::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUESTION OF THE DAY

What is your earliest distinct memory?

Mine is taking shelter in our basement during a big tornado. 1980, so I was 4.

Mine is our family trip to the worlds fair, in '67. I don't remember anything special about the fair, but I remember every night, when we got back to our room, my sister and I would take our shoes and sock off, and lay on the bed, and my dad would spray our feet with foot spray, cause our feet hurt so bad from walking all day. It probably didn't help, and I have no idea what he was actually spraying, but it made us feel better. I wold have been 3 or 4, depending what month it was, I don't remember.

Pretty much the same for me, although I might make the extremes 39 and 89.... ;)

I have never felt more exactly my age than yesterday. Dad and I went toe to toe. I'm glad I am fully an adult and able to stand my ground and set boundaries these days.

Waving to my mom through the window of her hospital room while my dad and I were on the sidewalk when my sister was born. I was 2 1/2.

And now I feel old. In 1980 I was starting my senior year of high school :)

You? In 1980 my kid was starting kindergarten....

I have never felt more exactly my age than yesterday. Dad and I went toe to toe. I'm glad I am fully an adult and able to stand my ground and set boundaries these days.

(((Freeda))) It's bad enough having to deal with your mom's issues, without having to butt heads with your dad, too....

Freeda has fully entered the sandwich generation, I think it is called. Ya worry about your kids and your parents.

I still haven't decided how lucky or not I am not to have to deal with ageing parents.

My memory? I used to have a distinct memory of waving at my dad. But I could not have been older than 2 so I'm not sure if I really remember it or not. I also think I remember my family all going to a funeral but I stayed home. I remember them all dressed up and going out.

Mine is our family trip to the worlds fair, in '67. I don't remember anything special about the fair, but I remember every night, when we got back to our room, my sister and I would take our shoes and sock off, and lay on the bed, and my dad would spray our feet with foot spray, cause our feet hurt so bad from walking all day. It probably didn't help, and I have no idea what he was actually spraying, but it made us feel better. I wold have been 3 or 4, depending what month it was, I don't remember.

Your father was probably using a variation of my father's "magic cookie" cure.

When a little kid, be it neighbor or relative, was crying over a scraped knee or some other minor mishap, Dad would offer to fix it with a magic cookie. The kid would invariably agree, and Dad would disappear into the kitchen, and then reappear with an Oreo, or a Chips Ahoy, or any other ordinary cookie. He'd tell the kid, very seriously, that this was a magic cookie, and that if they held it on the part that hurt, the pain would go away and they could stop crying. Then, once the pain went away they could eat the cookie. But, they couldn't eat the cookie until the pain went away.

It worked every time....

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Being given a bath in the sink when I was an infant. My mom says there is no way I could remember it, but I do. I was worried about hitting my head.

Your father was probably using a variation of my father's "magic cookie" cure.

When a little kid, be it neighbor or relative, was crying over a scraped knee or some other minor mishap, Dad would offer to fix it with a magic cookie. The kid would invariably agree, and Dad would disappear into the kitchen, and then reappear with an Oreo, or a Chips Ahoy, or any other ordinary cookie. He'd tell the kid, very seriously, that this was a magic cookie, and that if they held it on the part that hurt, the pain would go away and they could stop crying. Then, once the pain went away they could eat the cookie. But, they couldn't eat the cookie until the pain went away.

It worked every time....

Awesome story. Funny how it works, too.

I was four years old and was at the next door neighbor's house. She was babysitting us while my parents were away. We were playing in the back yard and the neighbor gave us bananas to have as a snack. Unbeknownst to me, a yellow jacket had landed on the end of the banana just as I was about to take a bite. I bit into it and was stung inside my mouth. The postman happened to be delivering mail at that very moment and heard my screams. He rushed to me before the neighbor lady got to me. I spit the bee into his hand. Funny...I have no earlier memories that involved my own family...it was the neighbor, the bee and the postman.

Eventually I want to head out on a tuna charter. Going to see if my parents would be willing to put a chest freezer in their garage. My garage is for a single car and it's full of our family toys.

Since I rarely golf these days I have a little more cash than I used to so we might get a couple of kayaks. Totally outfitting them for fishing if we do.

Tuna fishing out of San Diego on a long range trip is the best in the world, and the meals on the better boats are amazing. I used to have a ocean kayak prowler 13. I added a live bait well to it. Love the way I had that set up. I even won a fishing tournament in newport with it. They had a tournament tour called the plastic navy.

I've been studying online materials about how to read surf so I can optimize my chances. I usually release what I catch. This year I've kept a couple perch, a few mackerel and a salmon that ran into my line at the Santa Cruz wharf of all places. Must have been lost!

Wow a salmon. That is really cool. We used to have salmon in Newport Canyon and people caught them on the piers. A commercial fisherman illegally netted them in the middle of the night. This was years ago. As far as I know that was the last of the salmon. There are a few steelhead down by Laguna Beach. In regards to reading the surf. Just get a tide book at a tackle store or look it up online. Incoming tides are the best. Some tides will be larger than others every month. The bigger the incoming tide the better. The dream scenario is a large incoming tide at sunset. The fish go nuts.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Here are a few.

I was laying in a crib looking at a mobile on the ceiling. Have no idea how old I was.

A Rabbit cake my mom made me when I was two. I was asking for another cake shaped like a rabbit for years after that. It must have been some good cake. It had cream cheese frosting.

Sharing a mini chiclets gum pack with a girl named Nancy Pope in the back seat of my dad's car while we were driving to Yosemite, and sitting on my dad's shoulders looking at a bear on that same trip. I was four.

I was four years old and was at the next door neighbor's house. She was babysitting us while my parents were away. We were playing in the back yard and the neighbor gave us bananas to have as a snack. Unbeknownst to me, a yellow jacket had landed on the end of the banana just as I was about to take a bite. I bit into it and was stung inside my mouth. The postman happened to be delivering mail at that very moment and heard my screams. He rushed to me before the neighbor lady got to me. I spit the bee into his hand. Funny...I have no earlier memories that involved my own family...it was the neighbor, the bee and the postman.

That sounds like the opening for a bar joke.

Welcome to the thread.

My wallet is getting accosted at the Honda dealership.

It hurts and not in a good way.

I sooooo miss the days of being able to work on my car in the driveway. This is ridiculous!

And how the hell do you break a motor mount?!?!?!?! This "oil change" is going to cost over a grand. Also getting my valves adjusted and spark plugs replaced.

So pissed about the cost of what used to be minor repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom