::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear it, but they probably won't do anything to her. I've been the victim of an old lady driver (hit and run) and the cops didn't want to arrest her because she was old. I got pissed and yelled at the cop that she could be senile or drunk (old people get drunk too) and kill someone. Nothing happened to her, if the roles were reversed I woud have been in huge trouble.

I have had two elder driver related incidents. The first one was a lady who just took off from a stop sign right in front of me as I was traveling about 40 MPH. The street I was on did not have a stop sign, I guess she thought I was going to stop. She was 82. Cops came, and as they were talking to her she pointed at me and said, "But HE hit ME!" and the cop pointed at the 60+ feet of black skid marks and said, "He had no stop sign, and he did try to stop..." Her insurance covered the whole thing. The insurance person let it slip that she was probably going to be uninsurable going forward.

The other time was at the dentist, a lady reversed out of her spot and hit my Dakota. She tried to drive away, but our bumpers had become interlocked. I called AAA to get a tow truck to separate us, and AAA called the cops. Her insurance covered that, seeing as I was not even in the car at the time.

The trouble is that I know some people, like my mom, who is 79 and drives just fine. I know some other people in their 40s that have no business driving. Seriously.

It is a tough thing, but I do believe that we can get some type of rule that says once you get past a certain age, you need to demonstrate proficiency. I think I would put up with the inconvenience if I could maintain my driving privilege longer. Perhaps it could even be a AAA thing where you can take the proficiency exam at AAA and they can forward results to the DMV or something, you could pay AAA to provide the service and that way not burden the state gov't with additional expenses. Look at me, full of ideas today!

I am having so much fun getting Sheryl Christmas gifts this year! I have just had tons of ideas I know she will love (at different times I've heard her say, "I love that" when referring to the items in question... Ben is easy this year, too, with his fountain pen mania. I have acquired a vintage Parker Vacumatic fountain pen for him that I will have restored before Christmas - he is going to go nutso over it.

The girls...not quite as easy - fortunately Sheryl will mostly take care of them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom