::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random question for you Gary...

The holiday is here and the cops are out in force to catch drunk drivers.

When was the last time you drove, what you consider, intoxicated? For me, it was back in '94.

I'm not proud that I ever did it either. I'm just glad I never hurt anybody in the process.

Random question for you Gary...

The holiday is here and the cops are out in force to catch drunk drivers.

When was the last time you drove, what you consider, intoxicated? For me, it was back in '94.

Probably 2000 or so. Former student was bar tending at a restaurant, did shots with her and then drove to where my buddy was bar tending, he sent me home in a cab

I have never felt more exactly my age than yesterday. Dad and I went toe to toe. I'm glad I am fully an adult and able to stand my ground and set boundaries these days.

I didn't go 'toe-to-toe' with my dad until earlier this year.

Fifteen years ago, he gave me a rifle that was owned by my great-grandfather on the condition I get it restored to new condition. I did that. This past spring, out of nowhere, he told me he wanted it back.

Well, I took it back, and I asked him why he wanted it. He told me that he wasn't thinking straight when he gave it to me, and had regretted it ever since. I then told him what I thought. The rifle was the only thing from his family that I've ever considered a 'birthrite', so to speak, and after giving it to me, asking for it back was simply wrong, especially after all this time. He got angry, and told me how it was his first, and he should be able to have it if he wanted it.

I said that yep, you can have it, but at least try to learn a little history about it like I had. I told him how it was made in 1907, and was likely bought 2nd hand by his grandfather, or given to him by his dad, since his grandpa Webb was only 9 when it was made. Then I told him I needed to leave before I said some things that I might regret later. As I was walking away, he walked after me asking me what I had to say. I didn't take the bait and kept going, got in my truck and left.

Two weeks later, I was grocery shopping one morning after work, and my phone rang. It was dad. He told me how he was bringing the gun back to me because he had nothing but bad luck since it came back to him. He had hit an electric poll with a dump truck one day, and another day he got stuck in the mud and had to get towed out. I told him to keep it with my blessing, because at this point, I really didn't want it. I would associate it with bad memories and hard feelings for now. I did ask him to put it in his will that it get left to me, if he so desired, when he passes. Other than that, I wanted him to have it for the rest of his life.

I didn't go 'toe-to-toe' with my dad until earlier this year.

Fifteen years ago, he gave me a rifle that was owned by my great-grandfather on the condition I get it restored to new condition. I did that. This past spring, out of nowhere, he told me he wanted it back.

Well, I took it back, and I asked him why he wanted it. He told me that he wasn't thinking straight when he gave it to me, and had regretted it ever since. I then told him what I thought. The rifle was the only thing from his family that I've ever considered a 'birthrite', so to speak, and after giving it to me, asking for it back was simply wrong, especially after all this time. He got angry, and told me how it was his first, and he should be able to have it if he wanted it.

I said that yep, you can have it, but at least try to learn a little history about it like I had. I told him how it was made in 1907, and was likely bought 2nd hand by his grandfather, or given to him by his dad, since his grandpa Webb was only 9 when it was made. Then I told him I needed to leave before I said some things that I might regret later. As I was walking away, he walked after me asking me what I had to say. I didn't take the bait and kept going, got in my truck and left.

Two weeks later, I was grocery shopping one morning after work, and my phone rang. It was dad. He told me how he was bringing the gun back to me because he had nothing but bad luck since it came back to him. He had hit an electric poll with a dump truck one day, and another day he got stuck in the mud and had to get towed out. I told him to keep it with my blessing, because at this point, I really didn't want it. I would associate it with bad memories and hard feelings for now. I did ask him to put it in his will that it get left to me, if he so desired, when he passes. Other than that, I wanted him to have it for the rest of his life.

Before my grandmother passed away she gave power of attorney to my aunt who promptly gave many of my grandfathers possessions to her son. My dad was understandably pissed. (My other aunt and my dad haven't spoken to her since). While golfing my dad casually mentioned that the main things he wanted were a shotgun and some old fly rods that he could pass down to me.

"Was it a Winchester 50 12gauge and three Orvis rods that were signed by Bill Orvis?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Grandpa gave them to me when he was sick, a few months before he died."

My dad started laughing.

I've had the gun and fishing poles for over 25 years now. I was the last Yoshida and Grandpa wanted to make sure they stayed with me. I guess they go to James now.

Dad's still pissed at my aunt.

Before my grandmother passed away she gave power of attorney to my aunt who promptly gave many of my grandfathers possessions to her son. My dad was understandably pissed. (My other aunt and my dad haven't spoken to her since). While golfing my dad casually mentioned that the main things he wanted were a shotgun and some old fly rods that he could pass down to me.

"Was it a Winchester 50 12gauge and three Orvis rods that were signed by Bill Orvis?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Grandpa gave them to me when he was sick, a few months before he died."

My dad started laughing.

I've had the gun and fishing poles for over 25 years now. I was the last Yoshida and Grandpa wanted to make sure they stayed with me. I guess they go to James now.

Dad's still pissed at my aunt.

That's awesome!

That is funny. I bet my kids have never seen manual locks and windows either. Probably some pickups still have them. I miss having a pickup. When you don't have one it seems like you always need one for something. It is amazing what I have been able to fit in my Honda Fit, but I really like pick up trucks.

I miss my old pickup too, it's just not practical to replace it right now. Once the kids are gone, I will most likely get another one.

Trying to decide what we want to do for our vacations next year. I know in July we are heading to Destin FL for 2 weeks. I usually get a week in April or early May, and then one in late August or early September.

For the earlier one, we've thinking of maybe heading to Niagra Falls. It's somewhere I've wanted to go all my life. Then for the later one, maybe go to Pennsylvania, somewhere close to Hershey, to tour the factory. I've heard there's a lot of other places fairly close in that area that are nice attractions. I'm hoping maybe Ken and his family can bring their RV and we can camp together. I would hope Tammy and the male could drop in as well, and we could do that PoHo meetup I was thinking about.
Take a look at the Wisconsin Dells

Code:
[CENTER]Tiptoe Through the Tulips[/CENTER]

[C] [A7] [Dm] [G7] X2

[C] Tiptoe [A7] by the [Dm] window
[G7] By the [C] window
[E7] That is [F] where I'll [Fm] be
Come [C] tiptoe [A7] through the [Dm] tulips
[G7] With [C] me [A7] [Dm] [G7]

[C] Tiptoe [A7] from your [Dm] pillow
[G7] To the [C] shadow [E7]
Of the [F] willow [Fm] tree
And [C] tiptoe [A7] through the [Dm] tulips
[G7] With [C] me [C7]

[Dm7] Knee deep in [Em] flow[Cdim]ers [G7] we'll [A7] stray
[B7] We'll keep the [Em] show[Cdim]ers a[G7]way

[A7] And [D7] if [G7] I...

[C] Kissed you [A7] in the [Dm] garden
[G7] In the [C] moonlight [E7]
Would you [F] pardon [Fm] me?
[G7] With [C] me

[G7] With [C] me [C7] [F] [Fm] 

[C] [A7] [Dm] [G7] X2
[C] [G] [C]

This is how I do it.
The last bit is an ending. nothing original I'm afraid. I do -
[C] four beats (1 2 and 3 and 4) then pause for one beat, then [G] one beat, then [C] one beat.

[Dm7] = (2213)
[Cdim] = (2323)

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What is your earliest distinct memory?

Mine is taking shelter in our basement during a big tornado. 1980, so I was 4.

I have a very distinct memory of taking a reading evaluation before my first day of Kindergarten. I read every word perfectly except "tongue," which I pronounced "TON-goo."

I have a very distinct memory of taking a reading evaluation before my first day of Kindergarten. I read every word perfectly except "tongue," which I pronounced "TON-goo."

That is how it's spelled isn't it. Tung would be better?

I miss my old pickup too, it's just not practical to replace it right now. Once the kids are gone, I will most likely get another one.

That's why I bought the Ridgeline. It drives like a car, four door with SUV like space in the back, plus a truck bed and trunk. If you're hauling dirt or something similar the payload is the same as Toyota or Nissan truck because the sidewalks are high. If you need a long truck bed, you best look elsewhere although the do sell an extended gate that stands a littl farther than the tailgate when it's down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom