::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I grew up with a bunch of folks from Laos. Many of them have 2 names. The name they were born with in Laos...and their American name. I believe that both were still legal names, like this article mentions. A lot of them retain the surname they were born with while adopting an Americanized first name.

A lot of these folks went through some traumatic circumstances to get here. If they want to have 2 names, in effort to hold on to their cultures, I have no issue with that.

I went to my ten year reunion and decided I probably won't go to another one. I really don't desire to reconnect with most of those peeps. But I understand most people love reconnecting. That's the best part of facebook. I just had people contacting me that I definitely want nothing to do with. I also had ex boyfriends trying to contact me. I realize that a lot of folks remain friends with thier former significant others, but I don't share that sentiment. Why would I want to reconnect with someone that treated me poorly? I even had privacy levels set, they were unreliable. Even though I don't have facebook, people still try to contact me through my older sister. If you throw an alarm clock at my face, as hard as you can, I'm not ever going to speak to you again!! That's the reason why I'm not on Facebook, and I keep my YouTube videos set as "unlisted." The kind of people I use to surround myself with are not the type of folk I choose to be around now.

It's totally different after 30 years.
My 10 year reunion meant very little to me, basically people were hanging with the same groups they were in high school still trying to act cool. Yeah, some creepy guys from my past tried to call me afterwards, I ignored them. 20 was okay. I took my husband, we had a good time. But at 30 I did reconnect. And a while back I went to a teachers funeral. That's when it really meant something. Also my high school has an all years picnic every summer, I finally went last year and had a really nice time. And a group of friends from the music department gather once in a while too. We have a private group on FB where we all keep in touch. It encompases about 7 years of students that were in music together. If someone from out of town is visiting, we make it a point to gather.

Last night I had a dream I was walking in the creek at UWC <3

Ahhhh, what a nice dream. Did you see Thom's picture of the field in snow? Soooo pretty.

I can't wait for June! I got new luggage too!

My 10 year reunion meant very little to me, basically people were hanging with the same groups they were in high school still trying to act cool. Yeah, some creepy guys from my past tried to call me afterwards, I ignored them. 20 was okay. I took my husband, we had a good time. But at 30 I did reconnect. And a while back I went to a teachers funeral. That's when it really meant something. Also my high school has an all years picnic every summer, I finally went last year and had a really nice time. And a group of friends from the music department gather once in a while too. We have a private group on FB where we all keep in touch. It encompases about 7 years of students that were in music together. If someone from out of town is visiting, we make it a point to gather.

That sounds really nice. Maybe at my 30 year, I'll reconsider. My 20 year reunion is not far off. I'm not planning on going. I have been to a teacher's funeral a few months ago. It was hard and I got real emotional when I was talking to his wife. I was close to them both when I was in junior high.

We're headed back into the 80's. Our rain/hail/snow is long forgotten.

I believe they said that our Febuary was the coldest on record. I'm longing for yhe days where we can comfortably leave the windows open 24/7.

Ironically Matt's real Thai name is Methasit and his nickname in Thailand was "Boy". Neither of them would go over well here, I suggested Matt and he liked it, but it was his decision. He told me a few weeks ago occasionally some kid will call him "Meth" as a joke/teasing.

I think Brown should be easier to spell, 'cause us 'Merkins (yes, I know what a merkin is) don't spell so gud and stuff.

Oh, I also think her political career should be thrown to the vultures.

That article is from 2009. She lost her next election is 2010.

Link

Agreed.

A 30 is MUCH different than a 10 or 20.

MOST people are finally okay with themselves and don't try to "prove" anything to anyone. It was a really good time.

LOL.

Didn't even check that. It just appeared on a Huffington Post feed or someone else's FB page.

The person that posted it was probably unaware of the date, too. I also notice that a lot of articles I read, online, don't even have dates on them.

LOL.

Didn't even check that. It just appeared on a Huffington Post feed or someone else's FB page.

The person that posted it was probably unaware of the date, too. I also notice that a lot of articles I read, online, don't even have dates on them.

Yeah, sometimes you really have to dig around for a date on an article. It's something I only recently started doing when I noticed things in my feed I distinctly remember from a few years ago.

The internet has a short memory.

Agreed.

A 30 is MUCH different than a 10 or 20.

MOST people are finally okay with themselves and don't try to "prove" anything to anyone. It was a really good time.

I didn't even know most of the peeps at my ten year reunion. Never even heard of them. I had almost 900 kids in my graduating class. Our reunion was expensive to attend... there was maybe 200 there. Maybe not even that. I knew maybe 20...and I could count the people I considered friends, or acquaintances, on one hand.

I didn't even know most of the peeps at my ten year reunion. Never even heard of them. I had almost 900 kids in my graduating class. Our reunion was expensive to attend... there was maybe 200 there. Maybe not even that. I knew maybe 20...and I could count the people I considered friends, or acquaintances, on one hand.

See, that's the thing. It wasn't about hanging out with friends. It was more about making new friendships out of old acquaintances. I "met" lots of people.

But if you have the mindset you're going to have a lousy time, you probably will. Funny how that works.

See, that's the thing. It wasn't about hanging out with friends. It was more about making new friendships out of old acquaintances. I "met" lots of people.

But if you have the mindset you're going to have a lousy time, you probably will. Funny how that works.

I didn't go in with a lousy mindset. I didn't have a horrible time. I'm the type that can have a good time, anywhere. It just wasn't all that great, or worth the money. A group from the reunion ended up going to a dance club nearby, and there were people there from other classes. It was more fun. I think there were other people from my class that was at that bar, because the cover was only like 5 bucks, instead of $80. We stayed there for a bit.... then Hubs and I decided to go to one of my fave blues bar and watch some good music before we went back to our hotel.

Instead of going to another reunion, and paying a stupid amount of cash, I could just go to whatever bar they will end up in, and wait for people to show up there. LOL the after party.

I didn't go in with a lousy mindset. I didn't have a horrible time. I'm the type that can have a good time, anywhere. It just wasn't all that great, or worth the money. A group from the reunion ended up going to a dance club nearby, and there were people there from other classes. It was more fun. I think there were other people from my class that was at that bar, because the cover was only like 5 bucks, instead of $80. We stayed there for a bit.... then Hubs and I decided to go to one of my fave blues bar and watch some good music before we went back to our hotel.

Sorry Deb. Totally looks like that last part I was speaking to you directly. Just a random thought. Sorry if I offended you. My thoughts wander. I was actually thinking of myself. When I've gone into something thinking it's going to suck, it usually does.

Very scattered today.

Have a lot to do that I don't want to, and not enough time to do it either. Need to prepare for a sub. Kid has a fever so I'm staying home tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom