::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I hear the doorbell ring twice?

sspostman81.jpg

I had given up on the guy who is interested in buying one of my VWs....again. Now he has called, and wants to bring someone to see the car....again. They'll be here at 1 this afternoon.

I'm sick of dealing with this guy, but I want to make this sale. I'm going to tell them when they arrive that I only have an hour. The guy has a habit of staying for hours on end. Hopefully, this will be the visit that convinces him to pull the trigger.

He's been here about five times already, and this is the second potential repairman he's brought with him. I think I probably have 30 hours invested in talking to this guy about my car.

That would be a nice Christmas treat, if he were to actually give me the money....

Reference The Postman Always Rings Twice:

A 1934 crime novel by James M. Cain.

The title is something of a non sequitur, in that nowhere in the novel does a postman appear, nor is one even alluded to. The title's meaning has therefore often been the subject of speculation.

Historian Judith Flanders, however, has interpreted the title as a reference postal customs in the Victorian era. When mail (post) was delivered, the postman knocked once to let the householders know it was there: they did not need to reply. When there was a telegram, however, which had to be handed over personally, he knocked twice, so that the household would know they needed to answer the door. Telegrams were expensive, and were usually the bringers of bad news: so a postman knocking (later, ringing) twice signaled trouble was on the way.

I had given up on the guy who is interested in buying one of my VWs....again. Now he has called, and wants to bring someone to see the car....again. They'll be here at 1 this afternoon.

I'm sick of dealing with this guy, but I want to make this sale. I'm going to tell them when they arrive that I only have an hour. The guy has a habit of staying for hours on end. Hopefully, this will be the visit that convinces him to pull the trigger.

He's been here about five times already, and this is the second potential repairman he's brought with him. I think I probably have 30 hours invested in talking to this guy about my car.

That would be a nice Christmas treat, if he were to actually give me the money....

Put the pressure on and tell him someone else is coming to look also...

Reference The Postman Always Rings Twice:

A 1934 crime novel by James M. Cain.

The title is something of a non sequitur, in that nowhere in the novel does a postman appear, nor is one even alluded to. The title's meaning has therefore often been the subject of speculation.

Historian Judith Flanders, however, has interpreted the title as a reference postal customs in the Victorian era. When mail (post) was delivered, the postman knocked once to let the householders know it was there: they did not need to reply. When there was a telegram, however, which had to be handed over personally, he knocked twice, so that the household would know they needed to answer the door. Telegrams were expensive, and were usually the bringers of bad news: so a postman knocking (later, ringing) twice signaled trouble was on the way.

I'm guessing my wife would agree with this part....;)

Are you all ready for Christmas, Rob? Shopping all done? I think I'm finally finished.

Is Santa going to leave you a new uke under the tree?

I haven't done anything. Which is nice for me. Sometimes, I think I'm Santa all year long.

Pulling a crazy today. 15k again at terminal

After my wife finishes hair I go to work. Deliver 60 stops...come home shower and hopefully get to cater by 4....

Not necessarily...
Asking about how many are left in the store is more reliable. But unless your hands are on it, there is no guarantee you will get what you want.

I meant to get the clerk to actually check. I think Don was implying that she just put the phone down and then told him they had them without really checking. I've seen workers do that while I'm at the register.

I meant to get the clerk to actually check. I think Don was implying that she just put the phone down and then told him they had them without really checking. I've seen workers do that while I'm at the register.

This is what I think happened, although I'll never know for sure.

Not getting the item was the least of it. It was the waste of my time, gasoline, and effort that pi$$ed me off.

That, plus I hated that I was so excited about thinking I had actually found the gift for Elaine, only to be disappointed when I got there....

Code:
For Whom the Bell Tolls 
from a poem by John Donne. 

No man is an island, 
Entire of itself. 
Each is a piece of the continent, 
A part of the main. 
If a clod be washed away by the sea, 
Europe is the less. 
As well as if a promontory were. 
As well as if a manner of thine own 
Or of thine friend's were.