::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend plans: tomorrow we dump the girls at my brother-in-law's place in McMinnville (45 minutes SW of us), then turn around and head to Leavenworth, Washington for a grown-ups weekend.

I'm so excited!

I have a feeling we will have a lot to be thankful for.
oh how fun!! Enjoy yourselves!!

In college, we decided for a time to replace the word "thank" for a certain f-word. It allowed us to curse at people without them knowing it. So, thank you all. And there are a few of you I'd like to thank more than once.

Ahh thank ya. Thank ya verra much.

Our school is having a canned food drive right now.

I got so pissed at a class I had to leave before I started swearing at them. Two girls were trying to talk to the class about the importance of giving to the needy etc. and the majority of the class was making little snide comments like "I have an old toothbrush they can have" and just BS like that . . . and I totally lost it. Its hard keeping my tongue in check every day with these little entitled sh*ts but today I snapped. I tore into them and let 'em have it. I was so disgusted with them that I actually stormed out of my class.

School has been out for about thirty minutes now and I've received about a dozen apologies on email and another two groups of kids came in person to say they were sorry for the way they've been acting and treating the canned food drive like a joke.

I really do hope they "get it."

*#$&#$ little *$&$*&#s!!!!!!!

Hopefully Gary said a heartfelt THANK YOU to all the students who disrupted his class.

I got so pissed at a class I had to leave before I started swearing at them. Two girls were trying to talk to the class about the importance of giving to the needy etc. and the majority of the class was making little snide comments like "I have an old toothbrush they can have" and just BS like that . . . and I totally lost it. Its hard keeping my tongue in check every day with these little entitled sh*ts but today I snapped. I tore into them and let 'em have it. I was so disgusted with them that I actually stormed out of my class.

School has been out for about thirty minutes now and I've received about a dozen apologies on email and another two groups of kids came in person to say they were sorry for the way they've been acting and treating the canned food drive like a joke.

Kids. Sometimes you just have to say Thank You.

Oh, and for Sally, and anyone else who cares:
Nanilei is pronounced

Gnaw
Knee
Lay

Hawaiian, like pretty much every language other than English, only has one set of rules for pronunciation.

a is always like father
e is always like neighbor
i is always like see (Si for you Spanish speakers)
o is always like Ho
u is always like boo

so Honolulu is ho no loo loo - not "Hah nah lew lew"
Vowels are all pronounced individually - hui is "hoo ee" not whooey.
the `okina is a consonant - like the little stop when you say "uh oh" and it emphasizes that break between vowel sounds.
the words will also have different meanings.
`ai = food
ai = coition (yup, you read that right)
`a`i = neck, jugular vein

There are only a few weird things that happen as you learn the language. Sometimes you pronounce W as a V and sometimes you don't. This can depend on the speaker as well. I still struggle with this one.

SOME words you do combine vowel sounds. Onaona - this word means sweet-smelling or fragrant - "the rules" will say that you pronounce this as "oh nah oh nah" - but sometimes people say "oh now nuh" and both are correct.

au is "ow" but is technically "ah oo" just said really fast. So Mauna (mountain) Loa (long)- Ma-oo na Low uh

Fun stuff, but once you get the hang of it it becomes pretty easy to say the words correctly, because you just follow the rules.
Even really long words like the state fish -
humuhumunukunukuapua`a

hoo moo hoo moo noo koo noo koo ah poo ah-ah

When you see the same syllables repeat, that is usually emphasis.

hulu = hairy
huluhulu = really hairy, furry

This is how I know you're a teacher, Gary. Because a lot of people could probably stand in front of a classroom and talk about stuff. But you taught those kids about respect, and actually changed their behavior. That's what teachers do.

Nanilei is pronounced

Gnaw
Knee
Lay

Hawaiian, like pretty much every language other than English, only has one set of rules for pronunciation.

a is always like father
o is always like Ho
u is always like boo

the `okina is a consonant - like the little stop when you say "uh oh" and it emphasizes that break between vowel sounds.
`ai = food

There are only a few weird things that happen as you learn the language. Sometimes you pronounce W as a V and sometimes you don't. This can depend on the speaker as well. I still struggle with this one.

SOME words you do combine vowel sounds. Onaona - this word means sweet-smelling or fragrant - "the rules" will say that you pronounce this as "oh nah oh nah" - but sometimes people say "oh now nuh" and both are correct.

au is "ow" but is technically "ah oo" just said really fast. So Mauna (mountain) Loa (long)- Ma-oo na Low uh

Fun stuff, but once you get the hang of it it becomes pretty easy to say the words correctly, because you just follow the rules.
humuhumunukunukuapua`a

hulu = hairy

Aldrine laughs at my pronunciation a lot. He thought me calling the last queen of Hawaii Queen Lili was hilarious. Like I know how to pronounce it?

Nanilei is pronounced

Gnaw
Knee
Lay

a is always like father
o is always like Ho
u is always like boo

`ai = food

humuhumunukunukuapua`a

hulu = hairy

Thank you, I always wondered.

Aldrine laughs at my pronunciation a lot. He thought me calling the last queen of Hawaii Queen Lili was hilarious. Like I know how to pronounce it?
That is kind of funny!
Queen Lili`uokalani

lee lee oo oh kah lah nee

Oh, and every syllable gets the same weight, unless it has a macron (bar) over it, then it is held a little longer.

So there is a town called Manoa (mah no ah) but there is supposed to be a macron over the a like this:
Mānoa
so you say that like mahhh no ah - you give that first syllable a little more duration. That is definitely the advanced class though, most locals don't go that far. It's kind of like the whole how do you pronounce ukulele thing if you start saying Mānoa like it is supposed to be said :D
You generally only hear people who really speak Hawaiian say it that way.

Nanilei is pronounced

Gnaw
Knee
Lay

a is always like father
o is always like Ho
u is always like boo

`ai = food

humuhumunukunukuapua`a

hulu = hairy

So I had that one wrong too. I thought nannylay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom