::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My badge at work says Jonathon. It used to say Jon, but the last time I got it renewed they said new policy required that they use your name according to your HR records.

Maybe someone tried to pull what Damon's guy did.

What did you do?

I would have told him to get the work order for me to change the name and I'll do it. His reporting to work or not is between him and his management.

HR handled it. I just re-named his AD account. It was the first in a series of odd requests. He did not last long at the company. He was an odd duck.

My badge at work says Jonathon. It used to say Jon, but the last time I got it renewed they said new policy required that they use your name according to your HR records.

When I think about it, it's kind of interesting who in my life decided to call me Michael instead of Mike. Mostly seems it was girls (or dudes) who had some interest in me.

So Nanilei's step mom - for the longest time we did not know if her name was Sharon or Shannon, there were people who seemed to call her by both names and she responded to both, and we had known her far too long to actually ASK her what her name was. It became kind of a joke, and we had our own name for her which was Sharnon. AAAAAAAAnyway we came to find out from Nanilei's dad, who told us one day that she was actually bummed that we did not call her mom, so a new name was born, ShanMom, which now everyone calls her, and she has embraced it with Aloha. She even uses it herself!

I get nervous if someone calls me Debra. I feel like someone is mad at me if they use my real name. When I was a kid, my entire family called me Katie since I also have an aunt named Debbie. I hated it. So then I was called Debby. They called us Big Debbie and Little Debby. My grandpa always called me Flossy. I don't know why. I didn't mind it. I don't think I ever heard him call me Debby. I almost chose Flossy as my name on here. I don't know why I didn't.

I do think it was blown out of proportion, but as an elected official, you DO need to watch what you say or how you say it, especially on the public record.

I know exactly what she is talking about though, and I have had to deal with it myself as an IT administrator.

For example my Korean friend Jae Kim. But he goes by David. I said, "If you want to Americanize your name, why not just go by Jay?"
He said that "David" is actually the name that his parents gave him when the family moved to America when he was an infant. David really is his name given by his parents, not just something he adopted himself. His birth certificate and passport shows Jae.
His driver's license reads David.

I can see how this can cause problems for things like voter registration and/or checking in at polling places.

There are TONS of people who work here in this office that have one name for a login, one name for email, and a nickname that you address them with.
I think if she is having trouble with Asian names in Texas, her head would explode in Hawaii.

I bet she's used to Maria and Juan.

It just seems like a really stupid and ignorant thing for her to even bring up.

As long as people don't refer to me as Mr. Hughes I'm fine. I don't like it at all - too formal. I have asked parents at church to please ask their kids to call me by my first name. The Mr. makes me very uncomfortable.

I bet she's used to Maria and Juan.

It just seems like a really stupid and ignorant thing for her to even bring up.

I've been adding people to the network at work today. I've seen Indian, Chinese, German, Polish, Russian names...those were just the ones that I felt like I could identify their origin. Lots of really cool names. My sister's last name is Polish and throws people all the time - her husband told me once there are only 75 people in the US that they can tell who have that last name.

It's all a part of what makes the world beautiful and interesting. Frankly, a world full of Betty Browns would be pretty damn boring.

There was a comedian who did a routine about names - he had a line about the credits in Hawaii 5-0 (the original show) where he said, "Kam Fong as Chin Ho? What's the difference? Do Chinese people see American movies and say, 'Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, what's the difference?'"

Oh, I just remembered another one, also Korean - His name is Kyle. I was trying to delete his profile on a terminal server and could not find any that started with K and had his last name.

That's because his login starts with S, because his legal name is Sock-Ho. Yeah, like that.

I agree! I love this kind of stuff! That's one of the cool things about doing genealogy is analyzing all the cool surnames. Then seeing if you are right, as you follow the paper trail. I have some interesting names in my tree, too!

I've been adding people to the network at work today. I've seen Indian, Chinese, German, Polish, Russian names...those were just the ones that I felt like I could identify their origin. Lots of really cool names. My sister's last name is Polish and throws people all the time - her husband told me once there are only 75 people in the US that they can tell who have that last name.

It's all a part of what makes the world beautiful and interesting. Frankly, a world full of Betty Browns would be pretty damn boring.

When I think about it, it's kind of interesting who in my life decided to call me Michael instead of Mike. Mostly seems it was girls (or dudes) who had some interest in me.

My husband was Michael until we had baby Michael. Then he became Mike. Baby Michael has remained Michael. I call him Mic. He is Irish and has reddish hair, it fits.

My grandmas name was Betty Brown. Ha!

15 inches of snow today. Bought a snow shovel yesterday.

Wish I hadnt.

I hope it wasn't a cheap one. I bought a cheap snow shovel. 2 in fact. The first one has a cracked handle...cracked metal handle...so we try not to use it. The second is basically made out of wax paper. I was using it to clear the slush/ice/snow/muck boulders from the bottom of the driveway. It is a POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom