::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mailman,

Learning new ukulele skills is not always fun. But, after you learn them it becomes really fun.
I have struggled with tremolo for about 6 months. Seriously...I used to hit it about 25% of the time. Then with practice, it got to be about 50%. Yada, yada....today I hit it about 95% of the time and the remaining 5% is there, just not the way it should be. Patience, young grasshopper.....you will learn if you want to, and you will look back and be amazed how far you have come.

Car camping. Hah! When we were at Tybee Island last year somebody across from us was camping in an old woody station wagon with a tent attached to the back end.

The kicker? They had a house window air conditioner in the front window of the car. I thought that took some ingenuity.
That is good. Smart smart smart.

Speaking of mowing--I'm buying a new mower.

Here it is.

I did not pay the price listed. Got it on interest free credit. Paying $50 less a month for it, then I was paying somebody to do our lawn. The guys have been doing a really crappy job lately, and haven't showed up in 2 weeks. Even factoring in price of gas and my time, I'll still come out ahead.

Thats nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Sukie. I'm still trying. It's just frustrating at the moment.

There is no instruction going on, here. It's kind of a "sink or swim" scenario. I'm just not sure how to progress from this point. I'll keep at it....

Dear Mailman,

Learning new ukulele skills is not always fun. But, after you learn them it becomes really fun.
I have struggled with tremolo for about 6 months. Seriously...I used to hit it about 25% of the time. Then with practice, it got to be about 50%. Yada, yada....today I hit it about 95% of the time and the remaining 5% is there, just not the way it should be. Patience, young grasshopper.....you will learn if you want to, and you will look back and be amazed how far you have come.

Last edited:
QUESTION OF THE DAY

What is your favorite holiday? Why? Favorite holiday memory or tradition?

I think I'd have to say Thanksgiving. I love a traditional turkey dinner, and the time spent with family and friends. There's much less stress than there is at Christmas, what with the shopping and the decorating....

Alright Gary, I know there's a story as to why you're up so late. Even though it's a weekend, school is in session, and you've normally passed out by now.

'Sup, besides you?

Fell asleep early for two hours and now I can't get back to sleep.

So, I'm back from the jam session. I didn't find out until I arrived at the church that we were being displaced by a wedding. Luckily, I wasn't the only one that showed up there, and the other guy got a call on his cellphone to tell him about the change. We just relocated to the home of one of the players, which wasn't far away. I had been called, also, but on my home phone, and I was out to breakfast before the jam.

I've got to admit that the jam was not as much fun for me today. There were four others there, including an accordion and a five string banjo. Those suckers are LOUD! Someone decided to play Hava Nagila (sp?), and that led to 20 minutes of improvisation on the Fiddler on the Roof score. I was at a complete loss. I just don't have (yet) whatever it takes to be able to tell what they're playing.

I spent most of my time just sitting and listening. The only times I actually get to play, it seems, are the times when I "lead" a song....because I use my song sheets. The leader of the group made a comment about sheet music being an "unfortunate crutch". Ouch.

Oh, well. I'll continue to go, at least for a while. When it stops being fun, I'll just bow out....

Hey Don. I'm sort of at the same place. I can hang (mostly) in the local uke group. But when the cool kids start picking or playing chord melody I'm lost. There is a local group that is meeting to work on advanced skills but I'm not free when they meet. Sarah is teaching me chord melody. I get the concept. I also get the concept of substituting 2nd position chords for the 1st position chords on the chord sheet, but I don't know them well enough yet to do it. The sheet music Sarah has me working on have chords, chord melody in TAB, and standard notation. All I'm really doing is learning the TAB by rote. It's a steep climb. Best I can do is put one finger in front of the other.

Maybe it's time you invested in a few lessons?

I have Uncle Rod's Ukulele Bootcamp. I wish there was a 2nd position version of it. Sarah's going to have to miss a lesson due to her performance schedule. Maybe this will make a good project while she's gone. Hmmm...

Hey Don. I'm sort of at the same place. I can hang (mostly) in the local uke group. But when the cool kids start picking or playing chord melody I'm lost. There is a local group that is meeting to work on advanced skills but I'm not free when they meet. Sarah is teaching me chord melody. I get the concept. I also get the concept of substituting 2nd position chords for the 1st position chords on the chord sheet, but I don't know them well enough yet to do it. The sheet music Sarah has me working on have chords, chord melody in TAB, and standard notation. All I'm really doing is learning the TAB by rote. It's a steep climb. Best I can do is put one finger in front of the other.

Maybe it's time you invested in a few lessons?

I have Uncle Rod's Ukulele Bootcamp. I wish there was a 2nd position version of it. Sarah's going to have to miss a lesson due to her performance schedule. Maybe this will make a good project while she's gone. Hmmm...

I'm more interested in the possibility of learning second position chords than I am in learning chord melody. I am much more a strummer than I am a picker. A Boot Camp for second position chords would be great!

Part of the problem for me is actually remembering stuff. I can memorize and remember chords, and have done so fairly well in first position. The thing about picking chord melody is that it's different for every song. I can't even remember the chord progressions for songs I've played many times, much less a melody specific picking pattern!

Maybe I'm just destined to need song sheets in order to play?

My all time favorite is Halloween! Love to dress up! The best time it is, we wish the kids were born a few days earlier but Day of the Dead is a good close second!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom