Yeah, like those cellular trees. They make palm tree ones out here. They ain't fooling anyone.

Okay, that was a K! Have we really gotten so blasé that we don't even notice them anymore?

Yeah, like those cellular trees. They make palm tree ones out here. They ain't fooling anyone.

I still think they look better than cell towers. The pine tree ones are even less noticeable. There are a few up and down the 405. There was a pine tree cell tower on Bushard or Newland that was hardly noticeable. There are a few palm tree cell towers here, but they are pretty thrashed by the wind and sun, the fronds are all weathered away.

I have a week off work right after my birthday. I'm thinking of flying to vegas.

What would you recommend for someone who has never been to vegas, doesn't care for gambling or drinking, but just want to see sights? I would be interested in seeing some type of show as well? I doubt that Todd would be able to get more than a couple days off work, though.

Last edited:
GoFundMe kills me sometimes. I know someone who has been begging for money on GoFundMe for over a year, and the reason always changes. First she needed a new laptop because she wanted to go to college, then she said it was for medical bills and to help her start a beading business, then it was just medical bills, then it was for this...then it was for that.

She started it the day after her dad's GoFundMe closed after raising like 50k to save his house. He claimed to be running a non profit out of it (which is bull, I know the family and it was just a sympathy tactic) and it got local news coverage.

Anyway, I just don't understand it. Then again there are people making billions of dollars playing video games on youtube.

It's a strange world we live in.

I just finished reading a fascinating book for a class. It compares the current world order (focusing on the US and our economy) to the Roman empire. The comparisons were sobering, though in some ways socially we're even more backward than the Roman empire was. It left me feeling disturbed and just...wrong...

I am looking at it from size. The turbines are really large, and one is OK, but a whole bunch, while fine out in the middle of nowhere, is kind of a drag to see on the drive to North Shore. There are a few valleys here that are not that accessible that could have a bunch of those tree-style ones nestled in there and be pretty much invisible - that is what I mean. On Maui, there was one GIANT turbine for years and that seemed OK to me. Once they put in hundreds going from the valley floor all the way up the mountain it kind of looked icky. The mountains here are so lush and have such great natural beauty it is kind of a drag when that gets obstructed.

Well...as long as we continue to consume and grow and develop we will need more energy. There are limited sources of non-renewable energy, but harvesting the renewable energy requires an infrastructure to do it. I am interested in wave-action turbines - but what would be the response if there was 100 of them offshore?

If we're not going to figure out how to reduce our consumption (we could all take lessons from Chuck Moore) then we'll just need to put up with the things that will generate the energy we need, pretty or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom