::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think they look better than cell towers. The pine tree ones are even less noticeable. There are a few up and down the 405. There was a pine tree cell tower on Bushard or Newland that was hardly noticeable. There are a few palm tree cell towers here, but they are pretty thrashed by the wind and sun, the fronds are all weathered away.

You can take the Californian out of California...but you can't take the California out of the Californian.

I have a week off work right after my birthday. I'm thinking of flying to vegas.

What would you recommend for someone who has never been to vegas, doesn't care for gambling or drinking, but just want to see sights? I would be interested in seeing some type of show as well? I doubt that Todd would be able to get more than a couple days off work, though.

I really enjoy a weekend of people watching in Vegas - but that's about all I can handle. The Mirage has a cool dolphin/wild animal exhibit. The MGM has lions in the entry way - if you get there at feeding time it's fun to watch them eat. The Fremont Street experience is interesting. I enjoy just touring through the hotels and seeing how they interpret their themes.

Last time we were there we stayed at the Signature at MGM Grand - three towers just off-strip that are non-smoking and non-gambling. They are quiet and pleasant and were a wonderful escape from the lights and noise when we were feeling overwhelmed. They're connected to the main MGM Grand by an indoor walkway. I was also asked to participate in a TV focus group - they gave me $75 for doing so. Since we didn't gamble more than a few nickels we were able to pay for a nice dinner...

Any PoHo's photography buffs?

I'm looking to get a new Nikon and the main feature I'm looking for is to be able to freeze action in the crappy lighting of high school gymnasiums. I already own a few f/2.8 lenses so I'm looking for a camera body that will let me utilize those lenses in poor lighting.

Craig already gave me a recommendation and I also reached out to Colin but haven't heard back yet (I only emailed him last night) but I would love to hear more opinions.

Thanks hos

Register with the Nikon website. They have a store tab. They often sell refurbs at good discount.

You can take the Californian out of California...but you can't take the California out of the Californian.

Sukie and Mim got a huge kick out of listening to myself, Nick and Sally talking about getting somewhere.

It was kind of funny.

I still think they look better than cell towers. The pine tree ones are even less noticeable. There are a few up and down the 405. There was a pine tree cell tower on Bushard or Newland that was hardly noticeable. There are a few palm tree cell towers here, but they are pretty thrashed by the wind and sun, the fronds are all weathered away.

I think that I shall never see
a cell tower as pretty as a tree.

Okay, that was a K! Have we really gotten so blasé that we don't even notice them anymore?

I was catching up and read right through it with out even realizing.

It was quite a while after the fact though.

I saw it coming in my catchup. I was surprised that no one seemed to see it coming. But then there were a few conversations going on that were more important than the K-run. IMHO

[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/350669[/video]

I've posted this many times before - but I never fail to hear Sally and Mike discussing how I should get back to my hotel in Pasadena (and later in the week the Disneyland hotel). I never could convince Sally that my GPS might be able to figure out how to get me back to the hotels.

(And the one time I decided to follow Sally's directions instead of the GPS I ended up on Harbor Blvd for an eternity - drove about twice the distance and time as the GPS had me go when we went TO her house.)

Well...as long as we continue to consume and grow and develop we will need more energy. There are limited sources of non-renewable energy, but harvesting the renewable energy requires an infrastructure to do it. I am interested in wave-action turbines - but what would be the response if there was 100 of them offshore?

If we're not going to figure out how to reduce our consumption (we could all take lessons from Chuck Moore) then we'll just need to put up with the things that will generate the energy we need, pretty or not.
I hear you, but what I am getting at is that the existing electrical power plants already have concrete tubes going out into the ocean that they use for the cooling/condenser loops. They could put them there, with no additional environmental impact. Electric Beach is one of my favorite dive spots, and we "play" in the jet that is the exhaust from that tube.
There are also some beaches that are very rocky bottoms and/or on military restricted land - could put them there without impacting the tourist industry. Also, they are not really visible, not like a 300 foot tall turbine. I think it needs to be explored again. The other nice thing is that it does not change the temperature of the water or use any fuel or pumps or anything, it's basically a man-made lava tube blowhole, something we already have plenty of around the islands.

I've posted this many times before - but I never fail to hear Sally and Mike discussing how I should get back to my hotel in Pasadena (and later in the week the Disneyland hotel). I never could convince Sally that my GPS might be able to figure out how to get me back to the hotels.

(And the one time I decided to follow Sally's directions instead of the GPS I ended up on Harbor Blvd for an eternity - drove about twice the distance and time as the GPS had me go when we went TO her house.)

You know, it is all about traffic and local experience. GPS can get you the route, and yes traffic avoidance has improved a great deal, but someone who drives it every day will get you better information.
That being said, I am not that confident Sally drives that route every day :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom