::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One may debate anything but taste.

I prefer vocals and performers who vocalize, just as I prefer to play and sing over playing by itself. I'm not going to let an opportunity to see Jake or any of the other instrumentalists pass. What they draw out of our instrument goes far beyond my imagination. How else will I stretch my imagination to reveal new possibilities? Once I could not imagine playing above the 5th fret. Now I can. What will be next?

I live in a ukulele desert. Clearing the decks for any performer becomes pretty important. This does not mean that Jake's good and Aldrine isn't. They are different performers. Each takes his playing to the edges of his own imagination and talent. It's a win-win in my opinion.

I'm hoping to check out as much music as I can during my short stay on Oahu in July. Most of my time will be on Kauai. Just hitting Oahu for the festival really and four days at the Aulani for James. Mika got an incredible rate, better than Kama aina I think.

Just got bad news from a friend.

Colon cancer that spread to his liver. Incurable.

I'm bummed.

Thanks.

Mitsu-Ken added to the list.
This place is tough to get - only open from 5:30a - 1p and it is on North King St. in Kalihi. Huge line early in the morning. No tables (like Tanioka's). Garlic Chicken is what everyone gets (and it is good!) and I also tried the curry and it was good. Nanilei said the inari (cone sushi) was not that great, we got some futomaki and it was good but not as good as Tanioka's. This place is more for breakfast and bentos, they don't have all the seafood that Tanioka's does. Prices very reasonable. Ordering is intimidating - they ask you to wait outside, (there is usually a long line) and then holler for the next person to come inside, then you may order. You then feel rushed because you know all those outside are waiting. So try to grab a menu or get an idea of what you may want before you get inside. Next time I think will be better.

We also finally tried Bob's BBQ on Dillingham and Waikamilo street after driving past many many times. Looks like a total scary hole in the wall, but we always saw people eating there. Food was really good.

Just got bad news from a friend.

Colon cancer that spread to his liver. Incurable.

I'm bummed.

Oh man, yesterday I just heard about a guy I know had died from cancer.
He was my age had a tumor in his leg and just let it kill him, never went for treatment. I think he was depressed from long standing issues with an ex and child custody, it was sort of suicide by cancer.

Sorry to hear it Gary, that sort of thing is always just hard and I never feel like I know what to say about it.

This place is tough to get - only open from 5:30a - 1p and it is on North King St. in Kalihi. Huge line early in the morning. No tables (like Tanioka's). Garlic Chicken is what everyone gets (and it is good!) and I also tried the curry and it was good. Nanilei said the inari (cone sushi) was not that great, we got some futomaki and it was good but not as good as Tanioka's. This place is more for breakfast and bentos, they don't have all the seafood that Tanioka's does. Prices very reasonable. Ordering is intimidating - they ask you to wait outside, (there is usually a long line) and then holler for the next person to come inside, then you may order. You then feel rushed because you know all those outside are waiting. So try to grab a menu or get an idea of what you may want before you get inside. Next time I think will be better.

We also finally tried Bob's BBQ on Dillingham and Waikamilo street after driving past many many times. Looks like a total scary hole in the wall, but we always saw people eating there. Food was really good.

Cool.

counting on you and Stan for new places to try on Oahu. :)

Have you heard Justin Young? Watching/listening to him on Hi-Sessions. guitar singer song writer. I like his stuff.

I'm so sorry. Plan a day with him. Do something really fun and a bit reckless.

I'm sorry, jerry.

Oh man, yesterday I just heard about a guy I know had died from cancer.
He was my age had a tumor in his leg and just let it kill him, never went for treatment. I think he was depressed from long standing issues with an ex and child custody, it was sort of suicide by cancer.

Sorry to hear it Gary, that sort of thing is always just hard and I never feel like I know what to say about it.

Thanks all.

Feeling more bad for him than me. He just retired and was set to live his dream. Just seems so unfair. I won't feel cheated if something like this happens to me. I really feel like I was able to have so much fun before settling down that I kind of lived my retirement first. Would be seriously bummed not to be there for James though.

Better start that planking :)

I've been thinking she started with the Don Ho show when she was very young and plays for tourists pretty much exclusively. Maybe that's the problem.
I get what Jon is saying, but her performances seem to be just that - performances, like she is putting on a show, not that the music is making her do all those gyrations, etc.
Anyway, my opinion of her changed a little when she got that DUI, colliding with a police car in the process... Oops.

I get what Jon is saying, but her performances seem to be just that - performances, like she is putting on a show, not that the music is making her do all those gyrations, etc.
Anyway, my opinion of her changed a little when she got that DUI, colliding with a police car in the process... Oops.

The thing about that wreck though, from what I heard the cop ran into her and then smelled alcohol on her.

Thanks all.

Feeling more bad for him than me. He just retired and was set to live his dream. Just seems so unfair. I won't feel cheated if something like this happens to me. I really feel like I was able to have so much fun before settling down that I kind of lived my retirement first. Would be seriously bummed not to be there for James though.

Better start that planking :)

Please do!!! We could all do to make ourselves stronger and healthier.

The thing about that wreck though, from what I heard the cop ran into her and then smelled alcohol on her.

That's a bummer thing to happen when you are young. I understand a DUI costs about 10 grand.

In high school my Wendy bumped an off duty cops car in her school parking lot. He was NOT amused I understand. She was terrified.

Cool.

counting on you and Stan for new places to try on Oahu. :)

Have you heard Justin Young? Watching/listening to him on Hi-Sessions. guitar singer song writer. I like his stuff.

Yes, we like him too, his song Amnesia gets radio play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom