::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just keep thinking that if you told someone 500 years ago that there where invisible forces in the air that could pass through solid objects, some were good and some were bad, they'd burn you at the stake, but now every kid knows about radio waves and radiation.
and time is a subject unto itself for sure.
Yup!
The change in understanding from 1514 to 2014 of the world is pretty incredible.
Yet, also think about all they had done by 1514, the great explorers venturing out from Europe to Asia, the Americas, and beyond...
Not to mention the Vikings before them...
Not to mention the Polynesians before them (or just after depending on who you believe)...
Basically in my opinion there is not much separating the risk and adventure of any of those expeditions to the Apollo missions.
In fact, I would say the Apollo missions in some ways may have been even less risky, because at least they knew EXACTLY where they were going.

I wonder if Chuck Moore's ukuleles will be like Stradivarius violins in 500 years?

I remember being in a Cognitive Psychology class when we learned that frogs basically see dots and edges. Edges tell them which surfaces they can jump onto safely, and dots are food.

And I thought, "they're surrounded by things they cannot physically perceive."
And then I thought, "perhaps we are, too."
And then I went, "Whoa!"

And I hadn't been smoking anything.

I asked Rick Turner which uke he has made sounds the best, and he kind of gave me the same answer as that ariticle.

"The one that sounds best to YOU."

I'll tell you what though. I've watched Rick tap test a soundboard and then layout the bracing basically in the same pattern he uses, but he adjusts WHERE he places the braces. I've seen him do this each and every time I've been to his shop if he's working on the soundboard. In watching videos of other builders, I haven't seen them "tune" for the wood's characteristics the same way. They have a pattern and they place it in the same position for every soundboard they do.

When I asked him about it he said "Think about the performance aspect of tires on a car. They basically all do the same thing, but to get the best performance out of the tires it's important to know what you want them to do, what vehicle will be used, and how the driver drives. I try to brace for the optimum response and performance for that particular soundboard whether it be sustain, quick response, volume or optimum tone."

There are probably only a handful of builders who think the way Rick does.

Still a fanboy! :)

Not hating on Chuck, I think he's one of the best of the best but if I were going to pay that much for an uke, I would go with one of these instead: http://devineguitars.com/prices-devine-guitars-ukuleles-from-hawaii.html

Just my opinion.

Already bought the one I want, but in that fantasy world where I could afford it I would get in this order:

1. DeVine
2. Moore Bettah
3. Vento (not even close in expense but the three I've heard sound amazing)

YOU do not have a FB account. You and Elaine SHARE a FB account. And if she's starting to use it there's no way any of us would be welcome as Facebook friends, with our ukulele antics and dirty mouths.

Sad, but true. My name is on the account, but other than that, it's hers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom