::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have a problem with that too, but that's not how I use the term.

It's a term used for the repeated sexual desire to engage with children (usually 13 and under). It's not used for people who "notice" someone but rather someone who obsesses over someone under age. Me telling Mika that my 12 year old niece is going to break some hearts because she is all legs and very pretty doesn't qualify me for being a pedophile, but if I were to repeatedly have sexual desires for her. Yes. Pedophile.

What about your teacher friend?
What if my 17 year old daughter is being obsessed by an 18 year old neighbor boy? Most 18 year old boys are obsessed with sex.
I'm just saying the lines they've drawn in the law are clear and lump the neighbor boy in with Freedas creepy teacher.

I don't think I could ever date a student/former student. I see them as children. Even as worldly as some of them try to be and appear to be physically, they still often act like children. I feel more like a protective relative.

I like to think I help them find their way to being responsible, good people.
I have a few boys tell me each year they are going to grow up and marry me. Lol
But it's cute because they are 4.

On a serious note I don't think I could date someone significantly younger than me. There is nothing about that I find appealing.

Just being the devils advocate here. I feel it's a terrible injustice to lump a true pedophile (someone who messes with an under 13 year old child) in with an adult who made a bad decision such as the poor guy in my neighborhood.

On a serious note I don't think I could date someone significantly younger than me. There is nothing about that I find appealing.

Wait until you're older, I'll send you an application to CU.

Just being the devils advocate here. I feel it's a terrible injustice to lump a true pedophile (someone who messes with an under 13 year old child) in with an adult who made a bad decision such as the poor guy in my neighborhood.

The way the law reads, some kid could date a girl all through high school and then get arrested when he turns 18 if the girl's parents don't like him.

I am dating someone significantly younger than me. But as I am very old, pretty much everyone is significantly younger than me.

Nope, there's a lot of little herring in the part of the bay where we go crabbing, but to try to fish for them would mean fishing licenses as well as the shellfish license - not worth it. We get enough rings in the water that we can keep a pretty steady rhythm of pulling rings, tossing crabs back, adding Smelly Jelly to the bait bag, resetting the ring.

There were a lot of pelicans and cormorants out fishing yesterday, though! It's really fun to watch the pelicans dive on those schools of herring!

In California you don't need a fishing license to fish from the piers.

We still have anchovies schooling in the Monterey Bay. Last month we got to see a whale breech about 30 yards away from us while we were fishing in Santa Cruz. Trying to get James to like fishing so when we go out we always have a fun back up plan or two. We catch quite a few perch at the pier.

Unfortunately THE LAW has a hard time dealing with "what if" scenarios. That's supposed to be something judges can take care of - determining when the law as written doesn't apply in a certain case. Laws are being written now to remove judges' abilities to use their judgement (that IS why they're referred to judges, isn't it?) with mandatory sentencing. Juries are also not allowed to use extenuating circumstances in determining guilt or innocence. They are told that they must view facts as presented and apply them to the letter of the law. Justice isn't always just or fair, unfortunately.

My "what if..." would be 2 teenagers going steady. The boy is, say, 17 when they start dating, the girl 16. When the boy turns 18 does he have to call things off for a year so he's not breaking the law? That stinks... (I thought Oregon had a guideline that covered that case, but I'm not so sure, and different states do different things...)

I'm weird. I mostly don't like fruit in my baked goods. Pancakes and waffles can have nuts, chocolate, carmel etc, but fruit? No. And I like my fruit like fruit, not all chopped up in goey sugary liquid.

The sugar in fruit in the waffles makes them stick.

What if my 17 year old daughter is being obsessed by an 18 year old neighbor boy? Most 18 year old boys are obsessed with sex.
I'm just saying the lines they've drawn in the law are clear and lump the neighbor boy in with Freedas creepy teacher.

If my teacher friend wouldn't have off'd himself he would have been my ex friend because he crossed that line from pedophile (appropriate term here) to predator/child molester.

The blurred lines you're dancing around trying to be "devils advocate" are indeed blurred. Age of consent comes in to play, willingness of the victim, and a whole slew of other issues that vary from case to case.

What I'm talking about is clearly not what you want to stir controversy around. Nobody would agree that an adult having sex or wanting to have sex with a child (again I'm referring to those clearly below the age of consent) is a good thing.

Unless you clearly disliked the 18 year old neighbor boy I would suspect your daughter dating him would be fine with you. I would have no problem with it if I approved of the boy. I dated a girl in high school when I was 19/20. We were set up by her DAD.

If my teacher friend wouldn't have off'd himself he would have been my ex friend because he crossed that line from pedophile (appropriate term here) to predator/child molester.

The blurred lines you're dancing around trying to be "devils advocate" are indeed blurred. Age of consent comes in to play, willingness of the victim, and a whole slew of other issues that vary from case to case.

What I'm talking about is clearly not what you want to stir controversy around. Nobody would agree that an adult having sex or wanting to have sex with a child (again I'm referring to those clearly below the age of consent) is a good thing.

Unless you clearly disliked the 18 year old neighbor boy I would suspect your daughter dating him would be fine with you. I would have no problem with it if I approved of the boy. I dated a girl in high school when I was 19/20. We were set up by her DAD.

The way the law reads, some kid could date a girl all through high school and then get arrested when he turns 18 if the girl's parents don't like him.

In California there's a stipulation that if they had a pre existing relationship the parent's wouldn't be able to do this. Just heard about this recently.

In California there's a stipulation that if they had a pre existing relationship the parent's wouldn't be able to do this. Just heard about this recently.

That's good to know.

And your friends story is very sad.

I am dating someone significantly younger than me. But as I am very old, pretty much everyone is significantly younger than me.

Wait until you're older, I'll send you an application to CU.

Maybe I will change my mind when I'm older you never know.
But right now I'm 24 and the youngest I could date is 18. Which is the same age as my youngest brother. Knowing the maturity level of most 18 year olds, I don't see myself justifying that.

That's good to know.

And your friends story is very sad.

It made me seriously consider whether a person should have a chance to be rehabilitated after serving their sentence for their crime. It makes it much, much more real when it's someone you thought you knew.

I started to question my earlier stance that child molesters should just die. It's a tough and taboo topic. I do still think repeat offenders need to be dealt with much more severely. It's a mental health issue that vicitmizes others.

And I really don't have enough knowledge about mental health issues to talk with any authority.

Actually a serious relationship doesn't appeal to me anyway lol

So I peek my head in here for the first time in a long time and we're discussing:

Creepy teachers
Boobies
Homebrewing
Waffles
Beer
Boobies

Nothing has changed. Except my age. And the age of that old man, Bobby Curtis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom