::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're good people, but they speak very little English and I speak zero Japanese.

It's a lot of smiles and nods.

After a year of owning both, I finally plugged my CR into an AC-33 amp. I also have a dual pedal for the looper so I thought maybe I'd mess around with learning to solo (I only know the C scale for now) :)

Glad you did that. I think I will do the same. It has been awhile since I used mine. Great fun. You need to add a mic too. That amp really makes vocals fun with the adjustments you can make.

Life was much better when I was not on the same continent as my in-laws. Now we live on the same road. Ugh.

I always said I wasn't going to be one of those guys who couldn't get along with his in-laws. Unfortunately,they were not in on that original agreement.

I always said I wasn't going to be one of those guys who couldn't get along with his in-laws. Unfortunately,they were not in on that original agreement.

I don't know if this helps, but many times you out live them. So you can then, become the next generation's problem.

I got along well with all of my parents-in-law....both sets. Elaine's parents I liked very much; I couldn't have asked for better. My ex's folks were okay, and I got along with them alright. I preferred him to her, though....

I had fun at the jam session this morning. We had a newcomer, a lady who brought an acoustic bass guitar and a twelve string. She plays well, and sings great high harmony. Her musical taste tends toward church songs, though, most of which I don't know. The other guys seemed to know most of them.

I think the group's unofficial leader, Bill, is finally starting to understand that I can't just play songs off the top of my head. I have found that, even on songs I've played and sung hundreds of times, I need the song sheet in front of me. If we play something I have a song sheet for, I can play right along and keep up. If there is no song sheet, I'm lost.

Telling me what key the song is in doesn't help me. They are all way ahead of me in that respect.

Today we had two six string guitar players, a dobro player, the lady with the bass, and Bill and I on ukes. Oh, and the lady sometimes played the recorder. She plays it well, and I think it sounded good, but it was wreaking havoc with my hearing aids. I had no idea a recorder could be so loud! She'd play certain notes and both of my hearing aids would feed back in my ears. That's a painful proposition when the speakers are mere millimeters from your eardrums.

I led a John Denver tune (by request), and it went over well. I need to sift through all of my song sheets to find songs I think the group will like. Virtually everything they play is pre-Beatles....mostly from the 40's and 50's....and very heavy on cowboy songs. That's fine, but I just don't have much in my collection that fits that bill. Some stuff they like is a little later, like Johnny Cash, for example. Like I said, I need to search through my stuff.

One of the guitar players (another Bill) uses song sheets for all the songs he leads. He has them in a loose-leaf notebook, which he props up in front of himself. He always sits with his back to a corner of the room, so I can't see his sheets. Today I explained to him that I'd be able to play along if he'd let me sit either next to him or behind him, where I could see his notebook. That would be a big help, although he often plays in the keys of E and A. The key of A shouldn't be a problem for me, but the key of E might be. He was very receptive to changing his seating arrangement so that I could read along with him. We'll see how that works out in the future....

I had fun at the jam session this morning. We had a newcomer, a lady who brought an acoustic bass guitar and a twelve string. She plays well, and sings great high harmony. Her musical taste tends toward church songs, though, most of which I don't know. The other guys seemed to know most of them.

I think the group's unofficial leader, Bill, is finally starting to understand that I can't just play songs off the top of my head. I have found that, even on songs I've played and sung hundreds of times, I need the song sheet in front of me. If we play something I have a song sheet for, I can play right along and keep up. If there is no song sheet, I'm lost.

Telling me what key the song is in doesn't help me. They are all way ahead of me in that respect.

Today we had two six string guitar players, a dobro player, the lady with the bass, and Bill and I on ukes. Oh, and the lady sometimes played the recorder. She plays it well, and I think it sounded good, but it was wreaking havoc with my hearing aids. I had no idea a recorder could be so loud! She'd play certain notes and both of my hearing aids would feed back in my ears. That's a painful proposition when the speakers are mere millimeters from your eardrums.

I led a John Denver tune (by request), and it went over well. I need to sift through all of my song sheets to find songs I think the group will like. Virtually everything they play is pre-Beatles....mostly from the 40's and 50's....and very heavy on cowboy songs. That's fine, but I just don't have much in my collection that fits that bill. Some stuff they like is a little later, like Johnny Cash, for example. Like I said, I need to search through my stuff.

One of the guitar players (another Bill) uses song sheets for all the songs he leads. He has them in a loose-leaf notebook, which he props up in front of himself. He always sits with his back to a corner of the room, so I can't see his sheets. Today I explained to him that I'd be able to play along if he'd let me sit either next to him or behind him, where I could see his notebook. That would be a big help, although he often plays in the keys of E and A. The key of A shouldn't be a problem for me, but the key of E might be. He was very receptive to changing his seating arrangement so that I could read along with him. We'll see how that works out in the future....

You were speaking of the key of E. It seems like you said before that you liked to make the E chord by barring the fourth fret and placing a finger on thene seventh fret of the A string. If they are playing simple progressions for E then you are in position to play the E chord (4447), next could be the C#m (6444), then A chord (6454), then slide that whole shape up two frets for a B chord (8676). That progression is akin to C, Am, F and G. 1, 6, 4, 5.

You were speaking of the key of E. It seems like you said before that you liked to make the E chord by barring the fourth fret and placing a finger on thene seventh fret of the A string. If they are playing simple progressions for E then you are in position to play the E chord (4447), next could be the C#m (6444), then A chord (6454), then slide that whole shape up two frets for a B chord (8676). That progression is akin to C, Am, F and G. 1, 6, 4, 5.

I'm looking forward to trying this tomorrow! Thanks, Rob....

Don maybe you can write down the songs they play that you don't know, and print out sheets for the next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom