::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't feel like a grown up. I still call myself a girl. Responsibility? When I got married, really. I learned I was responsible to someone else, not just me.

I've been trying to mow the lawn today, but I guess it just isn't meant to be. It's cold and windy, for one thing, but I bundled up and set out to do the job. I got about 1/3 of the job done before it began to rain. I tried to keep going while it was just misting, but soon it started raining harder and I had to quit.

A couple of hours went by, and the rain had stopped, so I bundled up again and set out to finish what I had started. I got somewhat less than another 1/3 done, and noticed that the mower was occasionally scalping the grass. That shouldn't be able to happen, so I shut it down to investigate. The deck height lever was properly set, and the four steel bars from which the deck hangs were all properly attached to the tractor. I didn't find anything wrong, so I started out again.

Before long I could see that I had a problem because the mower deck wasn't tracking properly with the tractor. It was moving side to side, and twisting in a way that it just shouldn't. I shut it down again, and reinvestigated. This time I found the trouble. The steel bars from which the deck hang are connected to a heavy bracket on each side which is welded to the top side of the deck. The welds had held, but the steel of the mower deck had fatigued around the bracket to the point of structural failure. The bracket is hanging from the bars, and there is a big hole in the deck where it is supposed to be attached.

No more mowing for me today. And, now I get to see if I can still weld well enough to fix this thing....

The whole man or guy? thing is weird. I think it follows some kind of bell curve. Sometime between 16 and 40 we have to "man up." We play the part. We do stupid things because we think it's what a man should do. After a while we see the damage we're doing to self and others. It stops being rewarding.

Things that seem perfectly reasonable, at a certain mile marker on the road of life, seem to have been a folly much farther along the journey.

I usually say that you need to learn a few lessons in order to discover how much you still need to learn.

Hopefully the learning experience continues all the way to our final destination.

That's kinda heavy... someone needs to tell a fart joke?

I've been trying to mow the lawn today, but I guess it just isn't meant to be. It's cold and windy, for one thing, but I bundled up and set out to do the job. I got about 1/3 of the job done before it began to rain. I tried to keep going while it was just misting, but soon it started raining harder and I had to quit.

A couple of hours went by, and the rain had stopped, so I bundled up again and set out to finish what I had started. I got somewhat less than another 1/3 done, and noticed that the mower was occasionally scalping the grass. That shouldn't be able to happen, so I shut it down to investigate. The deck height lever was properly set, and the four steel bars from which the deck hangs were all properly attached to the tractor. I didn't find anything wrong, so I started out again.

Before long I could see that I had a problem because the mower deck wasn't tracking properly with the tractor. It was moving side to side, and twisting in a way that it just shouldn't. I shut it down again, and reinvestigated. This time I found the trouble. The steel bars from which the deck hang are connected to a heavy bracket on each side which is welded to the top side of the deck. The welds had held, but the steel of the mower deck had fatigued around the bracket to the point of structural failure. The bracket is hanging from the bars, and there is a big hole in the deck where it is supposed to be attached.

No more mowing for me today. And, now I get to see if I can still weld well enough to fix this thing....

Boo!!!

I hope you're able to fix it without problems.

dirty+snow+rosanne.jpg

Watching "Fed Up"

Eye opening and explains why I have such a hard time maintaining blood sugar and losing weight. It also exposes a lot of the duplicity of those in power to control food and diet regulations.

My class is pissed and feels like they've been lied to their whole life . . . and they have.

Thinking about assigning a project where they plan my meals according to what they research about diabetes, added sugar and processed foods.

Boo!!!

I hope you're able to fix it without problems.

Strikes me as a problem to worry about tomorrow. I don't feel like messing with it today. Besides, I need to go buy more argon gas for my MIG welder, and maybe batteries for my welding helmet. It's been a while....

Watching "Fed Up"

Eye opening and explains why I have such a hard time maintaining blood sugar and losing weight. It also exposes a lot of the duplicity of those in power to control food and diet regulations.

My class is pissed and feels like they've been lied to their whole life . . . and they have.

Thinking about assigning a project where they plan my meals according to what they research about diabetes, added sugar and processed foods.
I saw an article where a teacher had his kids watch Super Size Me and then they made him a menu of just McD for X amount of time and the guy lost weight.

Good critical thinking skills.

Watching "Fed Up"

Great project. And what a great way to learn...will Mr. Yoshida do it? Will it work? How long until he has results, yada, yada, yada.

Watching "Fed Up"

Did you know doctors take the same number of nutrition classes as nurses, just one.

Watching "Fed Up"

This assignment sounds like a win/win.

I saw an article where a teacher had his kids watch Super Size Me and then they made him a menu of just McD for X amount of time and the guy lost weight.

Good critical thinking skills.

I read that.

The students kept his meals within the nutritional guidelines and he also stuck to an exercise regimen.

The image I ended up with on the new computer had 2010. Updating to 2013 now. As well as getting my admin tools all reinstalled. Grr.
Admin tool reinstall sucks!
Especially after you get them all set up just perfectly and tuned over the years.

Food? We make most of the food we eat.
I feel that for the most part we eat well, probably have a bit too much in the portion department, and probably have more treats (cupcakes, cookies, muffins etc. that Nanilei bakes) than we need, but I think the main reason I personally have not lost much weight is my lack of consistent exercise. I still weigh less than I did when I moved here, and with all the delicious fatty, sugary, and starchy foods available here I consider that a HUGE win.

Tonight? Nanilei made a bunch of fresh salsa. We are going to have turkey soft tacos. The only items in tonight's dinner we did not make ourselves will be the tortillas and the chips. Yeah, I know the chips are not that good for me, I will try to limit them.

Oh, and the chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting that she made for dessert is probably not that diet-friendly either.

Living the dream! :D

The whole man thing? Well, I never became a father. I think that would likely have cemented it for me. I do feel manly at times when I realize that I am the one who takes care of the bills and stuff like that. Sometimes I look in the mirror and say, "Holy Crap! When did THAT happen!" and there is this man with grey hair staring back at me. But I pretty much feel the same inside my head, perhaps less prone to do foolish things.

I'm getting close to ordering a set of Gotoh UPT tuners for my Eastwood prototype concert. I've saved the cost of the tuners, now just a few more bucks for postage....

I'm getting close to ordering a set of Gotoh UPT tuners for my Eastwood prototype concert. I've saved the cost of the tuners, now just a few more bucks for postage....

Once the tuners are switched out, I'll start saving for a new case for it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom