::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't play a musical instrument, I play the bass.

But seriously, be nice to your bass player, because he can derail your entire performance with an extra eighth note. Seriously, the bass player is like that "pull in case of emergency" cord in the train.

It's the start of a new semester and that means it's time for students who can't tell the Computer Science and Music departments apart to send me questions about taking piano and violin classes. I'm annoyed the prof over there has the same name as me and that he took my preferred mail address. I used to offer uke classes instead of what they asked for, but that confused them and caused more email, so now I'm just boring and point them in the right direction.

On the subject of social groups.

I've thought about buying a cabin deep in the woods and hiding there.
tumblr_lspmurmFEK1qzkanx.png

But seriously, be nice to your bass player, because he can derail your entire performance with an extra eighth note. Seriously, the bass player is like that "pull in case of emergency" cord in the train.

Bass players are awesome! I've never met one that I didn't enjoy playing with.

BBQ gets worked all year around here.
Last week I put the grill away for the first time ever - did not want it to get trashed during Iselle/Julio. Turns out that was not necessary. The grill is pretty much a regular appliance for me, I make at least one meal a week on it, often more.

I don't play a musical instrument, I play the bass.
Reminds me about that thread where the guy said the Pakini (washtub bass) is not a musical instrument. Man, that guy... I posted a video of this Hawaiian group where this lady plays Pakini - hers is actually an oil drum with a real double bass fingerboard and a single string, and she shreds on that thing, but he still claimed that it was not a real instrument because it can only approximate pitch. I replied, so ALL fretless basses are not real instruments then, because they are only approximate? I don't remember his reply, but it defied logic.

As a guitar player myself, I shouldn't encourage this anti-guitar player sentiment, but...

I play bass in my current band. You just don't capo a bass, so when we change keys, I need to transpose. When we try a new song, our lead guitarist will keep moving his capo until he finds a key that's suitable for his voice or for our female lead singer's voice. It's taken me some time, but I've gotten pretty good at transposing on the fly. It make my brain hurt sometimes, but I can keep up. I never really have the option of going off in the corner and thinking it through.

A little while ago, we were doing a song that felt like the right key, but the singer was really straining to hit a few of the high notes. She asked if we could transpose down so she wouldn't have to scream. The guitarist came back the next week with the song transposed down a step, and she fell all over herself, praising him for doing it so quickly. I wanted to scream, "I TRANSPOSE ON EVERY SONG, ON THE FLY, EVERY TIME THE GUITARS THROW A CAPO ON" but I didn't.

Mostly teasing... Mostly.

I can transpose on the fly if the progression isn't too complicated. I've only been doing this a few years and am self taught.

On a different note.
I've had it where I couldn't get what the group was doing and had to step away for a moment. And then said to myself well there it is. Of course by the time I returned they were on to the next song. So I got to start the process over again.

And now Don Pardo. If God isn't sad, I am.

God bless Don Pardo. When I was a kid, my brother was obsessed with the (original version of) Jeopardy! and I can still hear Don Pardo's voice from that show. He announced every episode of Saturday Night Live for 39 years (except for one year he was sacked, presumably for not being hip enough, but that didn't hold). A hell of a run, when you consider he was already in his mid-50's when the show first aired. He kept on working until the age of 96. A life well-lived, I'd say.

God bless Don Pardo. When I was a kid, my brother was obsessed with the (original version of) Jeopardy! and I can still hear Don Pardo's voice from that show. He announced every episode of Saturday Night Live for 39 years (except for one year he was sacked, presumably for not being hip enough, but that didn't hold). A hell of a run, when you consider he was already in his mid-50's when the show first aired. He kept on working until the age of 96. A life well-lived, I'd say.

KFOG, the greatest radio station in San Francisco in the 90s and oughts, had a feature, "10 at 10, ten great tunes from one great year." I don't know how they got him but Don Pardo recorded some stock intros and outros for that. I loved the camp seriousness of it. I remember him from Jeopardy! along with Art Fleming. Good times. RIP Don Pardo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom